Non pro shooter looking for first pro quality .22 pistol

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bsd

Non pro shooter looking for first pro quality .22 pistol

Post by bsd »

I've always enjoyed target shooting, but don't get to shoot as often as I'd like.
Lately lots of shotgun disciplines.

Took my wife to the range to shoot and brought my new Ruger MKIII Competition. She loved shooting it and said she wants one of her own.
I can't see wasting the money on a second MKIII, I want to get one of the better competition models

That said, I'm not competing so I'm mostly interested in finding a decent target pistol that is simple to use, easy to maintain and durable.
We certainly don't need a high maintenance firearm, any suggestions?

Caliber .22
Budget $2,000
ghillieman

Re: Non pro shooter looking for first pro quality .22 pistol

Post by ghillieman »

$2000 will easily buy a used Pardini SP. The Pardini is much easier to maintain than the Ruger. It is also on an entirely different level than the Ruger.
You say your not competing but have you two shot in a bullseye match before?
dronning

Post by dronning »

+1 on the Pardini if you have a $2K budget, great trigger very accurate. You will find they hold their value very well too. For a few hundred more you can get a brand new Bullseye Edition with iron sights. You won't regret it.

I'm currently shooting a 1911 Nelson conversion and love it, but when I make Master I'll be buying a Pardini as a reward to myself (goal setting).

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
bsd

Post by bsd »

Thanks!
The Bullseye can be converted to .32 as well, nice!

As for competition, my son and I are shooting ATA Trap.
When the target's not moving we like the .22 target, both pistol and rifle
We need both, guessing affordable .22 rifle is mostly Anschutz
I'll be back for rifle recommendations when we have more experience
Rover

Post by Rover »

"We certainly don't need a high maintenance firearm, any suggestions?"

Yeah, a Ruger....you won't be wasting your money on a high maintenance plinker.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I believe there are a couple used Pardini SPs ending soon on gunbroker.com right now for under $2,000.
perazzi

Post by perazzi »

bsd wrote:Thanks!
The Bullseye can be converted to .32 as well, nice!

As for competition, my son and I are shooting ATA Trap.
When the target's not moving we like the .22 target, both pistol and rifle
We need both, guessing affordable .22 rifle is mostly Anschutz
I'll be back for rifle recommendations when we have more experience
What state do you shoot ata trap?
bsd

Post by bsd »

perazzi wrote: What state do you shoot ata trap?
Unfortunately, NJ
wv109323

Post by wv109323 »

I would proceed with caution on the Pardini. While the pistol is accurate ,reliable, and no maintenance it is awkwardly balanced. The trigger magazine and barrel (and red dot if needed) are forward of the grip. This makes the pistol nose heavy.
My Pardini is an older one that did not have the option to mount a red dot sight. The option at the time was to buy a BME mount. That mount attaches with the front barrel screw. The red dot must be mounted forward of the desired position. The newer pistol do not have this problem and there is now a Pardini housing to correct my problem.
I advise you to shoot one before you drop the cash. The Pardini is also a pure target pistol. There is no way to carry it on a hike into the woods.
I would look at a Nelson conversion on a 1911 frame. That way you could also have a .45 slide to make it much more versatile.
sparky

Post by sparky »

In retrospect, you said you're not competing, so a $1500-2000 target gun probably isn't what you want.

Just buy a Ruger Mark II or Mark III and call it a day. If you want some thing a little fancier, go for the Sig Trailside/Hammerli X-esse.

It's just a little odd, since you're coming on a very heavily competition-oriented forum to ask for a recommendation.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey Sparky, we agree on something!
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

How about a S&W 41?

Great gun and well within your price range.
bsd

Post by bsd »

sparky wrote:In retrospect, you said you're not competing, so a $1500-2000 target gun probably isn't what you want.

Just buy a Ruger Mark II or Mark III and call it a day. If you want some thing a little fancier, go for the Sig Trailside/Hammerli X-esse.

It's just a little odd, since you're coming on a very heavily competition-oriented forum to ask for a recommendation.
Just because I'm presently not competing, doesn't mean I don't push myself to shoot better.
It also doesn't mean that I don't appreciate quality components.
I'm not a professional mechanic, but when I have a tool that I use frequently I'll buy it from Snap-On, not Sears.

We're competing in Trap, but we would shoot just as well with a Browning as we do with a Krieghoff, but I have both.
The Krieghoff is designed to last forever, with proper care. The Browning is designed to last forever, with minimal use.

As I mentioned, I started with a Ruger MkIII, and don't want to buy a second one, I want something different, and better.

I never shoot anywhere other than a closed range. No trails, no backyard pests, etc.
I'll take a look at the guns you mentioned.

I asked this here because I thought this forum may have some insight as to which of the better pistols would be most appropriate for me. I want one that is good, better (preferably much better) than my Ruger, but not high maintenance.

Thanks for all of the comments thus far
Rover

Post by Rover »

Wile E Coyote wrote:How about a S&W 41?

Great gun and well within your price range.
This is the classic American target pistol. I have been using the same one for over thirty years. They are easily available, new or used, and are fully supported by S&W (you may have heard of them).
jholtman

Post by jholtman »

Wow. A man comes to the "heavy competition-oriented" forum with a list of requirements for a pistol. He obviously came hear to see what the "experts" recommend. What better people to ask, and some tell him that he should not be here because he doesn't compete and buy the pistol that he originally said he did not want. I have been a competitor for over 40 years and have given my opinion more times than I can count, and have never told anyone to go ask someone else if you don't compete. All that being said, I have owned the Ruger, High Standard Victor, and Pardini SP. All just sit in the safe except the Pardini as it is an exceptional pistol. If you can find one in your price range, buy it and enjoy the time on the range.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, in THAT case...spring for a FWB AW93. If it's good enough for the USMC shooting teams, it's good enough for you.
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

Rover wrote:Well, in THAT case...spring for a FWB AW93. If it's good enough for the USMC shooting teams, it's good enough for you.
In THAT case. Buy both the Pardini and the Feinwerkbau and use whichever one you prefer.

PM me for my address to send the one you don't use.
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I'm new to this, also interested in the Olympic style 22s. I have no opportunity to actually see these guns, no-one local seems to have them.There seems to be a rather significant difference in grip angles among the various models (I think). If one were using the 22/45 (1911), Mark 3, and say the S&W 41 grip angles as reference points, how would you guys compare the Pardini and AW93?
dronning

Post by dronning »

Gregbenner wrote: how would you guys compare the Pardini and AW93?
BOTH can be made to replicate a 1911 grip angle with aftermarket grips. I've been told you can tilt the Pardini grips to be more like the 1911 angle but Dave Horton makes a great 1911 angle grip for the Pardini.

Brian Zins has reworked his stock AW93 grips to not only replicate the angle of the 1911 grips, they are almost exactly like the slabsides of a 1911, not pretty (I didn't see any duct tape) but effective.

- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Last April I shot with an older shooter, of rather slight build, who was right handed but suffered nerve damage in that forearm and had to switch to his left hand. He was a Pardini shooter, but switching to the left hand grip with the 7 degree offset, to compensate for cross dominant eye, was still too much gun weight wise (even sans springs), so he ended up with a AW93 with the aluminum subframe. He said the Fienwerkbau was not in the same league as the Pardini, not even close. The difference was due to the recoil dampening system in the Pardini and the ease of trigger adjustment.

Having said that, I am a Pardini fan and have never shot an AW93. Take the comment for what it is worth. Check out thread at http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5587-fwb- ... p-bullseye dipnet