Loose Air Cylinder?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

pardoctor

Loose Air Cylinder?

Post by pardoctor »

I am shooting an Anschutz 8002 S2 compressed air rifle.

Today, midway through a 10 bull target, I produced an underpowered shot that hit nearly 3" below my point of aim.
I immediately checked the air cylinder and discovered that it had come loose a couple of turns. I re-tightened the cylinder
and completed the match without further incident. Later, during a practice session, the same thing occurred and, once
again, the cylinder had come loose.

I checked the threads on the cylinder and they seemed fine, i.e., no damage. There appeared to be more grease on the
threads than I usually prefer, so I wiped them clean. I am (sic) perplexed and bewildered!

Any suggestions?
Often wrong, but never in doubt!
rmca

Re: Loose Air Cylinder?

Post by rmca »

Wipe the grease with a dry cloth and replace the o-ring.
The new o-ring should be enough to prevent the cylinder from unscrewing.

Hope this helps
Andre

Post by Andre »

rmca wrote:Wipe the grease with a dry cloth and replace the o-ring.
The new o-ring should be enough to prevent the cylinder from unscrewing.

Hope this helps
Are you suggesting keeping the threads dry with no grease, or to relube after you replace the O-ring? I was always under the impression tank threads should be lubricated to prevent galling.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Andre wrote:Are you suggesting keeping the threads dry with no grease, or to relube after you replace the O-ring? I was always under the impression tank threads should be lubricated to prevent galling.
No, I was suggesting wiping the excess off.
If there was too much lube on the treads as pardoctor said, then wiping them with a dry cloth should leave just enough for lubrication of the treads.
The pressure from a new o-ring should be enough to prevent the cylinder from unscrewing.

Hope this helps