Idea for new "JO Development Team"

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bill

Idea for new "JO Development Team"

Post by Bill »

All,

I hope you all don't think I'm hogging bandwidth here, but I have an idea that I would like to run past you. If it seems worthy, I will present it formally to USA Shooting and/or the NRA, since they work in concert in many ways.

We all know about the levels of "national team" membership that currently exist, namely, National Team (NT) and National Development Team (NDT). To make one of these teams, one has to perform at a certain match and place accordingly. My understanding is that there are discretionarly spaces as well. Either way, these are the top adults and juniors in the country and are the ones who are often picked to represent us in International competitions.

To me, there seems to be somewhat of a gap between the club shooter who is serious and doing really well, to those who make the NDT (in this example). In most cases, one has to place #1 or #2 in Nationals or in the Jr. Olympics, but that's the only way. I believe many juniors classify this as a "longer term" goal. But what about now? Can we dangle that carrot in front of them to keep them in our sport, to keep them working just as hard as those who have already made NT/ND teams?

I believe the answer is YES! I believe that we need another junior layer of development & recognition, which I will call the Jr. Olympic Development Team. Here's the concept:

1. A person (jr. in this case) can make the team at any age, by application to USAS/NRA, based on performance at certain matches. PTOs come to mind. While scores are the primary determinant, the applicant should be well-rounded and should have good grades, be motivated, etc. An application fee would, in theory, offset costs.

2. The scores are established based on age (J1, J2, J3). For example, a 13 year old who fires a 1080 (3x40, this is just an example) at least three times in a specified period would be eligible to apply. A sliding scale for all of the disciplines could be established.

3. Membership on the team could bring status. Members could be afforded training opportunities at the OTC (or wherever), that non-members are not eligible to receive. They could work directly with the National Team coach, NRA Coach Trainer, NCDS members, etc. at special camps, clinics, and so on.

4. Members would have to apply each year, and would have to keep
moving upwards. Members would be published on the USAS web site, magazines, etc.

I believe such a concept could fill a gap that we currently have, and would (in concept) bring those shooters who are working hard, performing, but not yet ready for the NDT to the frontlight for further development. It could be applied to all programs, all disciplines. And most importantly, it will give shooters something else to aim for!

OK... comments? Pick me apart. :)

Thanks

Bill

Post by Guest »

Sounds good - can adults play too, pleeease?
Joacim Trybom

Funding?

Post by Joacim Trybom »

One question comes to mind - what will the shooter get out of it? Is it for prestige or do they get to go to some international matches/camps?
USAS currently doesn't have money to send juniors to any additional matches, so there would be a need to fund the program.

I think it would be a great idea if there would be a solution to the funding. It would allow the shooters to be exposed to some international matches to gain experience to take it to the next step.

It would be similar to the Junior National Teams some countries have.

I would be more than willing to help out if someone could figure out a way to get this to work. I think it seems like a good way to broaden the top and increase the international experience among juniors and make them more competitive down the road.

There is a JO Camp every summer where the shooters have to apply to get in to. It has a similar concept as you mention where the shooters have to apply and a combination of JO scores and potential is used to determine who is spending a week at OTC.

Joacim
IDShooter

Post by IDShooter »

There used to be something like this called the National Grassroots Team, I was on it for a few years. I can't remember exactly how we got on but there was an application process and an interview. When the NRA was involved and there was money the grassroots team traveled to one match a quarter. When there wasn't money we went to two training camps a year at the OTC, which we paid for. We also had access to the National Coach when we needed help. We had monthly training logs to fill out to prove that we were working on moving up to the NDT and the NT.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Bill,

Besides the funding and staffing of the team. (I can't see application fees offsetting costs, and who is going to run the thing?)

I think most of the opportunities you list are already available.

There was a junior intermeadiate camp at Camp Perry this summer and 2 advanced junior camps (one in Vermont and one in Minnesota) put on by the NRA. I think there was also one at the OTC.

The intermeadiate camp was full, but I believe there were spaces at both of the Advanced camps available.

Other than the recognition to the kids I see little advantage to adding another layer. I just don't see us sending Junior shooters to international competitions. I don't see USAS, CMP, or NRA paying for it and as a parent of a shooter I'm not going to pay for it until my daughter reaches a higher level.

I'd rather see USAS, CMP, and NRA do more to expand junior shooting opportunities for all kids. More support of High School shooting teams and junior leagues. More indoor ranges giving range time to juniors.

At one time there were dozens of junior shooting clubs in the Washington DC area. Now we have half a dozen, and many of the kids shoot on 2 or 3 teams to get the extra practice in.

We already have programs for recognizing progression in shooting. The younger kids in our club see the Junior Olympics as a goal.

Maybe I'm spoiled by having excellent coaching available so close.
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

TWP, I think you are right about supporting the High School teams. As has been mentioned before, there used to be an abundance of HS teams, and now the numbers are dwindling. These teams are a great way to get intrest in the sport from kids that don't come from a shooting lineage. And an opportunity for kids that can't afford to purchase the equipment, and are unsure if they like it or not. I see it as better than other programs, such as boy scouts or 4H - because it reaches a broader spectrum of kids (boys and girls). Shooting can survive with the HS programs, but it will only thrive through them.
tcsantelli

Post by tcsantelli »

Hello,

I think the idea is a wonderful idea. It would give other good junior shooters a chance to improve into excellent shooters. There are a lot of junior shooters who have the potential to become international shooters but do not have the quality coaching needed to acheive this level of performance.
This new team would give the juniors the opportunity to possibly shoot in international matches (CAT games, Junior International championships, etc).
I beleive it would greatly increase the depth of the U.S. team. I also believe that the members of this team should get at least partial funding to go to matches ( Nationals, Selection matches, etc). At least this way it would give the Juniors somethng more to strive for, another stepping stone to achieve.

Thank you
T Santelli.

Re: Funding?

Post by Guest »

Funding is an interesting subject. We can spend $35,000 housing a felon, from $8k to $12k on a 1st grader in public school, build skate board parks at $million a pop, build bike paths at $1million a mile but funding a coach at $50k to 60k is too much to ask? Whatever happened to the money for midnight basketball? Ever wonder why some kids had problems being late to school? Yup the were out late playing midnight basketball on your dime LOL
Joacim Trybom wrote:One question comes to mind - what will the shooter get out of it? Is it for prestige or do they get to go to some international matches/camps?
USAS currently doesn't have money to send juniors to any additional matches, so there would be a need to fund the program.

I think it would be a great idea if there would be a solution to the funding. It would allow the shooters to be exposed to some international matches to gain experience to take it to the next step.

It would be similar to the Junior National Teams some countries have.

I would be more than willing to help out if someone could figure out a way to get this to work. I think it seems like a good way to broaden the top and increase the international experience among juniors and make them more competitive down the road.

There is a JO Camp every summer where the shooters have to apply to get in to. It has a similar concept as you mention where the shooters have to apply and a combination of JO scores and potential is used to determine who is spending a week at OTC.

Joacim