Trigger gloves?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

HannahGary

Trigger gloves?

Post by HannahGary »

I was wondering what kind of gloves could be used for trigger gloves. Do they have to be "qualified" or whatever or can you just get a pair of something like cycling gloves at Walmart?
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

I don't see a lot of shooters using gloves on the "trigger" hand. Most precision air rifles have a very light trigger and a glove could interfere with the feel of the trigger.

If you want to use one though, you might try a football recievers glove. Available at places like Academy Sports. They are very thin and form fitting and the inside of the palm and fingers are covered with a thin rubber that is very "sticky". This might aid in having a relaxed grip without worrying about your hand slipping. You could try it and even cut the finger tip out of the trigger finger portion so you don't lose any sensitivity.
HannahGary

Post by HannahGary »

rmarsh wrote:I don't see a lot of shooters using gloves on the "trigger" hand. Most precision air rifles have a very light trigger and a glove could interfere with the feel of the trigger.

If you want to use one though, you might try a football recievers glove. Available at places like Academy Sports. They are very thin and form fitting and the inside of the palm and fingers are covered with a thin rubber that is very "sticky". This might aid in having a relaxed grip without worrying about your hand slipping. You could try it and even cut the finger tip out of the trigger finger portion so you don't lose any sensitivity.
Well I was looking at some today and I found a pair of weightlifting gloves that was fingerless and didn't have a strap around the wrist cause I know they're not permitted. And they did have rubber grips on the palm and I thought they were perfect. I just didn't know if I would be able to use them cause they aren't for shooting
parentoftwoshooters

Post by parentoftwoshooters »

both of my kids use a Sauer glove made for the trigger finger hand. My daughter shot a 8 at Nationals once cause her hand was sweating and slipped. That hasnt happened since using the glove. I see more and more kids using gloves.
justadude

Post by justadude »

So far I have not seen any specific ISSF/USAS rules regulating a glove on the trigger hand. As they gain popularity they will likely become regulated, but that is speculation on my part.

As discussed, they should be fingerless or at least the trigger finger needs to be fingerless and the material needs to be relatively thin so the hand has a good sense of touch to connect with the pistol grip.

A mentioned Sauer makes one, there may be others. If you watch clips of the World Cup finals you do see more shooters showing up wearing them. They do help in situations on warm ranges if your palms get sweaty and slip on the grip a bit. Are they essential? No. Grip tape for a tennis racquet or tape as used on a hockey stick applied to the pistol grip can achieve the same purpose.

Are there gloves from other sports that would work? I expect so but have no recommendations.

I will also point out that Sauer is rather proud of their trigger hand gloves as they sell for $35 or so and there isn't much to them. If you are having trouble with your hand slipping then one might be helpful but they are hardly an essential piece of equipment.

Cheers,
'Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Trigger gloves help some people, or they think they do, but still only a minority of world level shooters use them. I'd be surprised if many more haven't tried them and presumably found them to be of no benefit to them.

Rob.
Ans2013

Trigger gloves

Post by Ans2013 »

If you suffer from sweaty hands, some do, some don't the purpose made trigger hand gloves are effective but expensive. A golf glove is a good substitute & they are a much cheaper alternative.

If you are shooting under ISSF rules remember that for air rifles
"material that gives increased grip MAY NOT be added to the forend, PISTOL GRIP or lower part of the stock" so grip tape or similar material will render your rifle illegal.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Ans2013 is referring to:

ISSF/USAS rule 7.4.2.5 which reads:
Material that gives increased grip may not be added to the forend, pistol grip or lower part of the stock.
This is generally construed as meaning something that is actively sticky, not something that simply changes the texture of the grip.

I have taken rifles through equipment control at Ft. Benning with the grip covered in a layer of white cloth athletic tape, not sticky but better friction.

'Dude
EJ

Post by EJ »

About rules for the trigger hand glove: I've always assumed they are the same as for the normal glove with the important one being no adjusted fit around the wrist (velcro etc).

Personally I think a standard golf glove works really well, thin and well-fitting. Just cut off the trigger finger for contact.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

FYI golf gloves.
A RH golfer will wear a glove on his left hand.
A LH golfer will wear a glove on his right hand.

So if you shoot RH, you need a glove for a LH golfer, which while available, is not as plentiful as a glove for a RH golfer. So if you are not a mens Med or Large, you may have trouble finding one to fit.

For once, the LH shooters get the best end of the situation.
GTFS

Post by GTFS »

I use a golf glove. works great. only get about 2 seasons out of them befor they fray around the cut to much, I cut off the end of the trigger finger and the thumb so its easy to pick up the next round. also they are very good for when its very cold not just for grip.

I am thinking 10 what are you thinking?

Glen Turner
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

My son uses a Under Armor glove and cut the trigger finger off, he says he has a better feel of the rifle.