Which model Hammerli Free-Pistol is this???

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
THREEDFLYER

Which model Hammerli Free-Pistol is this???

Post by THREEDFLYER »

I am going to list this for sale soon and trying to identify the model of this Hammerli Free-Pistol.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Tom
scausi

Re: Which model Hammerli Free-Pistol is this???

Post by scausi »

looks like 103 or 104
Google them , some advertised have hex barrels some don't ,
You need to look at the triggers and trigger guards ,and barrels .
is there no marking on the pistol to give you a clue .
AS there were early 103 ,that would not have the Olympic rings on as they were manufactured over a long number of years .
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Tom,
There are a lot of transitional Hammerli free pistols in the 100-107 series. Maybe they were using up parts on hand, or maybe it was on an order by order basis.
What it looks like you have here is an early 100-103 style trigger assembly with a 104 style round barrel. It's not the 101 style round barrel, which was a heavy bull barrel. Those are quite rare.
But, the most important factor is the frame, whose model designation is tied to the serial number. A four digit number puts it in the 100-103 series range. This is desirable from a collector's perspective, due the low production numbers and abundance of handcrafted workmanship. However, even if yours falls within that range, with the modified grip and fore end, this would probably be negated. Also, the Olympic ring examples have come to acquire a market value premium over those lacking them.
None of this matters from a shooter perspective.

Best Regards,
Jim
Last edited by 6string on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deigeh Nisht

Post by Deigeh Nisht »

Hammerli 101 with a modified forend.
THREEDFLYER

Post by THREEDFLYER »

The serial number is 30100 if that makes the ID process easier.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Tom,

The 30100 serial number confirms your Hammerli as a 104.
Actually, it's a very early one, thus possibly explaining the early style trigger assembly.

I hope this helps you out.

Best regards,
Jim
6string

Post by 6string »

Deleted
Last edited by 6string on Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THREEDFLYER

Post by THREEDFLYER »

Thank you Jim for the info.
Would an early Model 104 have been built prior to 1965??
Just curious because when I can send it to a C&R license holder if it qualifies when I list it for sale.
Tom
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Tom,

You might want to confirm if the Hammerli 104 is on the BATFE curio & relic list.
I can confirm with Hammerli documentation that the 104 came out in 1962. There's even a commonly cited review of the 104 in American Rifleman from 1963. So, you're probably safe.
But, the C & R list would probably be the final word, in a legal sense.

By the way, I think I was wrong in my previous email on the grip observations. While they have been heavily reworked, it appears they are likely original, or at least by Hammerli. Have you taken them off to see if they're numbered to the gun? The earlier 100-103s generally have the serial number stamped inside the grip and fore end.

Jim
THREEDFLYER

Post by THREEDFLYER »

Thanks a bunch Jim!
I posted this Hammerli on GunBroker last night, so I updated the information to include what you have provided me with.
This was owned by a good friend of mine, and although it's a nice piece, it's not quite like my Morini!!
Tom
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi Tom,

You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could help. Your Hammerli was made in the first year (1962), in case my previous post wasn't too clear.
I saw your listing. I think it was a good move listing it the way you did as a true auction.

Best Regards,
Jim
fourbore

Post by fourbore »

Hello, I believe this is my first post on this forum although I found I already was registered. I know this is an old 2007 post, but; it is discussing a gun with a serial number very close to another I am trying to date.

I am trying to make an out of state purchase from an FFL with my C&R FFL of a Hammerli pistol. It looks like a 104, based on blue book attributes. The dealer has is marked as a 106 and does not know why. The buyer no longer works for him. The serial number is 313xx. I need to be able to show the gun is 50 years or older. That is 1967 or earlier.

The gun is question looks like the one posted here. That is to my untrained eye. Same skinny round barrel. The front stock is missing.

An email or cut and paste from the internet will not suffice. Can I get anything official with the year of manufacture?

Based on this thread, that would likely be 1962.
Last edited by fourbore on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourbore

Post by fourbore »

6string,

I sent a PM and not sure I am using that resource correctly. In a nut shell, I sure would appreciate any help you can provide on dating and documenting this pistol.