Practice pellet recommendation and source

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulmcallister

Practice pellet recommendation and source

Post by paulmcallister »

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for practice pellets and where to buy them. I have an LP 10 and I doubt if at the level I shoot at that the pellets I use would be a differentiating factor.

I'm currently using RWS Meisterkugeln but I don't know if this is more than I need or about right.

Thanks, Paul
Gwhite

Re: Practice pellet recommendation and source

Post by Gwhite »

RWS Basics. Search no further. Inexpensive, and match quality until you get to a very high level.
Rover

Post by Rover »

SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

I endorse this product. RWS: I take it my marketing cheque is in the post.

Bonus content: I took a photo.

For .22 I shoot CCI Standard, and for 10m Matches I shoot R10s or H&N Finale Match when I can get them.
Image Image
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Here in the states, one can buy H&N Final Match in 500 ct tins for 2.3¢ a pellet. Compared with powder ammunition, this is a steal. So much so, I wouldn't think of having two types of pellets (practice and match). Buy by the sleeve and have at it.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

DFWdude wrote:Here in the states, one can buy H&N Final Match in 500 ct tins for 2.3¢ a pellet. Compared with powder ammunition, this is a steal. So much so, I wouldn't think of having two types of pellets (practice and match). Buy by the sleeve and have at it.
I second that. Why use a different pellet for matches? If they shoot differently how much of the practice time before a match will you spend readjusting the sights?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Au contraire, mon frer.

Shoot just about anything I've tested (ever!) and you'll do fine with an AP. You can even mix different weight pellets and shoot just as well. I, and MANY of the guys at my club use the RWS Basics because they are cheap and good.

Don't believe me? Test pellets yourself, but don't spout internet blather here.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

SamEEE wrote:I endorse this product. RWS: I take it my marketing cheque is in the post.

For .22 I shoot CCI Standard, and for 10m Matches I shoot R10s or H&N Finale Match when I can get them.
Up here in Canada, there seems to be only one source for RWS Basics, even though other suppliers carry other types of RWS pellets. And they are ONLY available in individual blister packs and not a "sleeve" as it appears in your photo. And that blister pack is annoying because not only is it physically larger but it surely costs them more to make, thus more expensive for us.

SOMETIMES you folks in the States are pretty luck.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
j-team

Post by j-team »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Why use a different pellet for matches? If they shoot differently how much of the practice time before a match will you spend readjusting the sights?
Hahaha, you can shoot any match grade wadcutter pellets and you won't notice the different point of impact. If you don't believe me do a machine rest test with a random mix lot of pellets.
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

For what it's worth, I've had good luck with the H&N Sport.

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

If we are agreed that all match capable pellets shoot to the same accuracy, then it begs to question why this topic is important?

Instead, if the question (really) is to find less expensive practice ammo, then I personally question why?

Aside from the cost of an AP, the ammo costs are a pittance, whether 2.3¢ a shot or a paltry 1¢ a shot, the difference being a penny or less. I can't think of any shooting hobby where the consumables costs less. If you are willing to spend $2000+ for a new LP10-EVO, why be concerned with shooting a practice match + sighters at $.80 or $1.60, the difference being $.80, or the price of a can of cola? The electricity to power your home range/lighting will cost more. Drive to a range, and your gasoline will cost more. Heck, paper target prices cost more.

Back in the day, I shot a practice match (or two) five nights a week, 50 weeks a year. (25,000-30,000 rounds a year). Never gave any thought to the cost of the pellets. Simply not important.

It's like buying a nice car that uses premium fuel, then complaining that you can't buy regular grade fuel instead. Silly.
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

I guess it's about priorities.
- Don't mind spending $ on a hobby
- But if get the same results, and save $200... That's $ I can use elsewhere... or save it for retirement ;-)

Beside, it's Sunday afternoon and -20c... what else is there to do, than talk stuff over on a Internet forum?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Here's another thread that's kind of relevant:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54059
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

DFWdude wrote:if the question (really) is to find less expensive practice ammo, then I personally question why?
I guess many folks here have the philosophy of getting “double” the bang for their bucks, myself included.

The majority of us aren’t on the same level as the elite shooters, we enjoy and benefit from shooting more for less money.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Air Pistol pellets are not controlled by ITAR (yet).
You can order them internationally, they will ship up to 7kg as a flat rate so if you go in with someone you could feasibly get whatever you like.

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shooting/Home
Image Image
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

There is a break point eventually, but if you're sticking with target-target companies, likely there is very little difference. But I shot a ton of Gamo Match and while I might not have noticed any accuracy problems, there were usually 2 or 3 malformed pellets in each tin, and they were much dustier than the RWS Basic I'm shooting now. For those, 3000 and I haven't found a bad pellet yet, and almost no particles in the tin.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

SamEEE wrote:Air Pistol pellets are not controlled by ITAR (yet).
You can order them internationally, they will ship up to 7kg as a flat rate so if you go in with someone you could feasibly get whatever you like.

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shooting/Home
Those prices are quite reasonable, however the import taxes here in Costa Rica for airgun related items is expensive.

A Steyr LP10 or Morini 162EI will set you back $2500-$3000, and prices double/triple for quality pellets (RWS & H&N). The shooters in the U.S. and Germany are lucky indeed!
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Yeah, they're not bad. Too bad lead is heavy, at least it is not DU: I think ITAR has that pretty well locked down...

As to the question of economics of pellet purchasing - unsure if it was directed at me specifically but I will bite
I shoot cheap pellets as I can shoot twice as many of them for the same cost.
A tin a week adds up, and cuts into my flat-white slush fund. :-)

As for expensive ammunition I see it as cheap insurance for big events. Put down hundreds of hours at the range, hundreds (or thousands) on airfares/accom it would be foolish to leave a shadow of a doubt that you haven't given yourself the best opportunity for success.

A tenth of a millimeter might be the difference between an X, or a win on countback.
Image Image
hurt

Post by hurt »

Pilkington sells some bulk pellets that are pretty darn good! When he has them on sale...they are like $25 for 4500...or something like that. Look over the skirts and they will zing right in there! I have shot some 100s with my airpistol using these pellets. Our 4H shooters use them too. Much MUCH better than the U.S. pellets available...and much cheaper! And you can support our sponsor!
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

I'm back to shooting AP to practice bullseye, in bullseye I'm trying to hit expert this year. I've shot Diablo basic, Meisterkugeln and R10, probably more but that's all that comes to mind. Shooting with my ability through my LP10 I'm usually between 540-550, the Diablo Basics work just fine, shot a 98 with them a couple weeks ago. If you're shooting 560-570 then you might outshoot them but until then I just think you're wasting money.

I tried them on advice from Rover and as much as I hate to say it he was right.