noob rifle suggestion: for service rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lord1234

noob rifle suggestion: for service rifle?

Post by lord1234 »

I'm looking to practice at home using an air rifle for Service Rifle competition on an NRA/CMP course(so think 200/300/600 standing offhand/sitting/prone). Can anyone suggest a rifle other then the NMAR that has post sights/similarity to the AR15 service rifle?

I've seen Pilk's website on the BF17, but it seems it has not been updated since 2009....was there every any progress made on it?
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Are you aware of the AiR-15 rifle from Creedmoor Sports? This is the defacto rifle for practicing service rifle shooting indoors:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/pr ... 558&page=1
lord1234

Post by lord1234 »

thanks, thats the NMAR which i referenced above.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Hello lord1234. I shoot a lot of different disciplines and service rifle is one of them. Don't get wrapped around the axle about getting an air rifle with exact AR type sights. Get any competition air rifle (a good one, the used pneumatics are being sold at nice prices these days due to everyone wanting pre compressed) and set up a range in your cellar and practice offhand with the air rifle. I compete in air rifle as well as service rifle, smallbore 3P & 4P and black powder cartridge target position and I can see on the target right away the difference of when I have been shooting a lot of air rifle and when I have not. If you think its necessary you can get post inserts for many of the front globe sights but I never saw a problem with crossing over.

Big thing is get a good air rifle, practice a lot and you will be way up the ladder next service rifle season as your offhand scores will be much higher than most. Just my opinion of course.

BTW, my NM AR-15 is balanced pretty nice but the black powder rifle is like trying to hold the Empire State building out by the spire and the air rifle shooting makes a BIG difference for me in both. HTH
lord1234

Post by lord1234 »

thanks. Can you suggest a "good" air rifle. I honestly have no idea what to look at other then say "ok i can spend a lot of money"....where is my best bang for buck gonna be?
Rover

Post by Rover »

The old Walther LGR was a world-beater in its time. For low price and top accuracy plus easy maintenance, it's what I'd look for in the Buy and Sell section. Post a wanted.

A used ratty one will still shoot excellent scores and suit your purpose.
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

My favorite before I got my Walther pre compressed was the good ol RWS 75. I still have it and had it rebuilt recently and it shoots just as well as my Walther. In fact I loaned it a year or two ago to a friend and he beat me with it, ^&*(&^^( LOL.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
redial

Post by redial »

Just about any decent or better rifle will satisfy those needs. There are many FWB 300's or similar single-stroke pneumatics available at reasonable prices.

I scored a ANIB Gamo 126 for $99 a few years ago because "it ain't powerful enough to kill a gopher" according to the owner. The Gamo isn't top shelf equipment but it keeps me shooting all winter long.

My two cents

Mark
1813Anschutz

Post by 1813Anschutz »

The RWS 75 & 100 were great guns, FWB 300/600/601's are fabulous, the older Anschutz 380 would serve you well indeed. Feed them good quality pellets and then shoot the heck out of them....it WILL reward you well!
Randy