KK500 report.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

svensta

KK500 report.

Post by svensta »

Had my KK500 for just over 6 months and put just over 3000 rounds through it.
It has a long way to go before it's durability can be properly assessed but the
short story is it's friggin fantastic! I'm shooting the best scores I have ever shot and
the way it can adjust means anyone big or small should be comfortable shooting it.
The trigger (mechanical one) is a marvel and I am happy leaving it at the factory setting for now.
Perhaps the most surprising thing is that it seems to shoot well with most any
off the shelf ammo I have tried. I cannot tell if Eley Match/Center-X/RWS-SM
is more or less accurate between them but Eley punches neater holes.

Center-X = Accurate
RWS Special match = Accurate
RWS Target Rifle = Accurate
Eley Match = Accurate
SK Rifle Match = Accurate

I clean the barrel about every 300-500 rounds and find that
shooting through a clean barrel does not require additional
shots to settle the grouping. 5 sighters and I'm off....

I bought one box of CCI std velocity and Eley Sport to see if they under perform
as their price might imply. Not yet tested them. I shot this match card while freezing
my nuts off this weekend at 100 yards using Center-X
100.jpg
100.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
I have one complaint and that is the grip. The medium size grip is fine for a slim and rather petite
girl just about to enter puberty but it is way too small for a grown dude. I got the large grip (largest apparently) which
is better and comfortable but it could still do with some beefing up. My hands are not particularly big.
Perhaps there are bigger Walther air rifle grips that will fit?? For now I'll stick with my "large" grip.
RobB

Re: KK500 report.

Post by RobB »

Nice shooting :)

I'm also using CentreX. Whatever came off the shelf (not batch tested). Switched from Eley Match when I got the occasional gas blast back in my face on firing.

Below is from my last 50m competition card (there are 5 shots in there). My scores have gone up, especially at 50m. Not shot much 100yrds with it yet. Will do shortly. I'm very happy with my decision to go for the KK500.
Attachments
50m tight group
50m tight group
hundert

Post by hundert »

lucky ba****ds, i want one too, but I will buy air rifle first, see how that goes... never owned one
OrlandoProneXgun

Post by OrlandoProneXgun »

Great shooting! I love before/after. What were you shooting before? Do you have a target pic using your old rifle? And please post your CCI cheap ammo for comparison. Thanks.
svensta

Post by svensta »

@OrlandoProneXgun

I was shooting a BSA Martini (Mk V) prior to getting the Walther.

Ammo test at 50m this weekend.

Eley Sport = Stays inside the 9 ring, can shoot a string of four or five 10's in a row but too many shots peel away for no reason. Not fit for bullseye competition.
CCI Std = Stays inside the 9 ring, can shoot a string of four or five 10's in a row but too many shots peel away for no reason. Not fit for bullseye competition.
RWS Rifle Match = Accurate

I would only use Eley Sport/CCI Std Velocity competitively in a 25yrd skirmisher shoot.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

[quote="svensta"]@OrlandoProneXgun

I was shooting a BSA Martini (Mk V) prior to getting the Walther.

Excuse me for going off-topic but I would be very interested to know you got on with your BSA Mk V, even though obviously you now prefer your KK500 (congratulations on that, by the way). Did you shoot it in its completely original state or did you modify it in any way, for example in the sights or the butt plate? Did you like the trigger? I love the trigger on my Mk V when it is at its lightest possible setting and think it beats my Anschutz 1800. What sort of accuracy could the BSA achieve?
svensta

Post by svensta »

Mk V had very good accuracy but it's stock dimensions did not fit me that well and if the trigger was set too light
then the (quick/snappy) closing of the action on a live round could cause it to fire! The rifle and sights are all original but length of pull was never
a great match for me. That said it is a very accurate rifle and would easily keep up with the likes of a 1813/1913 supermatch
if you were shooting well. I was never let down by the accuracy of the BSA but the fit and occasional loosening of the butt stock
kept me from getting progressively better scores. My averages had been about the same for 2 years.

The Walther just kills the BSA. Probably the fit of the new rifle has to be a big part of this. With the Mk V I would shoot 2 or 3 100/100 scores in a year
I'm now doing that number in a month so I am a happy bunny. If the Mk V had a custom fitted stock and more modern grip/sights it would still be a very competitive
rifle by todays standards and the location of the loading port is also a real plus.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

svensta wrote:Mk V had very good accuracy but it's stock dimensions did not fit me that well and if the trigger was set too light
then the (quick/snappy) closing of the action on a live round could cause it to fire! The rifle and sights are all original but length of pull was never
a great match for me. That said it is a very accurate rifle and would easily keep up with the likes of a 1813/1913 supermatch
if you were shooting well. I was never let down by the accuracy of the BSA but the fit and occasional loosening of the butt stock
kept me from getting progressively better scores. My averages had been about the same for 2 years.

The Walther just kills the BSA. Probably the fit of the new rifle has to be a big part of this. With the Mk V I would shoot 2 or 3 100/100 scores in a year
I'm now doing that number in a month so I am a happy bunny. If the Mk V had a custom fitted stock and more modern grip/sights it would still be a very competitive
rifle by todays standards and the location of the loading port is also a real plus.
svensta

Thank you very much for being so kind as to give such a full report on your BSA.

Your experience is much as I would have expected, except perhaps for the fact that you kept the original sights. To change the rearsight involves a bit of light engineering, but the foresight can be improved quite easily, I think. I entirely agree, as most would, about the limitations of the stock. Given those limitations, and with the original sights, you must be a really good shooter to achieve even 2 or 3 'possibles' each year. I can easily understand how you are doing so much better with the KK500.

I hope you will keep your BSA. They are great rifles in many ways and deserve to be preserved, even if they are not usually suitable for everyday modern competitions.

with best wishes for your continued success,

Roger
Olympic Dreamer

Post by Olympic Dreamer »

RobB wrote:Nice shooting :)

I'm also using CentreX. Whatever came off the shelf (not batch tested). Switched from Eley Match when I got the occasional gas blast back in my face on firing.

Below is from my last 50m competition card (there are 5 shots in there). My scores have gone up, especially at 50m. Not shot much 100yrds with it yet. Will do shortly. I'm very happy with my decision to go for the KK500.
Amazing group. Especially the horizontal group. If you tune it'll shoot a hole.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

I can attest to my KK500 shooting almost everything very well. I've run Tenex, Center-X, Club, and even super old Federal Ultra Match through it and all have performed well.

Maybe its the 6 o'clock firing pin providing consistent ignition. Maybe its the 3 locking lugs. I don't know. It just shoots well.

I had the rifle sent over to the Lapua Rimfire Service Center at Mesa to see what it could do with some batch testing.

I sent some ammo (off the shelf Center-X) to be used as a reference point. That off the shelf ammo was delivering 11mm groups in their test rig.

They tested all the lots of Center-X available and there were two lots that beat it. I ended getting both lots that tested well.

First photo is the control ammo I sent with the rifle. The first 10 shot group was 11.46mm and it held in the 11mm range for subsequent groups.

The second photo is the first 10 shot group with one of the available lots of Center-X. It beat my control, but not by much - 11.14mm. It too held in the 11mm range for multiple series after the initial string.

My previous rifle, an Anschutz 1907, could do no better than a 15mm group with Center-X the last time I tested it. Just for fun, they ran a few rounds of SK Standard Plus through my KK500. It shot a 15mm group slightly better than my Anschutz did with Center-X.

Imageimage hosting above 5 mb

Imagegifs upload
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

Jobber,
Send me an email, I have a question.
Ed Foley
edf@fohcinc.com
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

This was shot only at 25 yards. But it's 5 shots, with my KK500 using SK Standard Plus....in the standing position.

Imageadult image host