Duracell Batteries Bad News

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Duracell Batteries Bad News

Post by K38 »

Guys I have no proper research to back this up but this is about the third time this has happened to me. I also collect cameras including a specialization in the end of the film era 35mm SLRs (Nikon F4, F5, Canon EOS 1) I was checking my Morini 162 EI today and it was not live so I checked the batteries . The Duracell AAA batteries in the gun had leaked on the electronics board. I have had them leak into very nice cameras as well. The best thing is of course not to leave any batteries in any gear at all, but that's a bit of a pain in the ^%#^. But until then I will never use their batteries again, not evening a 99 cent flash light. The battery was dated 2017.

DLB
There is no situation a man and his dremel tool can't make much, much worse.
Bob-Riegl

Re: Duracell Batteries Bad News

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Yes, I was wondering if I was the only one with these Duracell problems. I have had many close calls with them and damned near lost an expensive (wow) Leica to them....had to play hard ball and use a lawyer (expensive) to get them to payup for repairs on the Leica (also expensive). Pssst. don't use them and be careful with those (other) supposedly "sealed" batteries ----they all leak....."Doc"
K38

Post by K38 »

I have had no trouble at all with Eveready but I have a feeling it may not be any different. There really is no excuse as the gun was in a nice cool, dark safe in a climate controlled room. Good to see another Leica guy here! I have 5 in my collection. Someday I would like an M digital, but Two months pay for a camera body seems like a lot. One of my cats is even named Leica, and of course the other is Nikon!
conradin

Post by conradin »

I use the Energizer, no problem on all four of my electronic arms.
conradin

Post by conradin »

K38 wrote:One of my cats is even named Leica, and of course the other is Nikon!
If they understand what they are, they probably will be mad at you. I, for one, will not name a cat Hasselblad.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have also sworn off using Duracells after having several leaks, and I have heard from others about the same issues. Radio Shack batteries used to be OK, but a few years ago they started leaking in the package, before I even installed them. The only thing I trust these days is Energizers, and I've gotten more religious about removing cells from stuff I don't use very often.
william

Post by william »

"Good to see another Leica guy here! I have 5 in my collection. Someday I would like an M digital, but Two months pay for a camera body seems like a lot. One of my cats is even named Leica, and of course the other is Nikon!"

You just reminded me how much I miss shooting film. When portability and "hip-shooting" were the priority, my default was an Olympus XA. My favorite Leica camera was the one that wasn't marked Leica - the Minolta CLE.
desben

Post by desben »

Just use rechargeable nimh batteries, they don't leak. The newer "LSD" have awesome capacity and stay charged even if not used for long periods. Look for Eneloop.