How to sell your item. Pictures sell it faster!

Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
Feel free to post for sale items as long as they are directly related to International type shooting
If you sell something, we would very much appreciate a donation of $5-10 either mailed to us or paypalled to us.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NetNinja

How to sell your item. Pictures sell it faster!

Post by NetNinja »

(I would suggest you read the discalimers on all image sites, in some cases the images you upload to some of these sites can be used in whatever manner the site wishes.)

I wanted to create this post to give people some idea on how to post pics in forums. I like clicking on a post to see an image of what is being sold.
Posts with no images are boring.
This works for every forum. The procedure is the same. Pictures take up a lot of hard drive space and lot of forums don't like being repositories for pictures.
To post pics use a free image hosting website.
There are dozzens of them from Flicker, imageshack, Google picasa and my new favorite http://postimg.org/

A picture is worth a thousand words and a thousand less emails of questions.

1. Take a picture, in fact take several pics. The more you have the better. Take detailed pics of anything unusual, scratches, features or additional items. In fact see if you can set your camera to take the highest resolution it can. Remember to set it back because high resolution images take up a lot of memory on your SD card. Some people don’t know this.
White backgrounds work best. If the item is larger use a white sheet and smooth it out. Keep non subject matter out of the pics.
No pets or cute kids ;)

2.Create a folder on your computer desktop and label it what it is going to contain, it becomes helpful later when you need to move/copy pictures you have taken from your camera or cell phone to your labled folder.
screen capture windows

3. No need to crop your images in this image hosting website (http://postimg.org/) . They add a niffty button called 640x480 (for message boards)
They automagically resize your pics for you!

4.If you are uploading one pic just use the Select Files to upload and click on the browse button.
Select Resize 640x480 (for message boards)
Select FAMILY safe radio button
Double click the file you want to upload
free upload

5.If you have multiple pics create a gallery.
Click on the down arrow next to Gallery.
Select Create New Gallery
taking a screen shot

6.In this instance select all the pics in your folder to upload.
Resize the images for 640x480 (For message boards)
Click on Family safe
Click on the Upload It! button.
free image hosting

7.Upload completed!
screen capture windows 7

8.Notice the drop down box to arrange the pics. You can get fancy with displaying the pics in Columns and lines.
download screenshot

9.Notice the URL codes. highlight the code and copy and paste to your post on Targettalk.
Ctrl C to Copy
Ctrl P to paste
free image hosting

10. Now create your for sale post. Be concise and accurate in the subject line. i.e
WTS (want to sell) S&W 1911
WTB (want to buy) S&W 1911.

11. Always Preview your post to see if all your images are being loaded and your description is correct.

12. When your item sells, tell the webmaster to remove it.

13. Send me 1$ for every item you sell. I need a new Anschutz. :)

The pictures were taken with a cheap GE E1030 and the screenshots were taken using the Print Screen button on my keyboard and edited with Paint. No magic just simple editing and using the tools that are free.
I hope this helps. I want to see more pictures!

Image Image Image Image Image
free image host
Last edited by NetNinja on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Thank you for an excellent post, NetNinja.

Mods: sticky this, perhaps?
rmca

Post by rmca »

Good job NetNinja!

+1 for the sticky vote.
NetNinja

Bump Time!

Post by NetNinja »

I bump myself therefore I am here!
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

It still amazes me to see for sale posts without pictures, or worse, with the phrase "email me for pics".
natdscott

Post by natdscott »

I'll offer $200 for the pistol, provided you pay shipping. Please let me know how you would like to receive payment via a PM and we can work out the particulars.

-Nate
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

natdscott wrote:I'll offer $200 for the pistol, provided you pay shipping. Please let me know how you would like to receive payment via a PM and we can work out the particulars.

-Nate
Lack of smiley makes me question if that's a joke or not...
Orion

Post by Orion »

natdscott wrote:I'll offer $200 for the pistol, provided you pay shipping. Please let me know how you would like to receive payment via a PM and we can work out the particulars.

-Nate
I'll give you $225, shipping included. I also have vintage shooting stickers for trade.
Richathome

Images To Large

Post by Richathome »

Ninja, now that your post has been made a Sticky can you tell all of us that need help how to post pictures that are edited to the proper size so that when they appear they do not blow up the window so we do not have to scroll across to read a full line or to see the entire picture. If you edited your great tutorial to proper size that would make it much easier to see, read and understand.

Thanks, I know you can do this so how about telling the me and others that need to know how to do it. Show and tells are great.

Thanks, Rich
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

Small pictures aren't always a good thing.
NetNinja

Not a problem

Post by NetNinja »

There is a drop down box that will resize your images.
Not many image hosting sites have that feature but the one I used in my example will resize them.
Jonty

Resizing photos

Post by Jonty »

Hell, Thats complicated.

Google 'Light Image resizer 4' This will open a site, click for the FREE option and follow the easy instructions. You will end up with a copy of your original photo.

When on TT or any other site, click browse and find your copy photo, and double click and it will show on the site. SIMPLES.

Jonty
NetNinja

Awesome

Post by NetNinja »

Nice. I will check that out. In the world of technology there are things that are simplier, cheaper and faster.

I will look into that.

One thing I have learned being in IT is, there always seems to be a tool or an App that does things better and it's been out there for years. :)
chithendr
Banned

Re: How to sell your item. Pictures sell it faster!

Post by chithendr »

I also think you should make your tutorial to proper size that would make it much easier to see, read and understand.
User blocked by moderator due to a "questionable" sales post, which has been retained for reference, but locked.
randy5863

Post by randy5863 »

I am building a 52 Winchester prone rifle and would like to know if anyone out there could send me some pictures of the butt stock cheek piece operation. I would some how like to see pictures of the inside top and bottom opened thank u. u can e-mail me at dawnschleith@yahoo .com
Brent Maggard

Post by Brent Maggard »

Thanks for your post. It helped me get my picture uploaded.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

It would help you sell if you came back and checked your listing or PM’s too! Not to be snarky but what good is listing something and never replying to inquires about it?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi NetNinja, thanks for the OP. I was able to follow the PostImage prompts OK but note that your OP probably needs some of the screen shots you took to be re-posted to keep the OP up-to-date.

Bob
prowling

Post by prowling »

This pinned post needs to be removed and replaced with one that has functioning screenshots, and references an existing image host site ... the one given as the OP's choice is 404.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

How does one post the words SOLD on an ad when the item is sold?