Shooting Glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

seamaster

Re: Shooting Glasses

Post by seamaster »

I had always being interested in those trial lens set https://www.joyfay.com/catalog/product/ ... AnTM8P8HAQ

FWDude, can you give a tutorial on how to use those lens, if you have no optometrist prescription to get you to the ballpark. If you are just starting from scratch, how do you use those trial lens?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

seamaster wrote:I had always being interested in those trial lens set https://www.joyfay.com/catalog/product/ ... AnTM8P8HAQ

FWDude, can you give a tutorial on how to use those lens, if you have no optometrist prescription to get you to the ballpark. If you are just starting from scratch, how do you use those trial lens?
I'm not an optometrist, so can't advise on how to use the kit unless you have a prescription for eyeglasses. With such a script in hand, you can then find the corresponding lens in the trial set, and install that in your shooting frames (if the sizes are the same... The Champions Frames I have use the same lens diameters, but I notice other frames use smaller diameter lenses).

You can also pick the lens with the correct dioptic for the front sight. Take your prescribed script, say -.325 for distance vision, and add +.50 diopter by simply picking out the -.275 instead. Adjust by trial and error between -.250 (-3.25+.75) to -.300 (-.325+.25) to find the best match that yields the sharpest front sight.

The trial lens set is on the expensive side for a first time use, so consider it a lifetime (or shooter career) investment. As your eyesight changes, you can return to the trial lens set for the next prescribed lens... If your eyes change 3-4 times over your shooting career, then the trial lens set pays for itself.

But you should use the trial set only in conjunction with your regular eyewear script.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Can you appreciate +/- 0.125 diopter?

How off was your optometrist prescription?
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

seamaster wrote:Can you appreciate +/- 0.125 diopter?

How off was your optometrist prescription?
Trial sets (and I believe lenses available in regular eyewear) come in +/- 0.250 increments.

My optometrist script was right on the money, of course. I add +.050 or +.075, depending on my vision for the day. And it DOES vary occasionally.
divingin

Post by divingin »

DFWdude wrote:
seamaster wrote:My optometrist script was right on the money, of course. I add +.050 or +.075, depending on my vision for the day. And it DOES vary occasionally.
I find my vision changes depending on fatigue and/or lighting conditions. And probably other factors as well. I have +.25, +.50, +.75 and +1.00 diopters that I stack with my (distance prescription +.25) lens (made by Lenscrafters, who I can't really recommend due to price.) I usually end up with +.5 or +.75 installed.

jky
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

I got the iris and tried it with my lens, which is just a plus and does not have my distance prescription. I found that the iris brings everything into focus so I don't feel I need my distance prescription. I didn't expect that. Is there some reason I still need to get a lens that has my distance prescription?
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

If your distant vision is not too blurry, and you tolerate the iris ok, then yes you can go with just uncorrected protection. But you may find you want the distance prescription anyway, so you can get a good look at the target by looking around the iris when not actually aiming. The iris can cause a bit of eyestrain for longer sessions. My experience, anyway.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

ihasagun wrote:
... I found that the iris brings everything into focus so I don't feel I need my distance prescription. ...
I'm glad you experienced that, like I did. plenty of folk on here have questioned the idea.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Rover wrote:More important is getting your "scrip" right.
Quoted for truth.

One thing I see mentioned too rarely in these threads is the fact that it's impossible to get a perfect scrip if you're diabetic. You can get a near-perfect one if your exam was on a day when your blood sugar was perfect.

The problem is that under the stress of a match (or any stress, of any sort, many types of which occur when attending a competition), blood sugar varies. When it moves, eyesight moves. A big swing in blood sugar (and all diabetics have run into a big swing at some time, usually when it's most inconvenient and unexpected) can move your prescription + or - 1 full diopter in just a few minutes.

I've seen it in my own shooting where I can clearly see the variations of the finish on the front sight of my pistol, with every variation of color and even specks of dust sharply visible. 20 minutes later, standing in the heat without refreshment and suffering match jitters, the front sight is a fuzzy blob.

Luckily, I've got those old Superfocus glasses that allow me to adjust focus and also provide full astigmatism correction. Those glasses were idiotically expensive and ugly as sin. They were also too "insecure" in several ways; a strong blow to the head could knock out the front lenses and the nearly-straight earpieces always made me feel they were going to fall off my face if I didn't use a neoprene keeper around the back of my head. So I'm not surprised they went belly-up; for everyday use, there were just too many problems. But for standing, holding a pistol in one hand, and punching holes in paper, they're a gift from Heaven.

Back to my main point - Getting a good scrip is vital. If you're diabetic, go to the doc only when your blood sugar is perfect. After that, expect to (literally) see your eyes change prescription on you just when you wish they'd remain stable. And have a plan for when that happens.