Offhand Advice Request

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Surveyor

Offhand Advice Request

Post by Surveyor »

Currently we have a young lady in our local 4-H SS program who is doing exceptionally well with sporter air rifle. In the offhand she holds elevation hard but with a ten shot group I see her producing a straight line from the 6/7 at 9 o’clock to the same at 3 o’clock. Recommendations?
Shooter

Re: Offhand Advice Request

Post by Shooter »

Hi: Sounds typical to me. Many people have a sideways sway. Check to see if the feet are shoulder width apart and parallel to each other. I have seen some girls/women who spread their feet out more than shoulder width that seems to work well, too. She might have trouble with her balance as well. Try having her just stand there with no rifle and close her eyes and you check to see if she is stable or not. I might mention that I have the largest library of shooting sports info in private hands in the country and I know there is something in it that might help. If you would like to see what is there and how to see some of it, send me your name and mailing address to my email: bawilli@comcast.net. Don in Oregon
Barry

Post by Barry »

Her weight should be more on her heals than the balls of her feet, about 60% heal, 40% ball.

Being weighted the opposite of this causes sway.
Jimro

Post by Jimro »

A lot of kids wear running shoes in sporter air rifle. The extra cushion on running shoes doesn't build a stable platform and makes the natural sway worse.

If she is wearing running shoes, have her folks take her to Walmart and buy a cheap pair of "Faded Glory" canvas sneakers. http://www.walmart.com/ip/FADED-GLORY-G ... R/36071579 It may not fix all the sway, but it will help build a solid foundation.

Jimro
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Jimro wrote:,..... have her folks take her to Walmart and buy a cheap pair of "Faded Glory" canvas sneakers. http://www.walmart.com/ip/FADED-GLORY-G ... R/36071579 It may not fix all the sway, but it will help build a solid foundation.

Jimro
What he said^.

I tell them skateboard shoes. flat sole.
That's the first thing we normally recommend that the parents buy.
(Not scopes, stands, etc ... start inexpensive)

Make sure you let them know only to wear them at practice and matches.
Now they should get a bag to hold "their stuff". Even a small gym bag.
THEN they have no excuse for not carting their journal around either.
Pens, pencils ... every once in a while I'll hit Staples or something like that if I see a sale on Sharpies. The rainbow packs are nice as everyone gets to pick a different color.

If the folks are pushing you for more stuff for the beginners ... a glove, a sling fits too.
If we start having them go to SBR practices too the glove & sling are a must as they can use them in both disciplines.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

If the folks are pushing you for more stuff for the beginners ... a glove, a sling fits too.
[/quote]

A sling for Sporter Air Rifle ??? Not in the UK you don't.

I agree - cheap trainers - no squingy soles.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Brian Girling wrote:A sling for Sporter Air Rifle ??? Not in the UK you don't.
US & S. Africa - use CMP 3-P Air Rules.
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

jhmartin wrote:
Brian Girling wrote:A sling for Sporter Air Rifle ??? Not in the UK you don't.
US & S. Africa - use CMP 3-P Air Rules.
The OP referred to "offhand" which I understood to mean unsupported.
pftarch

Post by pftarch »

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to those who pointed out that athletic shoes contribute to sway. As a "super elite" basement sniper/marksman, I watched my scores go from "horrific" to "only mildly embarrassing" just by shooting offhand barefoot.

Thanks again!

Peter T.
JDMANN

Post by JDMANN »

Yoga helped my 225# fullback son improve his standing scores. Seriously! It helped build his core strength and balance. The others are spot on about the shoes. A former Olympic coach told us the "stuff" that makes shoes comfortable, makes shooting like you're standing in a pirogue (canoe for you non-Cajuns).
shawn706

Post by shawn706 »

If the horizontal drift is consistent, and you can compare multiple sets of targets and see a repeating pattern, then she may not be adjusting her natural point of aim.
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

So she has lateral stringing in a 10 shot group on the same target? Just want to be sure so I can make a useful suggestion.

NPA is a solid suggestion and without watching her, it would be my first guess. Lateral can also be the result of an inconsistent support hand placement, as it can cause very minor shifts in alignment.

-Jenrick