Storage of PCP guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobH

Storage of PCP guns

Post by RobH »

Is it recomended to unscrew the air cylinder of an air rifle (or pistol) when not in use for a day? How about a week?

Thanks

Rob
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

for day, probably not, for a week yes, be sure and unscrew the cylinder all the way, don't go halfway out and then start back in, you can pinch the o-ring
Mike Taylor

Removing cylinder

Post by Mike Taylor »

OK, that's from the horse's mouth, and for that reason alone I'll do it; but my mechanical curiosity is aroused. What's the downside of leaving the cylinder on the gun for a prolonged period?
Mike T.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I leave my cylinders on the guns permanently as I feel constant unscrewing will risk damaging either the thread or more likely the O-ring. Admitedly mine are generally fired generally every 2-3 days but even on longer rests they are still left in place.

Rob.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

the problem with leaving it on all the time is the that you keep the regulator pressurized, which is bad for the springs and worse for the o orings, meaning that they will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Just what that schedule is though, has too many variables to reliably predict. If you maintaina light amount of the proper grease on the threads as instucted in your owners manaul, then you should'nt have to worry about thread wear
eugenegazda

Storage of PCP guns

Post by eugenegazda »

What about CO2 guns?

Post by Guest »

I have a Morini 162e (non removable cylinder) - any thoughts as to whether I should release the pressure if i'm not planning on using it for a couple of weeks?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

CO2 guns do not have any where near the same pressure, nor do they have a regulator, so they are not as punishing on springs and o-rings as CA guns.

regarding the early Morini, thats a tough call.... For sure I would not fill it up at the end of a shooting sesssion, wait until I was going to shoot it again before re-filling. If I was not going to shoot for some longer lenght of time.. 2 weeks or more maybe? then I would drain the cylinder
Jerry LeVan

Post by Jerry LeVan »

At one time I had a Morini, I left a filled cylinder on for a little bit
longer than a month...When I went back to the Morini, I found the
cylinder empty.

I suspect a leak through a regulator is quite possible, normally
one would not need long time retention in the regulator system
for an AP...

Jerry
Kennyshoots

Post by Kennyshoots »

Hello all,

Just a small input of my experience...I have a Steyr LP1 I purchased new in 1995. It has been pressurized since the day I got it! It has seen periods of storage of over a year with no ill effects that I have noticed. (It has never leaked down!) I am now actively shooting it again and it is shooting as it always has, GREAT!

Just thought I would share this.

Kenny