Spoting scope for 10 meters?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DigitalX

Spoting scope for 10 meters?

Post by DigitalX »

Hi, I am looking for a spotting scope that has excellent ability to focus at 10 meters, and is relatively small in size to fit on table top for air pistol matches that are fired on paper. Any suggestions welcome. Most scopes focus well at 50 ft, but come up short at 33 ft. Thanks.
WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I AM THINKING THE MONOCULAR MAY BE WORTH TRYING AS IT IS SMALLER THAN SCOPE, LITE IN WEIGHT, EASY TO PACK AND CARRY. I CAN MAKE A SUPPORT FOR IT. I HAVE NEVER USED ONE, BUT BEEN A SPOTTING SCOPE SHOOTER FOR 40 years. Time to try something new, and likely better just to spot my groups in air pistol.
Last edited by DigitalX on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenMetrePeter

Re: Spoting scope for 10 meters?

Post by TenMetrePeter »

It has been mentioned before that some matches particularly those shot to ISSF rules don't allow spotting scopes at 10 metres. Local matches may be ok.

Having said that we have used Greenkat 10-30 x 30 scopes.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could use a really cheap binocular. It doesn't have to be very good to see the holes at 10 meters. All you really want to do is confirm your shot call, not keep score.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Ng 20x33 spotting scope is what you seek
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

For many years I used a simple Tasco #567 monocular (8x25) mounted to a telescoping monopod that clamped to the shooting table. Everything fit within my pistol case.

The current equivalent is a 10x listed here for under $10 USD...http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1724314514 ... rmvSB=true
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

DFWdude wrote:For many years I used a simple Tasco #567 monocular (8x25) mounted to a telescoping monopod that clamped to the shooting table. Everything fit within my pistol case.

The current equivalent is a 10x listed here for under $10 USD...http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1724314514 ... rmvSB=true
Does that have any threads for mounting it to stand/tripod? I didn't see that monocular mounted in any picture I googled..

Do you have pic of that telescopic stand?
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

The Celestron Landscout 52320 scope is quite compact with an angled eyepiece and decent optics, it focuses down to perhaps 20 feet. It comes with a small tripod that works ok on a tabletop, and it has a standard threaded foot for any other mount. Zooms from 10x-30x so it's quite versatile. I use it for 50-foot indoor bullseye spotting at 25x. Less than $50 USD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7 ... UTF8&psc=1
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

I just set up my 60x cheapo Chinese spotting scope (You can buy it under a hundred names, they all cost about 60$) and it's perfectly clear at 10m. But, unfortunately, the field of view is just slightly too narrow to see the entirety of all 4 targets on a standard 4 spot target for pistol. If you were to use it five or ten feet behind the line it would be perfect.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Coolmeester wrote:
DFWdude wrote:For many years I used a simple Tasco #567 monocular (8x25) mounted to a telescoping monopod that clamped to the shooting table. Everything fit within my pistol case.

Does that have any threads for mounting it to stand/tripod? I didn't see that monocular mounted in any picture I googled..

Do you have pic of that telescopic stand?
Memory fails me... not telescoping, but a threaded assembly. Add a C-clamp at the bottom, the two rods, the adjustment assembly from a cheap tabletop photography tripod, then the monocular.
Attachments
Scope-Stand.jpg
Dave Martiny

Post by Dave Martiny »

I use the Leopold SX-1, 15-45 x 60, $329 from B&H.

Certainly not as cheap as some of the others mentioned, but it is very well built, with high quality optics.

If all you want to do with it is see holes in the paper, it may not be worth it to you, but in case you may use it for other purposes as well, it's a fine scope.

Regards,

Dave
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Note on monoculars: you definitely need it supported, and it needs a lens bigger than 30mm, in my experience. Way too shaky and dark for anything but perfect conditions if you're using a small cheapy.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I use my Kowa TNS-611, which, I believe, is no longer made. It serves double duty as my spotter for conventional pistol and 10m AP practice. Easily focuses at 10 meters and it's also easy to see the .22 holes at 50 yards.

Dennis in the PRK (soon to be an Arizonan)
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Prohibited by rules:

Code: Select all

8.6.1  Spotting Telescopes
The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or 
judge the wind is permitted in 25m and 50m events only

If you don't care then I agree with Muffo:
Muffo wrote:Ng 20x33 spotting scope is what you seek

They are a nice piece of gear. Packs into a really small case. The 30x scope is better in my view for marginal conditions at 50m.
Image Image
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SamEEE wrote:Prohibited by rules:

The use of telescopes not attached to the pistol to locate shots or 
I'm guessing that's because they assume everyone has electronic targets for 10 meters, in which case you don't need one. I checked & was surprised that USA Shooting rules do not make an exception for matches using paper targets.

I've certainly never seen (nor heard of) it being enforced at any local matches. I wonder when they snuck that into the rules...
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

All paper target matches I have shot have cable target changers so if you need to check sighters you just bring it closer. There is also no cross wind to change. I really dont see the need for scope once matches are under way.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

Gwhite wrote:

The use of telescopes [b]not attached to the pistol [/b]to locate shots or 
I'm guessing that's because they assume everyone has electronic targets for 10 meters, in which case you don't need one. I checked & was surprised that USA Shooting rules do not make an exception for matches using paper targets.

I've certainly never seen (nor heard of) it being enforced at any local matches. I wonder when they snuck that into the rules...
The “not attached to the pistol” is odd wording too. I was under the impression that all ISSF pistol events were iron sights only, am I wrong?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

All paper target matches I have shot have cable target changers so if you need to check sighters you just bring it closer. There is also no cross wind to change. I really dont see the need for scope once matches are under way.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Jon Math wrote:
Gwhite wrote:

The use of telescopes [b]not attached to the pistol [/b]to locate shots or 

The “not attached to the pistol” is odd wording too. I was under the impression that all ISSF pistol events were iron sights only, am I wrong?
Take out thise words and see how it reads!
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Prior to the mid 90s, the local matches (and state matches for that matter) in which I participated, were conducted 5 shots on a target, fixed in place at 10m (no mechanical target retrievers). The line was called cold after all competitors completed their 5 shots, and all shooters walked down range to replace targets. In this scenario, being able to call one's shots was nearly impossible without a small spotting scope.

I suspect USA Shooting simply adopted the ISSF rule. With electronic targets and feedback display at the line negating the need for spotting scopes, I suppose I understand the reasoning. Of course, not all local ranges have electronic targets. The USA Shooting facility where I can shoot today has only 2 electronic systems among its ten lanes. The remainder are string retriever equipped, which makes it easier to check shot calls (albeit with more physical effort than simply looking through an optic). So I no longer take my spotting scope.
Last edited by DFWdude on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

Just having a senior moment...sorry!