SCATT training with 10 M live air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
400driver

SCATT training with 10 M live air pistol

Post by 400driver »

I normally use my Scatt set up at 10 m for training with 9mm pistol simulating 25M for ISSF. I have an air pistol back stop next to the Scatt target where I do live firing with my LP10.

I have not yet used the Scatt with Air , I have purchased the metal frame to protect the sensor but I see that to change the target I need to remove the frame each time. How do people train with Scatt and air? Do you calibrate and then dry fire or keep changing the targets? Do they use it with no metal frame? I see that the frame would not stop a direct hit if i was un lucky enough to bump the trigger.

I average 93 but am still terrified of hitting the IR sensors!

Any thoughts ?
Heddok

Re: SCATT training with 10 M live air pistol

Post by Heddok »

I've used a SCATT for live fire AP for over a year now. Thousands of rounds and it works just fine. I don't use a shield as the chance of hitting the frame is about nil especially if your average is 93.

My son managed to hit the frame near one of the sensors and it just bounced off, didnt crack the plastic and no damage.

I would just go ahead and shoot till you see it works out fine then your anxiety level will go down.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just go ahead and shoot. You WILL hit one of the sensors. Buy a new unit as punishment.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Rover,
That would be the ultimate incentive not to miss the black!
Ok , will sort out a mount that will allow the frame to go in front of my back stop.
Heddok, Do you change the target every couple of shots or just when the centre is gone as you are seeing the results on screen?

Cheers all.
Heddok

Post by Heddok »

I shoot 10 shots per target as that was my routine for years. The results on paper and the results on the SCATT screen may not be exactly the same.

The calibration shot must be dead on and you may have to adjust the F-factor up or down slightly to get an exact match. As mine is currently configured it is very close.

I screwed a small strip of wood to the top of my Gehman pellet trap. The Scatt frame goes on it yet is easy to remove for cleaning.

I'll take some photo's later.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Great info thanks.
I am just waiting for the sensor mount for the Lp10 so I can swap it easily with the 9mm pistol.

Just need to great 10m Air files to study from someone to set a reference for my own.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Mount the sensor on the LP10 as near to the trigger guard that you can. It is better if you can mount it so that it is vertically under the barrel to reduce the rotational effect of the pistol if it is offset.
There is less chance of knocking the sensor out of alignment when compared to mounting it at the muzzle end.
Be aware that the weight of the Scatt sensor is going to affect the balance of your pistol, even though the effect may be minimal.
Once you have got your confidence that you are regularly shooting near the middle, which with a 93 average you will be, then you should have no problem live firing through the Scatt.
Once you have got the Scatt set up, you may find that the predicted shot placement shown on the Scatt screen is not always the same as the physical shot placement, due to it being predicted.
Start with the F Co-efficient set at 15 and then adjust as required.
I now shoot with it set at 0 which gives some interesting results.
Whern shooting on the Scatt try to relax and not hang on too long, just complete your shot creation process in the same timing that you would normally use. Try not to creat a false situation as that is no help to you.
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Thanks. I have ordered the sensor mount that is used in place of a weight on the side rails. I will experiment and see if this causes a drastic change compared to mounting on the cylinder.
May be a while as the sensor holder is waiting for me in the UK!
400driver

Post by 400driver »

Mounted the sensor with the standard mount and ended up with an F coefficient of 14. I actually shot better with the added pressure of not hitting the sensor. Will see how the side mounted sensor holder compares when I get it back.

The interesting thing was mounting it over a suitable back stop that allowed access to the trap and to be able to remove the metal frame protecting the sensor. I screwed a piece of wood to the wall and mounted it to that.

Thanks for the replies.