25m Pistol Timer (new Android app with shot detection)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ToTheZeroth

25m Pistol Timer (new Android app with shot detection)

Post by ToTheZeroth »

I couldn't find a good timer app with shot detection for the ISSF 25m events at Google Play, so I decided to make one. I've uploaded it to Google Play in case it should interest anyone else (it's completely free). You can choose from 5 minutes, 5×3 seconds, 150 seconds, 20 seconds, 10 seconds, 8 seconds, 6 seconds or 4 seconds. It beeps or vibrates (your choice) for START/ATTENTION, and, if you like, for target turns.

If you should happen to try it out, I would be very happy to get some feedback, such as:
  • Did you have to change the loudness threshold setting to get your shots registered correctly?
  • Did you have any trouble with target turn noise registering as shots? (I've only tested it on stationary targets.)
  • Did you experience any crashes, lagging, user interface looking weird, or other bugs?
  • Are there any additional features you would like? There are certainly things I could implement, but I probably won't bother unless someone is going to use them.
You can get it from the app page on Google Play (or just search for "25m Pistol Timer").
grmdaddyo

Re: 25m Pistol Timer (new Android app with shot detection)

Post by grmdaddyo »

There is an international pistol timer on the Google App Store that I've used for some time:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en
Works very well too.
I'll give yours a try as well. Thanks for the contribution!!

GRM
walter.rothe

Post by walter.rothe »

I will get mine for free on Saturday, I'm sponsored by Walther cause I participating in the para olympics I'm very happy!
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

grmdaddyo wrote:There is an international pistol timer on the Google App Store that I've used for some time:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en
Works very well too.
Yes, that's one of the apps I tried before deciding on making my own. It's very nice and intuitive, although only in Spanish (but then, mine is only in English, at least so far). But it doesn't have shot detection. There are a number of shot detection apps out there, but mainly for the IPSC market. (Also, I couldn't find how to set the loading time on that timer. Out of the box, it commands attention almost immediately when started, which is a problem because when attention comes, I'm supposed to be doing my pre-sighting.)
rmca

Post by rmca »

I've downloaded your app, but didn't try it at the range yet.
A couple of suggestions:

1- Add an option to choose voices or beeps for the commands. It would be nice to hear load and start instead of a beep.
2- If a shot is out of time it should appear in red. In the 5 x 3 seconds, for example, it would make more sense.
3- Keep the shot detection active for longer after the time has passed.
4- Add an option for the finals in air and free pistol. You already have the 150 second part, you just need the 50 seconds.

Best regards and thank you!
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

rmca wrote:A couple of suggestions:

1- Add an option to choose voices or beeps for the commands. It would be nice to hear load and start instead of a beep.
2- If a shot is out of time it should appear in red. In the 5 x 3 seconds, for example, it would make more sense.
3- Keep the shot detection active for longer after the time has passed.
4- Add an option for the finals in air and free pistol. You already have the 150 second part, you just need the 50 seconds.
These are all good ideas. I've added them to version 1.2, and the update is now available at Google Play. There's no voice command for load (yet), but for attention, start and stop. (I used the audio samples that are on Wiktionary.) I added the 150 seconds final series as its own event, because loading time and command sequence differs from the STP series.
Heddok

Post by Heddok »

This is the app I've been looking for. The only glitch so far is that if the sensitivity is turned down a bit then the Attention command is causing a false first shot to appear.

I was trying to get it to register the "click" of the pistol for dry fire training.

Other than that it is a very good app.
argus

Post by argus »

Trying to install but keep getting "error while retrieving information from server"?
Any chance of a manual setting where the user can enter the time they want for non-ISSF match practice?

Edit: Finally got it to download. Very handy little app, thank you!
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Great App! Really enjoying it. Suggestions for future releases would be to be able to select the size of the red / green dots up to a nice big blob with the idea that the device could be hung on wall above a resized target to replicate an electronic target. Even fancier would be to have a size-selectable black circle with the red / green dot above it so that you could dry-fire at the phone / tablet. Even fancier still could be an animated turning target (just the black, scoring lines not needed but being able to select either a standard black centre or rapid-fire black with aiming lines at 3 and 9 o'clock); but hey no pressure - what you've done so far is fantastic!
Brian Girling

Post by Brian Girling »

Very useful, I use an LP50 with a dry-fire magazine at home. (ISSF style pistols are banned in UK.)

I can not see all of the screen (Sony Xperia Dual 3.5" screen). I can not scroll or resize any suggestions please. No problems with the phone otherwise.
rmca

Post by rmca »

A little bug and a couple more suggestions:

1- If select one mode, for example 8 seconds, and then want to come back to the menu by pressing "back" on my phone the program exits. It should return to the menu.

2- I've tried it on a smaller phone, and like Brian Girling I can't scroll down after selecting one option (any option). It's annoying because it doesn't show the last shot (5th).

3- If it's possible without much work, add an custom option where we can define the time available for loading, shooting and also the number of shots. It would be nice to practice, for example the first shot under 2,7 seconds in the 5x3 seconds, or to set it for 90 minutes and 60 shots so one can trace back a full match (in practice, since phones are not allowed in matches).

Again, Best Regards and Thank You for making this app!
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

Thank you all for your kind words of appreciation, and especially for your valuable suggestions!

I've uploaded version 1.4 to Google Play now, and updating should address many of your concerns. As always, your testing will be most helpful. More specific replies follow below.
Heddok wrote:The only glitch so far is that if the sensitivity is turned down a bit then the Attention command is causing a false first shot to appear.
Yes, there was a bug with that introduced along with the voice commands. I've tried to tweak the settings for temporarily disabling the shot detection. It's not an exact science, let me know if you still have issues with this in 1.4, or if you get new issues.
argus wrote:Any chance of a manual setting where the user can enter the time they want for non-ISSF match practice?
Added to 1.4. Just choose "New custom event" in the navigation drawer and I hope it's fairly workable from there.
Fortitudo Dei wrote:Suggestions for future releases would be to be able to select the size of the red / green dots up to a nice big blob with the idea that the device could be hung on wall above a resized target to replicate an electronic target. Even fancier would be to have a size-selectable black circle with the red / green dot above it so that you could dry-fire at the phone / tablet. Even fancier still could be an animated turning target (just the black, scoring lines not needed but being able to select either a standard black centre or rapid-fire black with aiming lines at 3 and 9 o'clock); but hey no pressure - what you've done so far is fantastic!
I haven't implemented this, but it's something I'll think of. The Spanish app mentioned by grmdaddyo above actually does have this feature (with animated targets), but I don't know if that suits your needs.
Brian Girling wrote:I can not see all of the screen (Sony Xperia Dual 3.5" screen). I can not scroll or resize any suggestions please. No problems with the phone otherwise.
rmca wrote:2- I've tried it on a smaller phone, and like Brian Girling I can't scroll down after selecting one option (any option). It's annoying because it doesn't show the last shot (5th).
Indeed, the layout was not optimal for small screens. I've changed this in 1.4, so that:
1) the whole thing is scrollable, and
2) when the series is done (or you tap Cancel), if the table requires scrolling, the other elements are removed so there's more room for the table, possibly avoiding the need to scroll.
Let me know if this works for you. I don't think width is a problem, is it?
rmca wrote:1- If select one mode, for example 8 seconds, and then want to come back to the menu by pressing "back" on my phone the program exits. It should return to the menu.
While this might seem unintuitive, it's not actually a bug, but the way navigation drawers are designed to work on Android. You'll have to open the drawer by swiping from the left (or tapping the app icon).
rmca wrote:3- If it's possible without much work, add an custom option where we can define the time available for loading, shooting and also the number of shots. It would be nice to practice, for example the first shot under 2,7 seconds in the 5x3 seconds, or to set it for 90 minutes and 60 shots so one can trace back a full match (in practice, since phones are not allowed in matches).
As for fractions of seconds, I'll put that a bit down on my to-do list, as it would be relatively much work for relatively little benefit. On the other hand, through combining the addition of custom events and the addition of scrolling, your 60-shot use case should now (1.4) be possible. You'll have to check "Listen for more than 5 shots" of course (I disabled that by default because it was picking up my putting the gun down on the bench after a series – maybe you are more careful with that than me!).
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

Fortitudo Dei wrote:Suggestions for future releases would be to be able to select the size of the red / green dots up to a nice big blob with the idea that the device could be hung on wall above a resized target to replicate an electronic target. Even fancier would be to have a size-selectable black circle with the red / green dot above it so that you could dry-fire at the phone / tablet. Even fancier still could be an animated turning target (just the black, scoring lines not needed but being able to select either a standard black centre or rapid-fire black with aiming lines at 3 and 9 o'clock); but hey no pressure - what you've done so far is fantastic!
I've added this to version 1.5 which is live now. It's the top item under Settings, "User interface". You can choose between target with lights, turning target, just the red light, just the green light, or a large, fullscreen timer. All the fullscreen elements are resizable by pinch zooming (and the resizing is remembered so if you dry-fire at the same distance all the time you don't need to do that more than once). Let me know if you miss something, or if it doesn't work as it should!
rmca wrote:3- If it's possible without much work, add an custom option where we can define the time available for loading, shooting and also the number of shots. It would be nice to practice, for example the first shot under 2,7 seconds in the 5x3 seconds, or to set it for 90 minutes and 60 shots so one can trace back a full match (in practice, since phones are not allowed in matches).
Update on fractions of seconds: I've added an option in the microphone settings for adjusting when a shot is to be flagged late. If you set that to "0.3 seconds before red light" you will get any shots after 2.70 in red. Of course, this is purely ornamental and doesn't affect the command sequence (or the target animations, should you choose the new dry fire mode), but perhaps it is useful for your 2.7-second practice.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Thanks again!

Best regards
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Thanks ToTheZeroth!
Those are great additions. I'm using it on a Nexus tablet and being able to pinch-zoom the targets to size is a fantastic feature. I admire your skills in this area and really appreciate what you have created.
eskaar

Post by eskaar »

Hi and thanks for the timer app. It is really good. I do however have a feature request.

Some of us have phones where the screen automatically locks after a few seconds, and it would we awesome if the application prohibited the screen lock as long as this application is in the foreground. I have seen this done in other timer apps, but they are unfortunately missing other features that yours already have.

Many people can turn of the screen lock, but sometimes the employer forces the lock when you use the device to receive company emails.

Thanks!
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

eskaar wrote:Some of us have phones where the screen automatically locks after a few seconds, and it would we awesome if the application prohibited the screen lock as long as this application is in the foreground. I have seen this done in other timer apps, but they are unfortunately missing other features that yours already have.
Done in 1.8 and uploaded. I've decided to let the screen lock work as usual when the timer is idle, but prevent screen locks while it's running (that is, when the "Start" button is inactive and the "Cancel" button active, or when a fullscreen UI is shown). I hope this works for you.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Nice, very nice.

How can you tell which version is download?
ToTheZeroth

Post by ToTheZeroth »

diopter wrote:How can you tell which version is download?
The version is shown at the bottom of the Google Play page, it may require clicking "more info" or something.

If you want to know what version you have currently installed on your Android device, you can go to Settings → Applications → Manage applications (may be a little different depending on your device/OS version), and look up the app in the list, it will show the version among other information.

Alternatively, of course, you can go into "My apps" in the Play store, and look for updates. If there is no update, you have the latest version. (In most cases you should get an automatic notification when there's an update available.)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

ToTheZeroth wrote:
Update on fractions of seconds: I've added an option in the microphone settings for adjusting when a shot is to be flagged late. If you set that to "0.3 seconds before red light" you will get any shots after 2.70 in red. Of course, this is purely ornamental and doesn't affect the command sequence (or the target animations, should you choose the new dry fire mode), but perhaps it is useful for your 2.7-second practice.
I have only just downloaded the app but am very impressed by what I've seen so far.

I am a bit confused by the "0.3 seconds before red light". Why would anyone want that?