steyr lp10 seals/regulator question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jon Eulette

steyr lp10 seals/regulator question

Post by Jon Eulette »

I have a Steyr lp10 which I assume is 1997 vintage because both air cylinders are dated 97. I'm the 2nd owner and finally went to shoot it after it has set for 4 yrs since I received it. I believe both my cylinders need new seals because they're not holding air overnight. But my main concern is the regulator. I borrowed a good cylinder and initially got 40 shots out of it but was not sure how much air was in the cylinder in the first place. I recharged cylinder than after about 10 shots it was almost empty. So is it possible its just the seal where the cylinder screws on or could it be my regulator? How can regulator be tested....chronograph?
I'm planning on buying a complete seal kit and replacing all of them and was hoping my regulator was fine/ok. I'll make a spanner wrench to disassemble the cylinders.
Thanks
Jon
mhkhung

Re: steyr lp10 seals/regulator question

Post by mhkhung »

Buy a new cylinder. A cylinder is supposed to last only 10 years.. 20 is definitely pushing it. And new cylinder has a gauge built in.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Jon,

Your pistol probably needs a complete seal kit. Probably the striker spring also.
Those parts are all available and are not expensive. If you are in the US, speak to your host, Pilkguns.

Don't mess with the cylinders, just get one new (you only need one).
I'm not sure there are seal kit's available for cylinders, as they are supposed to be replaced rather than serviced.

Once that is replaced, chrono the pistol and set it at around 155 meters per second as the factory suggests.

That should be all that's needed to do to get it back in shape.

Many people on this forum just send their pistol to Pilkguns for a repair. He'll do all of that for you.

Hope this helps
Last edited by rmca on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If the cylinders are that old then they are probably the ones with the indicator pip in the end.

They were notorious for leaking, especially if the cylinder was ever filled from a hand pump (when the spring washer inside will have gone rusty.

Time for a new cylinder.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Put new O-rings on the filling adapter tip and on the gun where the cylinder screws on (available for a few cents at Ace Hardware). You can also get a rebuilt regulator (exchange) for about $70 from Pilkington. It's an easy replacement.

Fill the cylinders and stick the ends in a glass of water to see if they're leaking. Don't be in a hurry to trash the cylinders; they're expensive and you probably don't shoot any matches where they're looking for out of date cylinders. I'm sure YOU can rebuild them, as opposed to many of the spaz boys here.

Once you get this down, there are MANY guys who would be delighted to have this service available, especially for expensive guns that would otherwise end up in the junk drawer. I'm still shooting 20 year old cylinders on two different guns.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

Jon,
you will need probably Steyr original polyurethane o-rings (normal life time of around 10 years)
1 pc Pos. Nr. 29.9. Artikelnummer 4301020021 O-Ring 4 x 1,5
2 pcs Pos. Nr. 72.6. Artikelnummer 4001090006 O-Ring 20 x 2
2 pcs Pos. Nr. 72.8. Artikelnummer 4001090021 O-Ring 2,9 x 1,8

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... isassembly
Attachments
image004.jpg
image004.jpg (5.12 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
hundert

Post by hundert »

the typical life of a cylinder should be longer than a 100 years... All cylinders from the 80s I came across still work, only the seals don't.

It's the seals.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

yes and no
there are corrosion problems of the internal surface with the combination of CO2 and the aluminium alloy with Zn, Mg content. Wet carbon dioxide can form carbonic acid, etc. This attacks gradually the metal (steel, Al-alloy) surface under mechanical tension. A visual careful inspection of the surface every 10 to 20 years can not be a bad thing, usually when changing seals. Be careful, think and keep soundness of mind
sagara wimaladharma

Post by sagara wimaladharma »

Hi,
Although the pistol is old, LP 10 work perfectly once you replace the O rings.
I have seen people using very old cylinders but work perfectly.
You are not allowed to use the old cylinders in competitions.
it doesn't mean that you need to buy new cylinders.

Only thing you need to do is replace following spear parts.

Cylinder - Part numbers 72.8 and 72.6
Regulator - Part numbers 13, 29.8, 29.10 and 29.9
Others - Part numbers 18, 7 and 71.

Best Regards
sagara
hundert

Post by hundert »

so did you have it fixed?

The number one reason for losing air out from a good cylinder when it's screwd on to a pistol is the visible seal right before the thread, the same one as on the filling adapter.