Quiet quality pellet trap in US

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Finelld

Quiet quality pellet trap in US

Post by Finelld »

I am trying to find a quiet quality pellet trap that accepts the 17cm ISSF targets here in the US. From the images I have seen, the Gehmann traps will take the targets, but be rather loud. They also look like they are made from rather thin sheet metal with the exception of the plate absorber inside. I found this on line but I don't know if they will ship to the US or how much shipping would cost.

http://www.target-air.co.uk/17cm-3mm-st ... -547-p.asp

I have emailed the company but haven't gotten a response yet. Does anyone know if there is anything like this available in the US that isn't made from tissue paper thin sheet metal?

Best Regards,

David Finell
les greevy

Re: Quiet quality pellet trap in US

Post by les greevy »

A block of duct seal stuck to the back of the Ghemann trap will quiet it down and reduce lead dust.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Ditto regarding the duct seal putty...

I have two of those traps for 10m rifle and two for pistol, both at my home and office ranges (8 traps total) and I've been using duct seal putty for a long time. Not only does it really muffle the sound but it just about eliminates pellet bounce.

Up here in Canada we have two hardware chains and both have small bricks of this putty for about $3. All it takes is one brick per pellet trap. But there are two different putties and one chain has a putty that is a lot stickier than the other. I prefer the one less sticky after having tried both. It is possible that the US Home Depot stores have the same putty as the Canadian ones, and that's the one I prefer. Comes in a white plastic wrap. The Reno Depot chain up here has the stickier kind.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Use a box of rags. By far the quietist trap I have used.

Or, you can stop by my house and I will give you the 2 custom plywood pellet traps I built with carpeted interiors (for sound), sloped back (to deduce blow back) and hanging leather baffles (because I thought it was a cool idea).
Rover

Post by Rover »

Use the box of rags with a clip to hold the target. After a case or two of pellets, just throw it away. You will never shoot through it because the more you use it the better it gets.

AND it's free. Don't go re-inventing the wheel!
v76

Post by v76 »

Pretty easy to make one yourself with duct seal but if you're a good enough shot, the pellets will stack in the middle and start welding themselves together and thus, making noise and fly everywhere. You'll have to clean it often, which is a pain. Just get the Gehmann and be done with it. It's not that loud.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

v76 wrote:Pretty easy to make one yourself with duct seal but if you're a good enough shot, the pellets will stack in the middle and start welding themselves together and thus, making noise and fly everywhere. You'll have to clean it often, which is a pain. Just get the Gehmann and be done with it. It's not that loud.
There have been over 20,000 shots done on one of my traps and it's still using the first brick of duct seal putty. And as far as "...have to clean it often, which is a pain", well, the only cleaning I've been doing on mine is to turn it face down over a garbage can once in awhile to let the loose pellets fall out. And the pellets that build up on top of the putty I leave there (as long as they're not loose) because a lead pellet hitting lead is really surprisingly quiet... much much quieter than hitting the metal trap and they don't bounce out either.

Yes you can make a trap yourself easily and certainly more cheaply, but the fact that the targets just slip into the trap (there's a groove) in a second and can be removed just as easily, makes this a choice I've been very happy with. And I have two of each as I said, because I'm often shooting with a friend side by side, and he'll shoot one and I'll shoot the other. Then after 10 shots each we walk forward, put fresh targets in the traps and continue shooting. I had tried different traps (including home made) and other than for this being more expensive, nothing else has come close to the convenience of these. I'm using Edelmann Rika #1314 rifle targets (5 bulls, 14x14cm sheets) and Kruger (can't remember the number, 17x17cm sheets) pistol targets. Just my opinion.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

I prefer a standard trap that is easy to harvest the lead pellets from rather than using the putty. I have an old Crossman trap that I had been using with my own printed targets. I was able to really quiet the Grossman trap by glueing rubber sanding blocks to the back. Unfortunately, I can't find the good cardstock locally anymore for getting those nice clean holes. I ordered 1k Kruger targets that make great holes, but they are just too small for the Crossman trap. That is why I was trying to find an alternative.

I hope Target-Air gets back with me and says that they will ship to the US and that t won't be too expensive. Maybe Pilkguns will start stocking their traps.

Best Regards,

David Finell
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I'll also recommend the cardboard box filled with old clothes, or an old blanket, or old jeans. Push pin to attach target to box, virtually silent once you shoot out the center, easy to harvest pellets, and essentially free. If you want to empty the pellets you empty the box (rags and pellets) on a spread out newspaper, pick up the rags and stuff them back in the box, and you're left with the pellets and some stray bits of cloth on the newspaper. I've been on the same box stuffed with the same old heavy cloth coat for a couple of years. I'm saving my old jeans as the knees or crotch wear out and I'll stuff the next one with denim. I used an old Outers .22 bullet trap for years, and tried the duct seal, and the box-'o-rags is infinitely preferable in terms of noise (and dust, in the case of the Outers bullet trap).
Leon

Post by Leon »

I've got one of these -

https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/pel ... -5841.html

Very solid steel construction - can handle .22s
speters77

Post by speters77 »

Very simple, works great - Rubber mulch - Vigoro $7 a bag at home depot - buy two bags - depending upon box size. Fill box - slightly bigger than the targets (I use 10 bull NRA) - I think my box is ~ 10 or 12" deep...
Have shot thousands into box...dead quiet...every now and then a very small piece of rubber slips out through the holes caused by shot groups...either you can throw it away, or tuck it back in. Never had a pellet come remotely close to penetrating all the way through...

A roll of painters tape holds targets...

Cheap, simple and quiet....
sparky

Post by sparky »

If you've got the wood, a saw, wood glue, and some duct seal putty, it's pretty quick work. There used to be someone on here who built and sold some fancy ones.I made my own with some scrap wood in an hour, not counting waiting for the wood glue to set. Cut some vertical slots to hold a target, and a couple more to allow me to slide repair center strips through (do they even make repair center strips for 10m AP targets anymore?). Filled the back with duct seal putty. I dump loose pellets, pick out big clumps of lead with a screwdriver, and push the putty back toward the center probably every couple hundred rounds or so, but I don't get OCD about it. All in, I probably spent less than $10.
hundert

Post by hundert »

I use rags...
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I have found the UTG style pellet trap works well for 10m air pistol. It's quiet, the pellets are easily removed (doesn't use duct seal) and the cardboard face is easily replaced (9.125"x9.125"). I'm not sure it fits into the 'quality' category since it has a plastic housing. Here is a link to Amazon describing the trap: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-TG001-Acc ... ellet+trap

Here is a photo of the trap with a 10 meter target and typical cardboard box backing :
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t231 ... k7bns4.jpg

Edit: The trap I'm describing used to be sold by Crosman - so you may already have this.

Edit II: In my view, the UTG style trap is basically an engineered 'box-O-rags'; the plastic 'box' is supplied with hanging 'rags' to stop the pellet and keep the 'rags' in place; a separate steel angled plate makes noise and stops stray pellets when the 'rags' need replacing.
Last edited by 10M_Stan on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's ONLY $35 more than a few rags, too!

BTW You can clearly see the effects of cheap targets, even with a cardboard backing.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

I got a nice crosman trap at Walmart.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

10M_Stan wrote:I have found the UTG style pellet trap works well for 10m air pistol. It's quiet, the pellets are easily removed (doesn't use duct seal) and the cardboard face is easily replaced (9.125"x9.125"). I'm not sure it fits into the 'quality' category since it has a plastic housing. Here is a link to Amazon describing the trap: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-TG001-Acc ... ellet+trap

Here is a photo of the trap with a 10 meter target and typical cardboard box backing :

Edit: The trap I'm describing used to be sold by Crosman - so you may already have this.

Edit II: In my view, the UTG style trap is basically an engineered 'box-O-rags'; the plastic 'box' is supplied with hanging 'rags' to stop the pellet and keep the 'rags' in place; a separate steel angled plate makes noise and stops stray pellets when the 'rags' need replacing.
How well do the hanging "rags" & plate hold up to PCP velocities? They claim the curtains are "pellet resistant", but I've seen simple traps get damaged quickly with PCP pellet velocities, (vs co2 & SSP velocities). I have a commercial trap with a spring backed steel plate, and the plate has to be flipped periodically because PCP's hammering near the middle dents it over time. It wasn't as much of an issue with lower velocity CO2 air pistols I shot before.
paulmcallister

Post by paulmcallister »

Hello,

My experience shooting my LP10 is that the Kevlar curtains in the Crossman style of trap is that they are pretty much destroyed after 3 or 4 cans of pellets.

Paul
sparky

Post by sparky »

If you look at the review with the customer posted picture, he said it was pretty loud, so he removed the curtains and put in duct seal putty.
10M_Stan wrote:I have found the UTG style pellet trap works well for 10m air pistol. It's quiet, the pellets are easily removed (doesn't use duct seal) and the cardboard face is easily replaced (9.125"x9.125"). I'm not sure it fits into the 'quality' category since it has a plastic housing. Here is a link to Amazon describing the trap: https://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-TG001-Acc ... ellet+trap

10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

I have not found the UTG style trap to be noisy, compared to using a duct seal trap. But, that's shooting 7 grain pellets at ~ 500 ft/s (~ 5J). Certainly, noise is subjective (even when measured). Is a 'box-O-rags' quiet - or quieter than duct seal? I can't tell much difference for 10m airguns unless its with a bare steel trap which tends to 'ring' when hit. Certainly, YMMV and the 'rags' or ballistic cloth have a finite life and require replacement.

Edit: to stay more on topic, here is an Ebay seller in Canada for Ghemann traps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gehmann-Targets ... 1071453428

Edit II: Pilkguns air pistol Gehmann trap:
http://www.pilkguns.com/buildrange.shtml