Considerations for the Olympic shooting base

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Misny

Post by Misny »

Bill Poole, you are right on track. It takes us! Our club has new shooter clinics often to introduce the shooting sports. Right now they focus on conventional pistol. Our club just participated in an NRA "Women On Target" that is designed to introduce women to the shooting sports. This is what I'm talking about. Let's see USAS help organize this type of thing for international. Though as you say Bill, it's really up to us. WE need to be involved and need to get parents involved. The pistol disciplines need the most help.

Kate in Alaska, I really think that formal conventional and international shooting is on the decline as a whole. Air gun is more politically correct, heck they even still allow it, with restrictions, in the UK. I'd like to see some statistics to back-up your claim. When states with large populations, like California and New York show an increase in participation in the shooting sports we will be on the upswing. You are correct that indoor range air quality is a concern where it hasn't been in the past and it is an expensive proposition to build a suitable indoor facility, but outdoor facilities have been and are avaiable for at least half of the year in most areas of the country. I have also seen that if there is a will, there is a way. If the drive is there, parents and shooting groups can raise the funds somehow to build new indoor ranges or refurbish old ones.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Misny,
glad to see your willing to take a hand in this. You are right that pistol is the weakest the discipline. As for clinics, USAS and USAMU sponsors international pistol clinics at various locations throughout the US. I see the annoucements and then the after reports on this board regularly. Want one in your area? All it takes is a phone call or two to Colorado and an assurance that you will have more than one or two warm bodies.

Also USAS just spent a bunch of money on Jr. target pistols to make available to club level, a gun that had never been seen in the US before. Has your clubs junior program taken advantage of that? Its a great deal on a great gun.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

If USAS has such a program (see pilkguns message above) of selling pistols for junior clubs it is a pretty well kept secret. I just did a search of the USAS website and found no mention of any knid of a special junior pistol. Am I missing something?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

PaulB - Contact Martin Edmonson at USAShooting regarding the Tau7 pistols for sale. We have one for inspection, and are asking FONRA for a grant to teach air pistol marksmanship in a formerly rifle only club.

CONFUSED ON KATE

Post by Guest »

That wasn't Kate that said shooting sports is on an upswing, I did. If you are waiting for CA and NY to jump on board before you see the trend then you will be waiting a long time. KA and NY will be one of the last to get onboard due to many factors. This is one where the conservative states will lead for the most part. Texas has many strong jr shooting sports going on. Also you may be looking in the wrong places. The major news sources seldom if ever will report anything positive on shooting sports. Don't bother with those sources. Heck even Rather can use forged documents and not be out of a job.

The Air gun sports will have to be the ones to lead due to substantial lower cost and readily accessable close to home places to shoot without spending a fortune on air handling systems. With the cost of energy going up rapidly heating and cooling that goes with air cleaning systems will be out of reach for most. Driving down the cost of the shooting programs is key to sucess. Air guns do this quite well. All that is needed is 10 meters plus enough room for the firing line area, a very inexpense pellet trap system and a paper target.

Pistol is in fact the least expensive to get up and running, but Pistol has a PR problem in that many simply do not believe the youth can or should use pistols well. They in fact can be both responsible and quite good pistol shots given the opportunity. Build it and they will come!

All the shooting sports are excellent for youth be it shootgun, rifle, pistol, archery. Pick one and promote it. Don't expect help from the press or any other left side of the spectrim. Matt Emmons learned to shoot in New Jersey which is about as anti-gun rights as you will find. How did he do it there? By ignoring "conventional wisdom" and getting involved. If you want to see Pistol in more places then start in your area and make it happen.
Misny wrote:Bill Poole, you are right on track. It takes us! Our club has new shooter clinics often to introduce the shooting sports. Right now they focus on conventional pistol. Our club just participated in an NRA "Women On Target" that is designed to introduce women to the shooting sports. This is what I'm talking about. Let's see USAS help organize this type of thing for international. Though as you say Bill, it's really up to us. WE need to be involved and need to get parents involved. The pistol disciplines need the most help.

Kate in Alaska, I really think that formal conventional and international shooting is on the decline as a whole. Air gun is more politically correct, heck they even still allow it, with restrictions, in the UK. I'd like to see some statistics to back-up your claim. When states with large populations, like California and New York show an increase in participation in the shooting sports we will be on the upswing. You are correct that indoor range air quality is a concern where it hasn't been in the past and it is an expensive proposition to build a suitable indoor facility, but outdoor facilities have been and are avaiable for at least half of the year in most areas of the country. I have also seen that if there is a will, there is a way. If the drive is there, parents and shooting groups can raise the funds somehow to build new indoor ranges or refurbish old ones.
A.R. JAYNES

Post by A.R. JAYNES »

SHOOTING SPORTS IS ALIVE AND WELL IN NORTHERN CA ,WE AT SUTTER UNION HIGH STARTED A RIFLE PROGRAM 3 YEARS AGO.SUTTER UNION HAS ABOUT 680 STUDENTS AND IS A RURAL AREA .THE FIRST STUDENT TO GET A D1 SCHOLARSHIP WAS A RIFLE SHOOTER ,THIS RAISED SOME EYEBROWS,WE HAVE ABOUT 40 JR SHOOTERS AND LINCOLN RIFLE HAS ABOUT 60 SHOOTERS.IN OUR SECOND YEAR CORNING HIGH STARTED A AIR RIFLE PROGRAM .THEY HAVE NOW HELP 3 MORE SCHOOLS TO ADD PROGRAMS ,JUST IN THE LAST WEEK I HAVE HAD 2 MORE SCHOOLS ASK FOR HELP TO START RIFLE TEAM.CORNING HIGH IS GOING TO HOST A BIATHLON IN NOV AND HAS 10 HIGH SCHOOL COMING TO THE EVENT .SOME OF THE SCHOOL HAVE NOT PARTICIPATED IN SHOOTING SPORTS BUT THS WILL BE A START AND YES IT WILL BE ALL SPORTER. BUT THIS IS A GOOD THING. AT OUR AIR RIFLE SEC LAST YEAR WE HAD 90 ENTRIES AND ABOUT 45 FOR THE 22 RIFLE SEC. CORNING IS NOW TALKING WITH US ON WHAT KIND OF 22 RIFLES SHOULD THEY BUY ,SO AS YOU CAN SEE I DON'T KNOW IF WE CAN DO MORE AND STILL HOLD A REAL JOB

Post by Guest »

Fantastic news! Wow even in california this is happening, this is what I meant about the lack of coverage in the mainstream press, you just can't get any positive ink on youth shooting sports or at least not much ;`) Sporter is a fine way to get em started.

The Rural youth shot anyway so it seems to be a natural extension of what they are doing.
A.R. JAYNES wrote:SHOOTING SPORTS IS ALIVE AND WELL IN NORTHERN CA ,WE AT SUTTER UNION HIGH STARTED A RIFLE PROGRAM 3 YEARS AGO.SUTTER UNION HAS ABOUT 680 STUDENTS AND IS A RURAL AREA .THE FIRST STUDENT TO GET A D1 SCHOLARSHIP WAS A RIFLE SHOOTER ,THIS RAISED SOME EYEBROWS,WE HAVE ABOUT 40 JR SHOOTERS AND LINCOLN RIFLE HAS ABOUT 60 SHOOTERS.IN OUR SECOND YEAR CORNING HIGH STARTED A AIR RIFLE PROGRAM .THEY HAVE NOW HELP 3 MORE SCHOOLS TO ADD PROGRAMS ,JUST IN THE LAST WEEK I HAVE HAD 2 MORE SCHOOLS ASK FOR HELP TO START RIFLE TEAM.CORNING HIGH IS GOING TO HOST A BIATHLON IN NOV AND HAS 10 HIGH SCHOOL COMING TO THE EVENT .SOME OF THE SCHOOL HAVE NOT PARTICIPATED IN SHOOTING SPORTS BUT THS WILL BE A START AND YES IT WILL BE ALL SPORTER. BUT THIS IS A GOOD THING. AT OUR AIR RIFLE SEC LAST YEAR WE HAD 90 ENTRIES AND ABOUT 45 FOR THE 22 RIFLE SEC. CORNING IS NOW TALKING WITH US ON WHAT KIND OF 22 RIFLES SHOULD THEY BUY ,SO AS YOU CAN SEE I DON'T KNOW IF WE CAN DO MORE AND STILL HOLD A REAL JOB
Misny

Post by Misny »

"Guest"

Our club has spent tens of thousands and untold volunteer man-hours on a new indoor range in our area. One of our members is working with a group of youths in air pistol. We have another working with youths in smallbore rifle. With the new shooter clinics and NRA "Women On Target" program we just participated in, I think that we are trying, but there is more to be done.

"Pilkguns"

Financially our club needs a little breather. I don't think that the membership is willing to purchase some new guns for the juniors at this point, but I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

What does USAS charge for a clinic? Our club is 100% NRA and not affiliated with USAS. Don't we have to be affiliated with USAS for one of these clinics? I'm sure that we can get quite a few warm bodies for an air pistol clinic if the price is right. We are currently working on getting a class for NRA range officer certification and NRA coach certification. I talked to the pistol coach of the USAMU this summer to see if we could get a bullseye pistol shooting seminar at our club, but no soap.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

You should check the county extension office and get the name of the county coordinator for 4-H shooting sports. 4-H has the most junior shooters in the country (which just doesn't seem right), but that's their quote. In Kansas, and probably in Indiana, if you get your 4-H Rifle Instructor certificate, there is a form, and now a take-home test to get NRA certification. The benefit of 4-H is that for $5.00 a year, we get $1,000,000 in liability insurance per instructor.

4-H competes in Air Rifle, Smallbore, Air Pistol, Smallbore Pistol, Shotgun, Hunting, Archery, and all three Muzzleloader.

Mike
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi again

Sorry I didnt' catch this the first time. You already have a range, so taking Range Safety Officer training may be a little late. Range Safety Officer teaches you how to build a new range, safely run it, gives you a blank gun club handbook etc. IT's mainly NOT a Match Range officer book. I am a RSO and I was really after the how to be a range officer.

You might email the NRA before you try that one. By the way, if you get certififed as an instructor, there is a takehome test for RSO too.

Mike
Misny

Post by Misny »

mikeschroeder,

It's probably just me, but I had a very bad experience with 4-H shooting as a volunteer once. I would rather go the NRA route. Thanks for the tip re: RSO.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Misny wrote:mikeschroeder,

It's probably just me, but I had a very bad experience with 4-H shooting as a volunteer once. I would rather go the NRA route. Thanks for the tip re: RSO.
No it's not just you. The 4-H changes their rules for each and every match. We try to shoot our matches per either the NRA or CMP rulebook. They are VERY disorganized at our state level, for example, the state smallbore shoot is Saturday and the rules were updated to say "NRA rulebook" this week. Didn't mention any-any, iron sights, weights, light rifle, or anything else. In short, I'm currently having a bad 4-H experience as we speak, we use them when possible, and ignore them when we can.

We stay with 4-H because of the cost of liability insurance from the NRA's broker. I don't believe that you have ANY insurance as an NRA Certified Instructor from your club. If it doesn't explicitily say you do, then I'm pretty sure you don't. I think it's about $200 per year for NRA instructor insurance, you should check. It's worth the $200 if you're charging for lessons, but we're not.

Mike
A.R. JAYNES

Post by A.R. JAYNES »

WE ALSO USE THE 4H FOR THE INSURANCE ,I BELIVE THAT THE KID'S ARE ALSO COVERED TO AND FROM EVENTS.WE ALSO USE THE YOUNGER 4H KID'S LIKE A FARM TEAM FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM ,THIS IS WORKING WELL FOR THE HIGH SCHOOL . IN CALIF I'VE NEVER KNOWN OF A STATE MATCH ,WE DO HAVE A STATE POSTAL MATCH THERE IS ABOUT 1700 KID'S THAT PARTICIPATE IN THAT MATCH.

WE SHOOT NRA AND THE USA MATCHES AND DO NOT REALY SHOOT ANY OF THE 4H STUFF ,THE POSTAL MATCH HAS BEEN SO LATE IN THE YEAR
THE YOUNG ONE'S ARE PLAY LITTLE LEAGUE AND THE OLDER ONE'S ARE WORKING OR GETTING READY FOR NATIONALS