choice of rifle for 25yard left-handed

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jedin

choice of rifle for 25yard left-handed

Post by jedin »

I'm looking to buy my first (and hopefully last) rifle, having been shooting for a couple of years with a club Anschuetz.
The major constraint is that I'm left-handed, which seems to narrow the choice quite a bit, and I have smallish hands for a man (UK glove size 8), so rifles that only come with a "large" grip for left-handers sound as if they might be less than ideal.

My current average is around 96, and my ambitions don't extend much beyond getting into the A-class - there's no prospect of national-level shooting.

My local dealer is suggesting Anschuetz 1918 (which has the large grip only for lefties), or the Walther KK500, which seems a bit out of my class, though not unaffordable if I really wanted it.
He's not suggesting the FWB 2700 - what are the pros and cons of using a "free rifle" just for prone?
(I'm 5'9" (175cm), and fairly lightly built, if that makes a difference.)

There's also, I suppose, the possibility of trying to match a stock and barrel, but I imagine that turns out more expensive. (One colleague got a MEC stock.)

Any comments most welcome.
RobB

Re: choice of rifle for 25yard left-handed

Post by RobB »

I was in the same position earlier in the year although I had a 1981 vintage Anschutz 1813 with an average around 97. Went with the KK500 and have not regretted it. Average for 25 yards slowly increasing. Still have the occasional 95 (although I blame the flu for the last one). Most improvement though is at 50m. The accuracy of the barrel and the adjustment so I can fit the rifle to me rather than me to the rifle has made 50m a pleasure rather than a chore.

Any modern rifle is capable of topping a national competition. It's really down to which you are most comfortable with. I went with the KK500 because the loading port is much closer. No moving my elbow except to alter sights.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jedin,

Most B and A class shooters in The UK use a Free Rifle. John Pugsley topped the National league for the best part of a decade with a BSA Mk III, but he's on his own. Compared to a traditional prone rifle like an Anschutz 1811 or BSA International, or a UIT standard rifle like an Anschutz 1407, a Free rifle offers the opportunity to get a much better fit in the shoulder and to place the sights closer to the eye. If you are slight of build, have you thought of a 1914 Sport stock? This is a scaled version of the 1913; it has the same butt and cheekpiece adjustment as the 1918. Personally I like System Gemini stocks, but as you say it''s a little more expensive to assemble a stock and barrel than to buy a complete rifle, although you can get exactly what you want. An Anschutz 54.30 in a Gemini stock would be a fine combination; the 54.30 has a slightly lighter barrel than the 1913, and Gemini's come with a range of grip sizes (all wood and customisable.

There's nothing wrong with the FWB, it's just that the 2700 was launched about 12 years ago, so it's not received the same attention as the new Anschutz and Walther rifles. For a lefty it does have a disadvantage, no left handed sights; a former clubmate kept his old Anschutz rearsight when he replaced it with a 2700.

There are fewer second hand lefty rifles around, but it's worthwhile looking at the Stiron.com's sales section. If you can find an 18xx or 19xx barrel (on its own, or in a basic stock), you could drop it into a new 1918, MEC, Gemini, or Grunig stock for less than a new rifle.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

jedin wrote:My local dealer is suggesting Anschuetz 1918 (which has the large grip only for lefties), or the Walther KK500, which seems a bit out of my class, though not unaffordable if I really wanted it.
Dont be put off with the large grip on the precise stock. I use the precise with a large grip despite having small to medium sized hands. The smaller grip was just too thin for me. I suspect that if you can try both (on a right handed rifle) you'll see what I mean.

Just my 2p.
jedin

Post by jedin »

Thank you for the comments. Having chatted with the dealer, I'm probably looking at a 1913 barrelled action (the 54.30 is alas not available left-handed), and will go along tomorrow to get a feel for the range of stocks they have, including those suggested here.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jedin,

that's no bad choice, although it's an annoyance the 54.30 isn't available LH yet. The 1913 is a proven design, and there are plenty about, so other club members can help with things like trigger adjustment, or show you how to strip the bolt for cleaning.
jedin

Post by jedin »

Just to close this: I ended up with a 1913 action, an EC Universal stock, and a Grunig and Elmiger buttplate.
It's very comfortable and fits nicely, but seems very unforgiving of any positioning differences - I'm shooting a strange mix of 98s and 99s on the one hand, and 93s and 94s on the other. Need to remember to get out of position and in again if it doesn't feel quite right, perhaps. Still, if I can eliminate the 93s and 94s, I'll have a much improved average!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Jedin,

Congratulations, the 98s and 99s must be encouraging. The spread of scores isn't unusual, it often takes a while to settle into a new stock, and you have made a big change from an older wood stock to a very fancy aluminium job. It's not impossible that the stock and butt aren't quite perfect yet, and stil need a tweak here and there, although whipping out the Allen keys after every 93 isn't the answer either.

Certainly, breaking position will help when things aren't going right. I'd add to that to break position and take a break if the sighter isn't going right. Even with a fancy stock you can't forget to pay attention to the pressure at the shoulder and cheek.