Steyr LP 10 fill adapter problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Silvershooter

Steyr LP 10 fill adapter problem

Post by Silvershooter »

I have just bought a second hand LP 10, the pistol is fine but when I screw the pistol cylinder on to the adapter on the scuba tank it vents all the air in the pistol cylinder. The seals on the adapter (standard Steyr) seem to be fine. Any advice appreciated.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Did you make the right sequence?
1. Adapter on the scuba tank
2. Pistol cylinder on the adapter.
if you screw adapter directly to pistol cylinder it vents all the air in the cylinder.
If you make right sequence, no air vents when screwing on, only a little bit vents unscrewing.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It sounds like you have got a 300 bar valve on the Scuba tank.

I believe that the standard Steyr adaptor will only seat properly in a 232 bar valve. It's a safety feature to prevent over charging of the cylinder.

I think that adaptors are available to let you use the Steyr fitting in a 300 bar valve. Try the better UK target shooting shops like Surrey Guns or Edinkillie (or other good ones) who may be able to help you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think you're alright. Try two things: when it starts to vent, screw it fully on quickly. #2 When it starts to bleed, quickly back off then screw it on again.

Another option is not to worry about it and go on with your fill, though the O-ring on your adapter may be tired.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Thanks for your replies guys.
Yes I attached the adapter to the scuba tank first. (With my Morini, if I screw the adapter on to the cylinder it does not cause air to bleed.)
I will borrow an adapter at the club and see if it differs from mine.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Just look for numbers on the side of the valve. It will normally give you the pressure rating. If it says 300 bar then you need the additional adaptor.

Also, does the Steyr adaptor screw in all the way up to the hexagonal part. This would again indicate that you've got the longer thread of the 300 bar valve.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Thanks David, it has WP 232 bar stamped on it. But it will not screw in all the way to the hexagonal nut.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Silvershooter wrote:Thanks David, it has WP 232 bar stamped on it. But it will not screw in all the way to the hexagonal nut.
OK, so that isn't the problem.

Has the valve got a large bleed screw on the side opposite the screw-in adaptor? If so, is it done up properly?

Have you checked the large O-ring in the base of the Steyr adaptor?
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Ahhh ! problem solved. I put a little moly paste on to the thread of the adapter then screwed it in to the cylinder more tightly with a wrench. I was not using enough force previously. My Morini adapter needed only to be finger tight, but the Steyr adapter is slighty shorter.
Thanks for your help.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

The adaptor is a bit short even for a 232 bar.
I used a fiber washer to narrow the gap.
jaxontarget

Re:

Post by jaxontarget »

Reinhamre wrote:The adaptor is a bit short even for a 232 bar.
Excavating this thread from three years ago - I've seen one other on the same issue, which I'm having at present: Steyr adapter is finger tight on my tank valve and all the way down to the hex face. I think it's just a bit short as I'm getting the same symptom described here (no air getting in the Cylinder - it just hissed out the relief valve). Looks like I need some spacing in the form of an additional O-ring...or??? Can anyone tell me the right diameter and suggest what thickness/material worked for them? I don't think mine is ver far from the bottom. Thanks in advance for any help.
David M

Re: Steyr LP 10 fill adapter problem

Post by David M »

I have used a Neoprene Hose/Tap Washer with some success in the past.
Mtl_Biker

Re: Re:

Post by Mtl_Biker »

jaxontarget wrote:
Excavating this thread from three years ago - I've seen one other on the same issue, which I'm having at present: Steyr adapter is finger tight on my tank valve and all the way down to the hex face. I think it's just a bit short as I'm getting the same symptom described here (no air getting in the Cylinder - it just hissed out the relief valve). Looks like I need some spacing in the form of an additional O-ring...or??? Can anyone tell me the right diameter and suggest what thickness/material worked for them? I don't think mine is ver far from the bottom. Thanks in advance for any help.
As described earlier in this old thread, your tank must have a DIN 300 valve and the Steyr adapter is for DIN 232. Two solutions: Go to a hardware store and find some plumbing washers (they're thicker than o-rings) that fit and that will take up the space and allow you to fill your cylinder. Second choice and the best one (more permanent) is to buy the correct fitting from Best Fittings in England. I've already bought three of these and they work as advertised. And they work in DIN 232 *AND* DIN 300 valves. http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=339
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Mtl_Biker wrote:
jaxontarget wrote:
As described earlier in this old thread, your tank must have a DIN 300 valve and the Steyr adapter is for DIN 232. Two solutions: Go to a hardware store and find some plumbing washers (they're thicker than o-rings) that fit and that will take up the space and allow you to fill your cylinder. Second choice and the best one (more permanent) is to buy the correct fitting from Best Fittings in England. I've already bought three of these and they work as advertised. And they work in DIN 232 *AND* DIN 300 valves. http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=339

Many thanks for the link. I ordered one. In the meantime, I will pick up a spacer at the hardware store. I think mine is very close by casual measurement of the adapter threads and the cavity (about .9 inches). I think it's more likely a 232 but could be wrong. I haven't looked for a marking, but I'll check today. as far as finding a spacer at the hardware store, given that I'm dealing with compressed air, is there any materials I should look for or avoid? Would the dive shop by a likely source for a spacer? Thanks for your help.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

jaxontarget wrote: Many thanks for the link. I ordered one. In the meantime, I will pick up a spacer at the hardware store. I think mine is very close by casual measurement of the adapter threads and the cavity (about .9 inches). I think it's more likely a 232 but could be wrong. I haven't looked for a marking, but I'll check today. as far as finding a spacer at the hardware store, given that I'm dealing with compressed air, is there any materials I should look for or avoid? Would the dive shop by a likely source for a spacer? Thanks for your help.
It's really not a big deal. The kind of washer/gasket that's used in a water hose or plumbing fixture is just fine. Pure rubber can split more easily. But whatever material you get if you're constantly removing the adapter and putting it back on, will eventually crack and wear out. This really should just be a stop-gap measure to get you operational until you get the proper adapter.

Here's a photo to show what I mean: The left adapter (not the protrusion at the end) is the one that comes with the Steyr pistol and the one on the right is from Best Fittings. The Steyr one is shorter and that protrusion makes it less versatile with different DIN valves. The package in front is one of the washers that I'd gotten at a hardware store and it did work. But with any kind of washer, you'll probably have to tighten the adapter with a wrench and not just your fingers.

Hope this helps.
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
rmca

Post by rmca »

Mtl_Biker

Bear in mind that the reason why the Styer adapter is shorter is because it's intended for 232 bar, while the longer one is for 300bar.
It's a simple safety matter so you don't screw in a 200 bar cylinder into a 300 bar tank.

Hope this helps
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Thank you folks - that's a great help! I will follow up once I've purchased a spacer.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

Sure enough, I took a digital caliper out to measure. While the adapter (5-thread 200bar as supplied by Steyr) is @ .694 from the O-ring to the hex face, the valve, which I assume is 300 bar as it has more threads, is .897 inches to the bottom mating surface. So I'm thinking I need a 1/4" thick O-ring X 3/4" max diameter. I will head to the hardware store after work.