FWB 2700 opinions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jhodge

FWB 2700 opinions

Post by jhodge »

Hey Guys,

Don't hear much about the FWB 2700. I am a highpower shooter wanting to get into smallbore, and looking for a suitable rifle. My choices seem to be the Walther KK500, KK300, the Aunschutz 54.30 or 1913, or the FWB 2700. All are in the budget, but for a guy at my level ( that is to say new ) thinking the FWB 2700 would be better than me for some time. Thinking right now that I would either go the "budget" route, and get the FWB, or go full out and get the KK500. For whatever reason, the Anschutz just isn't doing it for me. What are your opinions on the FWB?

Thanks,

Jay
Piefou

Re: FWB 2700 opinions

Post by Piefou »

A great smallbore rifle, as the Anschutz 19xx and KK300.

If you have the budget to get a KK500, go with it, it's a real step forward, not as expensive as Grunig/Bleiker.

Are you a prone-only shooter or 3po ?

You can also consider an action of your choice with a EC Universal Concept, certainly the best stock :)
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

For now, prone only. I have used Anschuts sight, and they're great. How do the sights and triggers between the 3 compare?

Jay
coolcruiser

Post by coolcruiser »

The FWB 2700 is a fine rifle. I have a 2602 that is the previous model. Bought it new in 2002 and have used it for a variety of shooting. My skill level has suffered lately but a few years ago i used this rifle to set several NRA 50 yard records. The FWB is beautifully finished, has an excellent trigger, a quality barrel, good no-tool adjustments and comes with perfectly usable sights. My rifle is scoped with a Weaver 24X with a 1/4 minute dot. Highly recommend.
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

All of the rifles you are looking at are good rifles, each has it own pluses and minuses. ANS. rail accessories fit on the FWB rail so you can interchange, FWB to ANS. handstops and palm risers, where the Walther stuff is its own dovetail.

I own a FWB 2700 and several Anschutz rifles, they are very comparable. I like the "feel" of the FWB stock. The ANS. stocks are the wood (1800 series) vs. the aluminum FWB stock so that might be part of it. The adjustment part of each rifle is easily done while in position, FWB or ANS.

My FWB came without sights so I put an ANS. rear on it and a FWB front sight on. The FWB rear dovetail is almost the same as the ANS. so the ANS. rear sights work on the FWB. The front sight is its own animal.

The triggers on either of the FWB or ANS. are very adjustable and either can set to your liking. So that's a push.

Any of the rifles you listed will serve you well in either 3 position or prone.

Hope you find one you like,
Scott
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Thanks for all the good info guys. Right now I'm still leaning towards the FWB 2700 as being the rifle for me. I won't be home for another week or so, so I still have time to decide.

Jay
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

jhodge wrote:Hey Guys,

Don't hear much about the FWB 2700. I am a highpower shooter wanting to get into smallbore, and looking for a suitable rifle. My choices seem to be the Walther KK500, KK300, the Aunschutz 54.30 or 1913, or the FWB 2700. All are in the budget, but for a guy at my level ( that is to say new ) thinking the FWB 2700 would be better than me for some time. Thinking right now that I would either go the "budget" route, and get the FWB, or go full out and get the KK500. For whatever reason, the Anschutz just isn't doing it for me. What are your opinions on the FWB?

Thanks,

Jay
Right now, I own a KK300 and an Anschutz 1813. Between the two, the trigger on the KK300 is superior. As the current 54.3 uses the same trigger as the 18xx/19xx/20xx (the 5018 model), I would lean towards the Walther.

I have handled the KK500 and with the improved loading port closer to the shooter, it is a definite advantage along with the fact that the rifle is sold complete w/ all accessories that you need. With my KK300, all other accessories from Anschutz, etc. fit with no issues, but the sight dovetail is in fact different on the front sight. No issue as that was replaced with an extension tube.

I have, in full disclosure, never shot a FWB 2700 but have handled a few. Stock is very durable being made out of machined aluminum billet, but for my taste was a tad bit front heavy. Again, this is where some personal preference comes into play.

If you have the option to wait a few weeks, I would recommend attending some smallbore matches and talk to some shooters, who will almost always let you pick up the rifles and see how they feel. While it would not be an opportunity to shoot them for an extended period, you can at least feel the grip, etc.

The FWB 2700s are not as popular as the Anschtuz or even the Walthers, at least in PA at the clubs where I shoot. If what the current crop of ISU winners are using makes any impact, the FWBs are not really present on the line as it is more dominated by Walther and Bleiker.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

jhodge wrote:Hey Guys,

Thanks,

Jay
Right now, I own a KK300 and an Anschutz 1813. Between the two, the trigger on the KK300 is superior. As the current 54.3 uses the same trigger as the 18xx/19xx/20xx (the 5018 model), I would lean towards the Walther.

I have handled the KK500 and with the improved loading port closer to the shooter, it is a definite advantage along with the fact that the rifle is sold complete w/ all accessories that you need. With my KK300, all other accessories from Anschutz, etc. fit with no issues, but the sight dovetail is in fact different on the front sight. No issue as that was replaced with an extension tube.

I have, in full disclosure, never shot a FWB 2700 but have handled a few. Stock is very durable being made out of machined aluminum billet, but for my taste was a tad bit front heavy. Again, this is where some personal preference comes into play.

If you have the option to wait a few weeks, I would recommend attending some smallbore matches and talk to some shooters, who will almost always let you pick up the rifles and see how they feel. While it would not be an opportunity to shoot them for an extended period, you can at least feel the grip, etc.

The FWB 2700s are not as popular as the Anschtuz or even the Walthers, at least in PA at the clubs where I shoot. If what the current crop of ISU winners are using makes any impact, the FWBs are not really present on the line as it is more dominated by Walther and Bleiker.
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

I am in no real hurry. I will go to the next smallbore match and see what's there. I appreciate all the good input. I know all of the rifles I'm looking at will outshoot me for some time, so I want to get the one that I really like. All the rifles from the FWB 2700 to the KK500 are in the budget, but the Bleiker and G&E are not.

Jay
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

I would go #1 kk500, #2 ahg 54.30, distant third fwb.

Loading port is the biggest feature difference between the three, especially for prone only shooting building a position around reloading is key. The first two, and really the kk500 or kk300 are the best of the "reasonably" priced rifles for loading- compared to grunig or Bleiker.

Fwb make great rifles, but they are very similar to old ahg for loading port accessibility. The others have gotten better.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

mgdietrich wrote:I would go #1 kk500, #2 ahg 54.30, distant third fwb.

Loading port is the biggest feature difference between the three, especially for prone only shooting building a position around reloading is key. The first two, and really the kk500 or kk300 are the best of the "reasonably" priced rifles for loading- compared to grunig or Bleiker.

Fwb make great rifles, but they are very similar to old ahg for loading port accessibility. The others have gotten better.

As an FWB 2700 user, I couldn't agree more with this statement. I am currently using the FWB 2700 Alu Rest version, for prone shooting. There are some pluses and minuses to the FWB's. Trigger adjustment is one of them. While it can be adjusted for 2nd stage weight while in position, it has a limited range of adjustments. IMHO, a precise stocked 54.30 is the way to go - it can be readily scoped for any sight competition, and a wide range of sights/accessories will fit it.

While Anschutz & Walther are continually redesigning and advancing their rifles, FWB seems oddly quiet in this respect.