Advantages of clear sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Olympic Dreamer

Advantages of clear sights

Post by Olympic Dreamer »

I've noticed that quite recently clear front sights is becoming popular with manufacturers coming out with it.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/sites/defaul ... sition.jpg
http://tec-hro.de/schiesssport/en/aimin ... sight.html
http://st1.photogallery.ind.sh/wp-conte ... 721601.jpg
http://shop.mec-shot.com/news/score-crystal-fly.html

May I know what are the advantages of it why pp chose it over the traditional front sight tunnels?
Last edited by Olympic Dreamer on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbradley

Re: Advantages of clear sights

Post by mbradley »

Give it a try if you like, but I suspect you will learn why the front sight hood was created in the first place.
Olympic Dreamer

mbradley wrote:Give it a try if you like, but I suspect you will learn why the front sight hood was created in the first place.
I'm baffled that's why. I know the purpose of the front sight tunnel is to help align the rear and front sight. But there must be a reason for why pp prefer it e.g. Nicco. I don't have 1 to try it out.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I assumed the tunnel was to keep out unwanted light.
They banned hoods on pistol sights. Watch out for 2021 issf rules banning them on rifles. (dont worry just my vivid imagination)
mobarron

Post by mobarron »

If you have ever shot service rifle e.g. the M-14 or AR you have a pretty good idea of the benefits of the tube front sight vs. an open one. It's certainly possible to shoot very well with either one but I think that correct sight alignment with the tube is easier for a shooter whose practice time is limited. Mike Barron
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

There were two in WAR at WAG and there was one in all three finals. So thats a 50% percentage. Tubed front sights only made the final less than 10% of the time. Must be the thing to do!! (Sarcasm)

I did look through one and the front apature did seem to provide more contrast. The outside ring where the tube would be is visable for centering but subtle. Im skeptical that they will work well in varying light conditions but im keeping them on the 'might be good idea' list
Olympic Dreamer

redschietti wrote:There were two in WAR at WAG and there was one in all three finals. So thats a 50% percentage. Tubed front sights only made the final less than 10% of the time. Must be the thing to do!! (Sarcasm)

I did look through one and the front apature did seem to provide more contrast. The outside ring where the tube would be is visable for centering but subtle. Im skeptical that they will work well in varying light conditions but im keeping them on the 'might be good idea' list
I presume yours is this type-> http://shop.mec-shot.com/news/score-crystal-fly.html with a clear tunnel.

What about open sights? -> http://tec-hro.de/schiesssport/en/aimin ... sight.html without a tunnel
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

My thoughts (limited) are the same for both. You can see the outside of botb for centering, but subtle. For what its worth the handful of people ive talked with shooting them have been happy
Rhysatkins

Post by Rhysatkins »

I have pretty recently put them on my air rifle as where I have been shooting doesn't have the best lighting. I have found them to be pretty good for that. They aren't as "clear" as you would think and still show up nicely. (See terrible photo for bad illustration). I'm not too sure how they would be on a .22lr 50m rifle on a sunny day though.
Attachments
IMG_2672.JPG
Olympic Dreamer

Rhysatkins wrote:I have pretty recently put them on my air rifle as where I have been shooting doesn't have the best lighting. I have found them to be pretty good for that. They aren't as "clear" as you would think and still show up nicely. (See terrible photo for bad illustration). I'm not too sure how they would be on a .22lr 50m rifle on a sunny day though.
Thanks for the photo it really helps! It seems to me that the front sight tunnel is not pronounced. But it might be good under low light conditions.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I've always preferred clear plastic inserts over wires because they install without much POI change and seem to have a crisper edge. I've never tried them without a front sight tunnel so I can't speak for those.

But once you go adjustable you probably won't be back, they're very handy to have even if you rarely adjust them.
sochan

Post by sochan »

Rhysatkins wrote:I have pretty recently put them on my air rifle as where I have been shooting doesn't have the best lighting. I have found them to be pretty good for that. They aren't as "clear" as you would think and still show up nicely. (See terrible photo for bad illustration). I'm not too sure how they would be on a .22lr 50m rifle on a sunny day though.
i want to order these sight but need for outdoor shooting, did you try it in sun now?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Watch out for 2021 issf rules banning them on rifles. (dont worry just my vivid imagination)
Most of us are hoping that there are still shooting events after Tokyo. ;-o

Since hoods don't detract from any of the TV broadcast "optics", they are probably safe. If someone comes up with worries about how they look on TV, then worry. That's about all the IOC & ISSF worry about with rules these days.