Aguila 22 short ammo information

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tom

Aguila 22 short ammo information

Post by Tom »

Hi All,

A few of you may remember me posting asking for input on the Aguila 22 short match ammo. I was looking for a low cost practice/local club alternative to the CCI target shorts.

I ordered a case of Aguila off of a local dealer. The distribution warehouse was located in Quincy Ill. The lot date was quite old, over 2 years old. I was concerned about the condition of the ammo as Quincy is along side the Missippissi river and as such, subject to high humidity.

I pulled one brick out of the case and went to the range. The first session I went through 100 rounds with 15 failures to fire. As a control, I next fired 100 CCI target shorts after cleaning the pistol, 100% functioned. I returned to the Aguila after again cleaning the pistol and was presented with the same 15% defect rate. I called the dealer to inform him that there was an issue with reliability. The second 200 I left on a boiler to dry out before I returned to the range. These were kept at a temp of about 150 degrees F for about 2 weeks, these were much more reliable but still not up to match standards, they were still running 8% failure to fire. The last 100 were fired at that time and they reflected the 15% defect rate of the first batch.

The dealer worked with me in returning the case as I would not accept an overall failure rate of about 12%. I have since given up on Aguila 22 short and gone back to CCI for practice/local matches and Eley for important matches. I will still use the Aguila se in my Pardini SP's as I have never had an issue with it.

My 2 cents,

Tom

Firearm used: Walther OSP, factory brl, all ports open, recent firing pin, recoil and extractor kits. Cleaned every 75-100 rounds during the tests.
Control ammo: CCI 22 Short target part# 0037
Test ammo: Aguila 22 short match Prod date June 2002
Lonnie

Aguila 22 short match ammo

Post by Lonnie »

Tom,

I'm sure you have a bad case of ammo. Any rimfire ammo that is not stored properly will fail prematurely. Your description of the humid south is dead on. My attempts to store Eley Tenex in Military rubber sealed ammo cans for over 15 years proved difficult resulting something in less than "Tenex" for example.

There are several shooters in the Austin and Houston area that shoot cases of the stuff with little on no misfires. It is very accurate, dirtier than CCI, with milder recoil than the CCI short match as I'm sure you've already noticed. I have to wipe down the excess wax as do some others to get 100% fuctioning in my Hammerli 230, other's Walther OSP, and Pardini electrics. I have had only one failure to fire in the 8 bricks I've shot.

Lonnie Meyers
Round Rock, TX