Hammerli 208 trigger adjustment

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

Hi all,

I had previously posted on the Hammerli 208 International that I had picked up recently. Well I've been traveling so I'm just now having some time to work with it. One of the things I noticed is that the trigger was just over 3 lbs, around 3.25. Since I plan on using this for Bullseye and ISSF matches, I'd like to get it down to 2.2lbs. Looking at the instructions on Pilkguns I tried to adjust the screw in the trigger, but that seemed to have no real impact on trigger weight. I know they made several types of triggers for the 208, and I also see that mine has a screw on the left side of the frame above the trigger (see the screw w/red dot in pic). Does that have an impact on trigger weight, or is there something else I should be looking at? Any info would be great, thanks!

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

thanks. I looked at that previously and unfortunately it has the same generic info from the manual. No discussion or description of that screw or diagnosing trigger issues.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Here ya go this should help you.

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/sph208s.htm
TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

Thanks but that's for the later model 208s. I wish I had that trigger group!
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

That screw is supposed to increase the pull from 1000 grams to 1360 grams to facilitate training for ISSF Center Fire.

Never tried mine so I don't know how well it works.
TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

I thought that might be what it did but I wasn't sure. None of the manuals online describe it. So the question is what's the correct location for the screw since mine is in the CF setting? I assume yours is correct, if you don't mind me asking what location is it in?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

TheFaz wrote:I thought that might be what it did but I wasn't sure. None of the manuals online describe it. So the question is what's the correct location for the screw since mine is in the CF setting? I assume yours is correct, if you don't mind me asking what location is it in?
I had Larry Carter tune it up and never touched it myself.
TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

I would do that, but I've called and emailed Larry and gotten no response. I'm sure he's busy these days so I'm not upset, but since I have two weeks of shooting coming up in Arizona I wanted to get it adjusted before heading down there.
J

Side screw

Post by J »

The side screw really is just a coarse adjustment for the trigger pull weight, which can be used as a quick change device if desired (and was the reason it was added). The "correct" position is with the red dot on the screw aligned with the dot on the frame. However, it also needs to be at the current number of turns to be at the right weight, and the screw on the trigger needs to be correct.

The best option might be to turn it one complete turn at a time (with red dots aligned at the end) until the trigger pull is in the desired range, and then use the screw on the trigger as the fine adjustment. It is hard to tell from the picture if the matching dot on the screw is there or gone. If gone, just use the groove on the screw as the guide or alignment mark.

When making changes, don't forget which direction you are turning it, and how many turns. That way, if you've gone in the wrong directly, you can at least return to where you are now. With a trigger pull at about 1500 grams+, it sounds like it either has been rotated the 1360 gram setting and then another turn (if the red dots are aligned .... 1360 grams is 3.0 lbs), or there is another problem with the trigger.

The high trigger pull may also be due to insufficient or improper lubrication, and not due to a problem with the adjuster.
fichmant

Post by fichmant »

if you would look at your trigger you will see a hole, then look at your trigger gurd you will see anther hole, now look through both of this holes and you will see a screw, i think its the one you are looking for.
TheFaz

Post by TheFaz »

Well there is no hole in the trigger guard, again it's not a 208s. J, thanks for the info. Having gotten no response from Larry I went ahead and adjusted a few of the screws to include the red one and after a bit of messing around I ended up getting it down to just over 2 lbs. I'd prefer to have Larry do it to ensure it's right, but this will work for now.
J

trigger guard hole

Post by J »

Good to hear it worked. The one thing to be careful about is the lubrication. If the trigger "stiffens" between the 1st and 10th or 20th shot, lubrication is needed. The hole in the trigger guard was added around sn 208xxx

The older guns do not have one, unless you have a Hammerli with a wormhole (Einstein-Rosen bridge) or quantum tunnel effect. Those are pretty rare, and usually kept close at hand by designers of quantum singularity weapons or devout Trekkies living in Andorra.

Most prefer MoS2 lubricant for sear and trigger lubricant, but watch oil also works well because it is very adhesive to the metal and stays on with repeated use, especially in surfaces under high pressure like the sear contact zone. However, it also is more expensive.

The S model trigger adjustment is different from the older or original 208 series.