Changing Izhmash 7-3 trigger reach to be like 7-4

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

Scott W

Changing Izhmash 7-3 trigger reach to be like 7-4

Post by Scott W »

Hi, I have a 7-3 rifle with a Larsen barrel that I got from Altius for my kids. One dropped out of the sport and the other is using a loaner rifle from our club. I want to get a better fit for my use, and one of the things I want to change is the distance from the rear of the trigger guard to the trigger. I have moved the trigger as far forward on the rail as it will go, but it still seems relatively close to the back--the distance is about 1.6 cm to the closest part of the curved trigger blade. Is that maximum separation different on a 7-4? I notice that the 7-3 trigger blade is curved and offset towards the rear, whereas the 7-4 trigger is more straight in shape and comes straight down from the rail. Can anyone confirm that? Is is possible to put a 7-4 trigger blade on a 7-3? Are the trigger constructions between the 7-3 and 7-4 identical except for the blade? Elsewhere it's been stated that the only difference between the 7-3 and 7-4 is stock size, but I would like to know the complete answer.
turbomike15

Re: Changing Izhmash 7-3 trigger reach to be like 7-4

Post by turbomike15 »

Have you called Mark at Altius?
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

I tried, but Mark has not answered my phone call or email. He does not seem interested in my potential business.
Krenovian

Post by Krenovian »

Its hunting season in Montana. Mark may be away from home.

Mac Tilton at MT Guns used to sell the 7-3 and 7-4 he may be able to answer your question. On a Canadian biathlon website, I don't remember which one, I saw a notice that Miramichi Biathletes Inc. was importing Izhmash rifles through Larsen. Someone there may be able to help or try contacting Larsen directly. RWC Group LLC would be another potential source for the answer to your question.

CJ
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

Thanks for your suggestions on who to contact. I'll report the answer back here if I am successful in getting one.

Hunting season can't be blamed for waiting weeks for a reply from Altius.
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

try this link. lots of information I haven't combed through. I think one or two of the guys might be active on here to...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=265727
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

My friend Dave Anana took the attached picture which shows the 7-4 (left) and 7-3 (right) triggers side by side. Now I would like to find out if the trigger blade part can be replaced by me or a gunsmith, and if the 7-4 trigger blade part is available in the US.

Dave imports Bear stocks and is selling me one to replace the original Izhmash one. The Bear stock is real nice and after checking it out last season, I know it will improve my rifle fit in a number of ways, especially in the pistol grip and the lift in front of the trigger guard for standing shooting.
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

My friend Dave Anana took the attached picture which shows the 7-4 (left) and 7-3 (right) triggers side by side.
I don't see any attached photos...
Dave imports Bear stocks and is selling me one to replace the original Izhmash one. The Bear stock is real nice and after checking it out last season, I know it will improve my rifle fit in a number of ways, especially in the pistol grip and the lift in front of the trigger guard for standing shooting.
I have the same setup, 7-3 with a Bear stock. Shoots pretty good.

good luck
pcw

Post by pcw »

Is your friend importing the Bear stocks into Canada or the US? If it is the US can you provide us with contact info?
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

Sorry about the lack of picture in the previous post. I didn't realize that attachments weren't allowed. Here it is via another website. 7-4 on the left, 7-3 on the right. Notice the 7-3 is curved back quite a bit.

Thanks to Dave Anana for providing it. Dave says I should be able to make the change myself and he is going to look into part availability for the 7-4 trigger.

Dave is importing Bear stocks into the US. His email address is dave.anana@comcast.net. A local boy done good, Casey Smith, is using a Bear stock (with Anschutz action) and will be competing at the IBU Cup level, just below World Cup, this season.
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

I got the Bear M1a stock today for my Izhmash RH rifle. I think it looks beautiful and it feels great in my hands--especially for standing! I can't wait to fully fit it.

The trigger is basically in the middle of the trigger guard opening. This is with the trigger set as far forward as possible. With winter gloves on, I wouldn't want it any further forward. I might still replace it with the straighter 7-4 blade if it's not too costly a change.

I hope to replace the original Russian military sling that I got with my Izhmash with something nicer soon. I haven't yet mounted my Altius harness because the holes in the stock for the harness cords are a little too small and need to be reamed out--the Altius bungee cords are slightly bigger.

This is the kind of new toy that inspires dry firing practice . . .
Krenovian

Post by Krenovian »

Congratulations! Those are beautiful stocks.

CJ
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

A final entry on my rifle setup. I got a straight trigger blade and nicer sling and rear blinder from Altius Firearms, and have done the major fitting adjustments, including lengthening the stock. It feels real good in both positions, and my standing position is much more stable. Now it's time to get back to trying to improve my technique. --Scott

turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

Nice looking gun! How does it group?
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

It groups well, including in cold temperatures. The barrel is Larsen. I'm not clear how it's different from the standard Izhmash one, but it is. Poor performance in cold is the one functional bad rap I've heard against Izhmash, but this rifle solves that problem. I like the bolting action and of course it's far less expensive than Anschutz.
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

Scott W wrote:It groups well, including in cold temperatures. The barrel is Larsen. I'm not clear how it's different from the standard Izhmash one, but it is. Poor performance in cold is the one functional bad rap I've heard against Izhmash, but this rifle solves that problem. I like the bolting action and of course it's far less expensive than Anschutz.

What size groups? What ammo?
Scott W

Post by Scott W »

My shooting isn't good enough to warrant talking about group sizes or the difference ammo might make. All I can say is that my best groups are similar in size to what others get at my club range.