Question about Steyr adapter and pumps

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

Question about Steyr adapter and pumps

Post by Houngan »

I'm pump shopping, but not sure if there is something unique about the Steyr LP10 adapter. I've found Foster to DIN adapters, but the BSPP side seems different. This, for example: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Quick_Dis ... _Ring/2841

Is lacking the tapered "nose" of my Steyr adapter. I have a theory that the nose might be the thing that removes the necessity of a bleed valve, but I really don't know. Could someone give me a quick education on what I'm looking for when pump shopping?
Mtl_Biker

Re: Question about Steyr adapter and pumps

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Houngan wrote:I'm pump shopping, but not sure if there is something unique about the Steyr LP10 adapter. I've found Foster to DIN adapters, but the BSPP side seems different. This, for example: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Quick_Dis ... _Ring/2841

Is lacking the tapered "nose" of my Steyr adapter. I have a theory that the nose might be the thing that removes the necessity of a bleed valve, but I really don't know. Could someone give me a quick education on what I'm looking for when pump shopping?
Since no one has tried to reply to your question, I'll take a stab at it...

First of all, *WHY* do you want to buy a pump??? Not only will you pay upwards of $200 for one, but you'll find it's a LOT of work to pump up a cylinder, even a relatively small pistol cylinder. And you have to go fairly slowly to avoid heat buildup and you need to make sure the air is filtered and DRY.

Contrast that with getting a scuba tank. No effort. Comparable (probably cheaper) cost. Quality air.

Here in Canada, I have bought three used scuba tanks... 80 cu ft, 120 and 130. I paid $175 for the small one and the most expensive large one was $250. That's in CANADIAN DOLLARS, meaning about US$130 to US$190. And I'm in an area not known as a hotbed for scuba diving. If you were on the Great Lakes, or either coast, you'd surely find LOTS of scuba shops and lots of used gear. The tanks I got were hydro tested and are good for 5-10 more years.

Okay, on the small tank, I can fill my Steyr air pistol cylinder almost 40 times (more if I accept less than a 200 bar fill) and getting the tank filled costs me $9 (<US$7).

The adapter which comes with Steyr pistols fits right into the DIN 232 valve the scuba tank should have. Nothing else needed.

I hope this is of help to you.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

thanks for the input, just ordered my first AP. Now how about them SCBA fiberglass tanks?
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Christopher Miceli wrote:thanks for the input, just ordered my first AP. Now how about them SCBA fiberglass tanks?
Well, they're not (as far as I know) fiberglass... they're carbon fiber. Big difference.

What I know is that they're very expensive (comparatively) and they're very small. They do handle higher pressures though, which would be good for paintball, etc. But with the higher pressure comes the challenge of finding a place which could fill to that pressure. Most scuba shops are unable to do that. Before buying one make sure that you will be able to get it filled.

There are many fill calculators on the web... check also how many fills of your gun cylinder such a smaller tank would give you and then make your decision. I'll tell you, if my budget could stand it, I'd buy a small carbon fiber tank just for the convenience of more easily being able to take it along on a field target competition than even my smaller 80 cu ft steel tank.

(BTW, when looking for a scuba tank, avoid the aluminum ones as they cannot be filled to as high a pressure as a steel tank. My scuba shop fills my steel tanks to about 3700 psi. And again, not every shop is capable of that. CF tanks generally are up around 4500 psi.)

Unless you have a gun that fills up to 300 bar (much more common is 200 bar) I would stick with a steel scuba tank.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Chris, forgot to ask you what AP you just bought. And congrats!
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
Houngan wrote:I'm pump shopping, but not sure if there is something unique about the Steyr LP10 adapter. I've found Foster to DIN adapters, but the BSPP side seems different. This, for example: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Quick_Dis ... _Ring/2841

Since no one has tried to reply to your question, I'll take a stab at it...

First of all, *WHY* do you want to buy a pump??? Not only will you pay upwards of $200 for one, but you'll find it's a LOT of work to pump up a cylinder, even a relatively small pistol cylinder. And you have to go fairly slowly to avoid heat buildup and you need to make sure the air is filtered and DRY.

Contrast that with getting a scuba tank. No effort. Comparable (probably cheaper) cost. Quality air.

Here in Canada, I have bought three used scuba tanks... 80 cu ft, 120 and 130. I paid $175 for the small one and the most expensive large one was $250. That's in CANADIAN DOLLARS, meaning about US$130 to US$190. And I'm in an area not known as a hotbed for scuba diving. If you were on the Great Lakes, or either coast, you'd surely find LOTS of scuba shops and lots of used gear. The tanks I got were hydro tested and are good for 5-10 more years.

Okay, on the small tank, I can fill my Steyr air pistol cylinder almost 40 times (more if I accept less than a 200 bar fill) and getting the tank filled costs me $9 (<US$7).

The adapter which comes with Steyr pistols fits right into the DIN 232 valve the scuba tank should have. Nothing else needed.

I hope this is of help to you.
While I appreciate your passion, I already have a scuba tank. I would like a pump for those times when it might not be filled.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Mtl_Biker wrote:

Unless your adapter does not seat snugly to the bottom of the valve fitting ;-) in which case you may need an additional spacer/O-ring. See the thread I dredged up where Mtl_Biker was also a great help. I only add this because I've seen it mentioned in more than one thread and I'm currently dealing with that issue myself. Thanks again for the help MB
divingin

Post by divingin »

Unless your adapter does not seat snugly to the bottom of the valve fitting ;-) in which case you may need an additional spacer/O-ring.[/quote]

Most airguns (or their adapters, I should say) I've seen use a DIN 200 bar adapter, also known as a 5-thread DIN adapter. There exists, in the scuba world, also a 300 bar (or 7-thread) DIN adapter, made longer to prevent equipment made for 200 bar service from attaching to a 300 bar source (which, unfortunately, is exactly what you'd want to do with airguns.) Overall thread size is the same on both; it's simply the depth of the threaded portion that is different.

jky
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

Houngan wrote: While I appreciate your passion, I already have a scuba tank. I would like a pump for those times when it might not be filled.
In that case, sorry I bothered you.
CZ200S "Green" .177
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

I can verify the Steyr adapter fits directly on this pump. Works well!
http://www.gehmann.com/english/products ... tegorie=61
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

You just need to get a pump that has a female 200 bar DIN fitting. The Hill pump has one available that screws directly into the base of the pump, so there is no hose involved.

If you need any special fittings or adapters, these guys carry everything on the planet, and can help you sort things out:

http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/default.asp