Left handed junior rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Jrshooterdad

Left handed junior rifle

Post by Jrshooterdad »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a junior rifle for a 12 year old lefty. 1903 full size is a little heavy and the junior rifle is right hand bolt only. Thanks
conradin

Re: Left handed junior rifle

Post by conradin »

We have that age, using 1903. No problem. Just struggle to get comfortable into position more. Once comfortable, no problem.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Not sure it's at all anything to do with age, but the size and the strength of the shooter. I've had 12 year old's (large) able to handle a 1913 and see collegiates (small gals) really struggle with something that big.

All that said, a good position can help a whole bunch too.
Texdance

Post by Texdance »

Weight means a lot to the student shooter, so before a big investment make sure the student can handle the weight of the rifle by checking actual scores if possible.

The current Anschutz 1903 Junior rifles as sold by Champions Choice weigh 8.8 lbs., and are ambidextrous, though the bolt is on the right. Our group includes two students, both intermediates, who use these rifles left handed. But neither of them plan to take the sport beyond high school, and their scores are not at the 'serious' level yet.

With lefty rifles, including left bolt, the choices are very slim - either less expensive adult size and heavy older rifles - 10.1 pounds or more, or expensive and heavy adult size newer rifles- $2200 and up.

Best bet is to buy a true lefty in one of the metal fully adjustable stocks, new or used, then sell it when it no longer fits the bill. The resale value should be 80% or more of the original price. Rough estimate - total cost about $120-$240 per year over the course of a 3-4 years. If it is kept in pristine condition then resold at the end of three or four years the amortized monthly cost is more affordable. Just buy quality, with a great resale value now, and you should be okay in a few years.

The cheapest ambi-stock with right bolt rifle is the Savage Mk II from Civilian Marksmanship Program for about $225. While not great for adjustability, they shoot 1 MOA by manufacturer guarantee (and by my personal actual test of eight of them), and as long as one puts blue Loctite on all the sight screws before taking it into the field, is should perform okay. A handy person can even add an accessory rail cheaply.
Jrshooterdad

Post by Jrshooterdad »

Thank you for the advice. Currently a member of the club is working on changing the bolt on the clubs 1903 junior to run off the left side of the gun so he doesn't have to break down his position after each shot. As long as he stays with it a more expensive gun is in his future. I have already started saving. Thanks again
Andre

Post by Andre »

At my club, juniors start with Anschutz Achievers. When their scores get higher they move onto old Winchester and Remington rifles, then if they really soar Anschutz guns. In the fleet now: 1903, 1907, 1914, 1914 SM.

The 1903 is the best for a junior. Straight forward "standard rifle" adjustments with the accuracy of the big-boy-toys. Medium weight, as to not hurt still growing flexible backs. You kill your back, you kill your career.

If it's too heavy, I'm sure there is meat under the foreend that can be removed, or a lighter profile "sporter" profile barrel that can be installed. Do not flute or mill a button rifled barrel, or it might flex. Not too bad for a junior, but still.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Turns out our club acquired a couple of left-handed rifles, but I had plans to cut one of these left-handed Martini Mark II's down for juniors. These are noted for their very short, in-the-shoulder bolt throws and left-handed feeds. These were made with both heavy and light barrels and can be cut down for weight reduction and modern balance by shortening the barrel and adding a bloop tube as well as some wood surgery. These used rifles are currently being imported from clubs in GB by Duffy's in Maryland and Lock Stock and Barrel in LA and can be had in the $3-600 range when available, as opposed to the $1100 of a 1903L.

I figured I could get the weight down to 8-9lbs to equal that of the older Match 64's we prefer once youngsters graduate out of the Achievers. The 10 pounds of the current 1903 series and older XX07's is a bit heavy for many graduating from the 6-7lb Achievers to something larger, and the 64's and 64C's at 7-8lbs are excellent transition rifles that also balance well out of the box. In turn, the BSA's, Remingtons, Kimbers, 52's and Valmets all have that 1950-era muzzle heaviness that requires major surgery to correct.
Bob
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Bob,

Was the project successful?
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Tim S wrote:Bob,

Was the project successful?
Woulda been, but when we got an unexpected financial windfall and acquired factory-made left-handed rifles, I sold the Martini off.
Bob
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

How very fortuitous, although I'm sad not to see the report on the BSA, those are always a pleasure to read.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Tim S wrote:How very fortuitous, although I'm sad not to see the report on the BSA, those are always a pleasure to read.
Sure enough, today we had more promising left-handed kids than we have left-handed rifles. But I don't regret selling off that BSA, as it was the heavy-barrel model and extremely muzzle heavy. I'm still looking for the same model BSA made with the lighter-contour barrel.

I'm not a fan of cutting up classics either, but these were intended to use, and the 1950's solution of a 15lb rifle that balances four inches forward of the receiver ring and has a 14+ inch length of pull is difficult for an adult male to handle in 3P, and is totally useless for a 13-year-old adolescent. ;)
Bob
swift220swift

Post by swift220swift »

You could do something like this on a 1903 junior gun
1903 Junior lefty Adapter.jpg
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

The walther kk300 in the lite barrel is great and IMO over lookedplus you get sights with it
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

Bob