Izhmash Action Question

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

ibleic

Izhmash Action Question

Post by ibleic »

What is the difference between the Izhmash 7-2 barreled action and the 7-3/4? Could I drop the 7-2 barreled action into an Izhmash 7-4 stock to build a biathlon rifle? Is it even possible geometrically and, if so, what would be the performance implications?
cordillera

Izhmash

Post by cordillera »

I have never seen a 7 2 and I'd guess most people on this forum haven't either as they are not common on biathlon sites. However from some research I did a purple years ago they appear to be the identical action. However by the time you add sights, making a 7 2 into a biathlon rifle will cost as much or more than just buying a 7 4 ready to go.

I heard a rumour yesterday izhmash are hard to find this year in canada. They were recently renamed Kalashnikov concern.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Ibleic,
The 7.2 or Biathlon Basic has a different heavier barrel and different trigger group. The barrel mikes .750 at the muzzle so I put a collar and 8" bloop tube on my sons rifle. Bloop tube is drilled and tapped for a sight mount. I put a sight mount with 2 different heights. Easier for getting things aligned. The famed Ismash poor cold shooting performance in the 7-3's and 4's did not show up in the 7-2 barrel. I bought a broken 7-3 stock from Mark at Altius, hogged out the barrel channel and bedded the action and the first 2" of the barrel with Kevlar bedding compound. I had an old Redfield Olympic sight set, side mount and I machined a block of aluminum that fit over and under the weaver base that came with the rifle. Two set screws on top push down on the weaver base and lock down the block Drilled and tapped the side mount and attached the sight. The trigger blade that I bought from Altius is a straight one versus the curved 7-2 trigger. The M1 Garand style safety on the 7-2 has to come out and the safety slide epoxyed in the fire position. I payed $275.00 for the rifle, $110.00 for the stock and trigger. I epoxyed up the cracked stock. I figure I have $600.00 in the gun, but it will shoot better than any 7-3 or 4 in the cold weather. I bought the harness,magazine rack, cuff sling, ect from Altius which is included in the price
If you were to buy a 7-4, you would have to rebarrel it with a Krieger, or other barrel. The factory barrel shoots terrible at +5* F or below. My 7-2 barrel shoots .30 inch groups at 50 meters with R-50. It is as accurate as a 1907 Anschutz. Lot of work, but not a wallet burner. Sorry for the long post
Chris
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

Levergun59,

What is the difference between the 7-2 barrel and the 7-3/4 barrel? Maybe you got lucky and got a 'shooter'. I talked to Mark at Altius and he said the 7-3/4 barrel's can shoot well under 5F with a lap job. I have found my stock Izh 7-3 barrel is good to ~10 F but haven't shot it much below -5F and I think the shooter was to blame in those conditions ;) I see you are in WI, do you compete at WI Biathlon Cup events? I'd like to take a look at your rifle.

MR
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Mike,
The Biathlon Basic is a heavier barrel than the 7-3 or 7-4. Check your muzzle. Mine mics .750 at the end. My son has not competed in a couple of years. He is on the Burlington cross country ski club and is skiing really well this year. He is going to do the lopet next week at the Birkie. He shoots rifle really well and has finished as high as 2nd in the State in 4P smallbore. When he gets faster at skiing, you will see him back at the Biathlon Championships. Send me a message and we will see if we can get together. My son is booked solid till the middle of April with rifle tournaments.
Chris
Levergun59

Re: Izhmash Action Question

Post by Levergun59 »

The curved trigger assembly of a 7.2 will not fit in the stock trigger cut in the stock of a 7.3. You need a straight trigger from a 7.3 and attach it to the 7.2 trigger assembly. The 7.2 garand style safety will not fit the 7.3 stock and has to be discarded. The 7.2 has a thicker barrel than the 7.3 or 7.4
turbomike15

Post by turbomike15 »

ibleic wrote:What is the difference between the Izhmash 7-2 barreled action and the 7-3/4? Could I drop the 7-2 barreled action into an Izhmash 7-4 stock to build a biathlon rifle? Is it even possible geometrically and, if so, what would be the performance implications?
quite the delayed response Chris. You guys planning on making it down to the race at McMiller next weekend?

MR
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Mike, my Biathlete is now in the U.S. Army boot camp, combat infantry at Fort Benning Georgia. After that is jump school and then sniper training if he makes it through. He knows a couple of gents in the AMU, but has not told anybody squat about his shooting ability or his biathlon prowess. He intends to blow them away on the range, shooting whatever style they want him to shoot. Usually the AMU shows up to help out if they are around, so he might be recognized. Ought to be interesting. Last year all he did was ski all winter with the Burlington HS cross country ski club to improve the weak part of his Biathlon game. He really got fast after 4 months of skiing 5 nights a week, going to the State Championship and skiing the Loppet at the Birkenbeiner. I would like to show up at the festival to help you out if I have the time. Hope to see you there.
Chris