summer practice

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

pcw

summer practice

Post by pcw »

I'm looking for summer exercises for biathlon practice. I have a friend who live on a road thats very accommodating for roller skiing and he has a small range set up there, but I'm looking for some things I could do at my local range. I thought of jumping rope for a proscribed time and then doing shooting drills. Any other ideas?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Is your range secure, lockable? Or is there a range master that can watch your rifle while you're out raising your heartbeat!

You might try a kickbike... cross between a bike and a scooter...invented by a Dane for summer nordic training. Kick or skate on one side for several reps, then switch feet and do the other. I am an alpine ski patroller during the weekends, and use the kickbike for weekday training. They are cheap, fun, handy..... you could take one to the range, set up your firing line, go out and kickbike 500 meters or so, come back in and fire ten shots, and then repeat.....

crasher

Post by crasher »

I'll usually go with another person so we can rotate through. If I'm on my own, I'll focus on shooting drills. I'm fortunate enough where I can have an entire range to myself and will practice harness transitions for prone and standing.
RonBott

Post by RonBott »

You'll want to structure your shooting training somewhat like your aerobic training. For our juniors typically we start up again in late May or early June. We spend the first few months working exclusively on building accuracy. We shoot a lot on paper targets during this time, as it gives better feedback than shooting on metal. Later in the summer we begin to focus more on range procedure and start to introduce "combo" drills, which incorporates running and shooting. As we get later in the fall the number of combo training sessions increases. Whatever you decide, keep some kind of notebook log of your range sessions, with some kind of measurables. This way you can track your improvements. Good luck!
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

RonBott,
What paper target shooting drills do you do? As we approach the end of winter I'd like to work on my prone accuracy.
Thanks
MR
turbomike15

bump

Post by turbomike15 »

RonBott,
Any input on this?
thanks
MR
RonBott

Post by RonBott »

Here is a good place to start:

http://minnesotabiathlon.com/2011/06/sh ... protocols/

The key is to use some drills or tests that are repeatable and you can track the results. Paper is good for this. Don't spend the off- season practicing with no idea if you are actually getting better. Keep a shooting log of your training so you can see the scores from previous sessions.

Break down the shooting process and focus on certain aspects, then put it all together as the season approaches. There is a direct correlation between becoming a more accurate shooter and the number of targets you can hit in a race. I always shake my head when I see athletes practicing combo drills on metal 12 months of the year and are frustrated with their results. If you can't hit a high percentage with a resting heart rate, you sure as heck won't with an elevated heart rate.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions.
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

RonBott,
I opened Bill's Coach's Manual last night and found these (I haven't looked at it in quite a while). This is a great reference with more detailed descriptions. I guess all the metal TH/RP combo's I've been doing should be complimented with shooting more paper! Thanks for the input.

MR
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Why don't you guys shoot 50 meter small bore with the NRA 50 meter target this summer. This is a tough target with a dime covering the X and 10 ring. It is a 3P target, but just shoot it in Prone and Standing. Use your Biathlon rifles. You really need the attention of a rifle coach to instill good habits early in your spring / summer practice. My son's coach might be enticed into doing this, as he has entertained thoughts of getting into Biathlon himself. I will broach the subject to him tomorrow at the State 3P indoor Championship tomorrow at the Kenosha range. Travis and I are working the match, and Travis will shoot Sunday. Drop me a message, if you are interested.
Chris