Full size, or jr size,,, what would you recommend

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RMXMAN34

Full size, or jr size,,, what would you recommend

Post by RMXMAN34 »

I am trying to make a decision on buying a AR and would like some imput from experienced shooters. I would like to buy a rifle that I can practice position with, but also teach my kids how to shoot as well. I don't have to have a allout comp gun, but wouldn't mind it either. There are no local matches to compete in, but you never know when there might be. My question is, Can I get by with buying a "jr" model for my kids, but using it for myself in competition as well (if the chance comes up)? I am considering a FWB or ANS, but am open to anything that might serve duel perpose. Does this sound alright, or will I have to have 2 rifles? By the way, my kids are 5, and 14.
thanks, Jon in AR
AlaskaKate

jr rifles

Post by AlaskaKate »

your 14 yearold...depending on his or her size could probably use a full sized rifle, I started on a full sized at 13or 14. Basically if he or she is above about 5'4" it is probably even better for them to have a full sized as opposed to a junior. Also a junior would be too big for your 5 yearold. Additionally, upgrading a junior to a full sized is not a quick process. My advice is go for a full sized rifle with easily adjustable weights. The Hammerli is a good example of this. The weights are external making them easy to play with. Also, if I remember correctly, it has a shorter stock so that a medium sized shooter could also use it.

Hope I helped!
Katy
RMXMAN34

my situation

Post by RMXMAN34 »

Thanks Katy, and yes it does help.
Let me explain my situation a little better. First of all, there are no air gun competitions in the local area (Fayetteville, AR), but I do think there is some limited interest and maybe with some coaxing, and some local help, we could get one started. You would think with Daisy air rifles being so close, we would have something like that, but NO.
My kids are HUGE, for their age. The 14 year old is 5'10' and 215 lbs. and my 5 year old is the biggest in his class at 72 lbs. and they really aren't over weight, just big. The older one is a little awkward, and football is not his sport. He likes paintball, but I would rather see him learning something a little more constructive. I shoot smallbore silhouette, and he likes to go with me, But where we live really limits him on getting to practice with a .22. And its really hard to teach him skills in one afternoon. i.e. thats where a air rifle comes in. 14 year olds don't enjoy dryfiring as much as I do. I would also like to teach him to shoot prone, and I need work on prone as well, so this is another requirement.
I shoot alot of NRA highpower, and Longrange, and am trying to make HIGH master, but until my prone scores get better, its not going to happen. (my offhand scores are usually higher than prone). I know its a position problem, and one of the ways I hope to work that out is by shooting the Air rifle every night. I know its not the same thing, but I think it will help me refine my position so that I quit loosing points out the top and bottom. Like I said, where I live, smallbore or highpower practice is not much of a option.
So what I am hoping to do, is buy the right rifle the first time if possible, which will handle the whole range of uses that I need it for.
As far as the 5 year old goes, I know he probably won't be able to shoot next week, but I was hoping the air rifle might still be worth him using in 2-3 years from now, and that was something I wanted to keep in the back of my mind.
Thanks for all the help. Jon in Arkansas
AlaskaKate

Post by AlaskaKate »

definately go with a full sized rifle. Your son wouldnt even be able to shoot an exteneded junior...it would be too light.
Have you checked into any 4 h groups in your area? Are there an in a nearby state? You could even start your own 4 H shooting club.
Pat McCoy

Full size or junior

Post by Pat McCoy »

Our juniopr club has four FWB P70 Jrs, which cover a range of shooters sizes from 4'10" and 85 pounds to 6' 2" and 190 pounds.

The basic rifle fits the small ones fine, and we add the MEC Tube extension, weights (under the air cylinder), and buttplate extensions (make em from high density plastic from any woodworking store) as needed.

Depending on your height and neck length, you may want to add sight riser blocks.

You will need either a pump, high pressure compressor, or scuba tank to fill the air cylinder. The FWB does have a front post option as well as the normal apertures, so you can practice highpower prone.
Lee Sellers

Post by Lee Sellers »

Shooting smallbore or AR will most certainly improve your highpower prone shooting, especially if your problems are elevation related and not a lack of wind reading skill. With elevation errors, the problem is one of three things: position, mechanics (trigger squeeze, breathing etc.) or sighting. The AR will help you diagnose all three.

There are two schools of thought here as to rifle type. One is to get a PCP. Any of the guns that require cocking will force you to get out of position for each shot, negatively affecting your consistency and your performance. This is particularly an issue in competition.

The other school is the flip of the first. Get a rifle requiring cocking. This will force you to rebuild you position every shot, ensuring you learn how to properly build your position each and every time. I favor this for training even though I keep the rifle in my shoulder and hold position for the entire string (talking highpower here) in competition. I shoot high master scores in prone for reference. It’s my standing (back problems, I can not do a bend or twist without pain) that keeps me from having a higher classification.

The mid-range Daisy rifles are good possibilities. They are accurate enough for feedback and training without costing a large sum. There is something to be said for the sheer elegance and experience of shooting a high-end air rifle however. I have a Walther LG210 and absolutely love the thing.

By the way, if you are shooting highpower service rifle (which forces you to use a post front sight) I would recommend you equip your AR with a post to match your highpower rifle. Many elevation errors at 600 yards can be attributed to the problems of using a post. Training with an aperture and competing with a post will create problems for you.

I would go with the full sized rifles for you and your older child. As was stated earlier, even the junior guns may be too large for you younger child and are definitely too small for you and your older child.

At least this is what works for me, I hope this helps. - Lee
TWP

Post by TWP »

14 years old should be old enough and big enough for an adult sized air rifle.

For the younger shooter get them a sporter air rifle like the Daisy 888