Threadlock recommended?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ihasagun

Threadlock recommended?

Post by ihasagun »

Just got my lp10 and adjusted the trigger. Thought about using threadlock to keep the screw tight, so the trigger won't move out of position. Decided against it. Thoughts?
Chia

Re: Threadlock recommended?

Post by Chia »

Wait. Those threads would be a real pain to loosen safely if you haven't gotten it to exactly where you want it.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

If Loctite 'blue' is used, it can be defeated with heat. Don't do it on tiny trigger or sight screws because the heads can strip out when you try to loosen the screw.

One way of keeping a screw from drifting is to 'lightly' paint 'a few' threads 'only' in the middle of the screw with contact cement. Allow it to completely dry to a hard rubber state before using the screw. Degrease the screw before doing this.
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

I always use coloured nailpolish u lock very small screws. You can break it easily when turning the screw with a screwdriver, but the screw will not loosen by vibrations. When it does the nailpolish is cracked and shows movement of the screw. Works wonderfull on the very small screws in the rearsight /colourfilters.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

I would only use threadlock on my springer guns where I know the recoil and vibrations will eventually loosen up the screws.

On the trigger of my LP10, I wiped the groove that clamps onto the rail and the threads of the tightening screw with isopropyl alcohol. That assures me that there are no traces of grease or oil. Then tighten the screw with just enough torque without buggering the head slot and your trigger won't move outta position.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Use an easily removable grade.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/threadlocking-9150.htm

you will need to count out turns to apply and return to setting.
hundert

Post by hundert »

no, not recommended, don't do anything.

Make a picture of the screws (the ones that are important) so you see if they turned after a month, other than that don't do anything
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Albert T wrote:I always use coloured nailpolish u lock very small screws. You can break it easily when turning the screw with a screwdriver, but the screw will not loosen by vibrations. When it does the nailpolish is cracked and shows movement of the screw. Works wonderfull on the very small screws in the rearsight /colourfilters.

Albert T
(The Netherlands)
Good idea but what colour is best? ;-))
rmca

Post by rmca »

Brian Girling wrote:Good idea but what colour is best? ;-))
If you want to go there, the only right answer is someting with sparkes! ;)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Anything but "Hot Pink" would be gauche.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

Rover,

Streetwalker red always worked for the Navy and Marine teams.

I have used purple locktite on small screws before, it requires like 10 inch points to break but works to prevent vibratory loosening.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Albert T wrote:I always use coloured nailpolish u lock very small screws.
I think Albert's idea is the safest for small screws.

It is often not recognised that Loctite does not work on some metal substrates such as aluminium and stainless steel - two metals we come across quite often. If you want to use threadlocker on these metals the threads must be cleaned and you have to use a primer first - all a bit too complicated. Stick to the nail varnish!

Bob
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

If you are fixing industrial sprockets to shafts semi permanently then yes degrease and maybe primer. If you just want to gum up a small trigger adjuster then even a bit of oil will not hurt. It just needs the oxygen supply cut off for the anaerobic setting to take effect.
joel

Post by joel »

Yes, the purple Loctite 222 is the right one to use.

Joel
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

For setscrews you might want to consider a "wicking" formula. They are low strength and penetrate the threads without having to disassemble/readjust.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadlo ... 00880SHEK/

I'd be sure you really need a threadlocker at all though. Over time you'll need to clean the residue, and that's quite a small screw to service.
j-team

Post by j-team »

joel wrote:Yes, the purple Loctite 222 is the right one to use.

Joel
I wouldn't use anything, but if you insist then this is the one to use.