What reddot did Zins use at Perry?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

jabberwo

What reddot did Zins use at Perry?

Post by jabberwo »

Hi,

Anyone know what was mounted on his Cabot 1911? I'm in the market for one and whatever Zins was using deserves some consideration.

thanks,
Jab
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Brian uses an Aimpoint Micro R1. That particular model, looks like stainless, isn't available any longer. But, you can get an H1 which is identical except for the finish.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I saw Brian's guns at Canton. It looked like his micro had a custom modification. He had an extension tube on both the front and the back which probably had to be machined to fit. This would help keep both the sun and the rain off the actual lenses, which as far as I know is the only flaw in the aimpoint, other than the price...:-)
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Isabel1130 wrote:...the only flaw in the aimpoint, other than the price...:-)
Actually, those no-longer-available silver-colored ones overcame that objection. When that finish was dropped, MidwayUSA bought them all and retailed them for $300 apiece.

Apparently that silver finish was just ridiculously unpopular. Even today, questions pop up on AR-15 forums asking how to get them refinished in black or camo or anything but silver. Silver just isn't tacti-cool.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

BenEnglishTX wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:...the only flaw in the aimpoint, other than the price...:-)
Actually, those no-longer-available silver-colored ones overcame that objection. When that finish was dropped, MidwayUSA bought them all and retailed them for $300 apiece.

Apparently that silver finish was just ridiculously unpopular. Even today, questions pop up on AR-15 forums asking how to get them refinished in black or camo or anything but silver. Silver just isn't tacti-cool.
I wasnt aware that the silver finish was the objection. I have two of the black ones. Pricy little devils but maybe worth it for a high master.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Steve Reiter refered me to Fred Totts, where I purchased my beefy mount for my H1.

Fred makes the mounts and I believe the sun shades/ rain guards or whatever you want to call them also.

Clarence
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

C. Perkins wrote:Steve Reiter refered me to Fred Totts, where I purchased my beefy mount for my H1.

Fred makes the mounts and I believe the sun shades/ rain guards or whatever you want to call them also.

Clarence
Fred is who Brian uses also. He makes a great steel mount and can press fit the shades on also. The shades mainly aid in keeping combustion remnants and oils off the lens.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Here's an R-1 that's been adapted to a fabricated low mount base, and inlaid into an Al Marvel rib. Very low, compact, and sturdy.. The extension tubes are threaded internally to allow the use of filters.. A most on bright sunny days..
The Micro is pricey, and hurts when you buy it, but what a dot sight !!! ..I believe this is presently the ultimate set up for a slide mount..Frame mounts are actually slightly lower to the bore line.
JerryImage
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Jerry Keefer wrote:Here's an R-1 that's been adapted to a fabricated low mount base, and inlaid into an Al Marvel rib. Very low, compact, and sturdy.. The extension tubes are threaded internally to allow the use of filters.. A most on bright sunny days..
The Micro is pricey, and hurts when you buy it, but what a dot sight !!! ..I believe this is presently the ultimate set up for a slide mount..Frame mounts are actually slightly lower to the bore line.
JerryImage
Sweet! Jerry, are you selling those?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

No...I make them on an individual basis.
David Sams and I worked on designing the frame mounts together.. It is just as unique. I have photos somewhere, I'll try to post them later..Anyway, David has geared up to CNC and is producing the frame mount. I agree with Dave, that the frame mount is really the way to go...Makes tuning the gun so much more versatile..
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Keefer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Jerry Keefer wrote:I agree with Dave, that the frame mount is really the way to go
I'm totally a newbie -- I'm asking questions so I can buy/order my first dedicated bullseye 45 -- so I guess it was a rookie mistake to think the repeatability of alignment of POI and POA was higher on a slide mounted sight. If frame mount is the way to go for us normal folks with realistic budgets (i.e. we aren't Zins with $6K+ pistols and free ammo), what frame mount is considered best?

cheers,
Jab
Last edited by jabberwo on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Jab
If you can, try both before you decide..Some shooters are locked in on the slide mount, as was I.. A female shooter with severe tendonitis, is the reason this frame mount was developed.. I am sold on it now...The gun is a little dirty from a year of heavy shooting. The slide has been lightened, and some clearance cutting in the trigger guard area is evident. Notice the distant from the slide to the scope body.. This is the prototype gun, and future set ups will be slightly lower. A project in constant flux..:)
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

I shot next to Jim Henderson this past weekend and he had a mount that looked like this on his 1911 with a aimpoint. Is this mount available for sale from you Jerry or from Sams?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Gunrunner, I know that Sams sells these mounts. The problem is that there is a plate on the frame that the mount screws into with three torx screws. You either need a very competent machinist gunsmith to put that plate on, and attach the mount or you will need to send your gun to David Sams, or Jerry Keefer to do it for you.
I am extremely satisfied with my frame mounts on my David Sams guns. Unless I let the gun get very dirty, or screw up my reloading, I literally "never" have an alabi.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Isabel1130 wrote:Gunrunner, there is a plate on the frame to send your gun to David Sams, or Jerry Keefer to do it for you.
As Isabel says. The "plate" or foundation, is installed at a one degree angle, to compliment the barrel lock up. It is attached with two screws, and then, silver soldered. It is super solid. The factory dust cover alone, is not strong enough or thick enough, to support a frame mount. Gun runner, I am not sure about Mr. Henderson's mount.. There is only two sources of the mounts pictured. I didn't do it, so Dave probably did. The side plates are Dave's design, and were used in the AMU with Ultra Dots and Aimpoints.. The Micro has a weak base, and mounts too high in stock configuration. Joe Chang asked me to figure out a way to mount the Micro, and do away with the base. Hence the very low slide mount pictured.. I sponsor a lady shooter who sufered severe tendonitis, hence the frame mount. I talked with Dave, and he gave me his side plates to experiment with, and I came up with a Micro base for it. Dave is manufacturing a version of that. I did not like the Micro at first.. No extension tubes, made it hard to find the dot as the gun is raised. The extensions were born from that, and improved with threading for filters.. Micros have been installed on Marvel Conversions, 41's, Pardinis and Hammerlis.. utilizing the low mount bases..
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Keefer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eck

Post by Eck »

Can someone PM me with some contact information for Fred? I'd like some of those shades for my sight.

Thanks in advance!

John
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

I belong to Canton-McKinley and shoot with Fred. He's OK'd me to post his contact information.

Phone- 330-620-8246
email- ftotts(at)neo.rr.com

He's a great guy who's helped me a bunch and has done a wonderful job
with our juniors!
JLK
Last edited by JohnLK on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the kind words. I am the guy that makes the mounts and tubes that Brian uses. Please contact me directly for further details, I see someone has been kind enough to post my contact info, it is correct. I WILL NOT discuss prices or other details on this forum, I feel it is not the proper place. I will also say that Jerry does one hell of a job building lo mount for the Aimpoint Micro's along with a fine pistol to put under it. I will post pictures if someone will be kind enough to tell me how to attach a file

Shoot Straight
Fred T
Chris

Post by Chris »

Can you post a photo of the opposite side of the slid mount base please?
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Chris wrote:Can you post a photo of the opposite side of the slid mount base please?
Here you go Chris.....