Beware of discharging your air pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think this should read 'beware possessing illegal firearms' and of course firing them.

The important point is to find out what the laws of the land are before even comtemplating taking firearms there.

Rob.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I find the article very offensive. First, an air gun is not a firearm. Second, pellets are not ammunition, and finally an air pistol is definitely not a weapon. I'm very glad that our forefathers were smart and courageous enough over 200 years ago to fight and die to defend personal liberties. Yeah, I am unashamedly an American.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

You must comply with the laws and customs of a country you are visiting.

To unknowingly break them is foolish, to willingly break them is madness.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

many laws are so arbitrary and stupid that it is almost impossible to not accidently break one every now and then. I believe it is impossible to NOT break a law in the US every once in a while if you own a house, car, pet, radio transmitter, business, firearm, bible, child, bike, camera.... etc etc. and not even KNOW it!!!!

it is truly absurd, from an american point of view, to hear that "BB guns" are illegal firearms! it is inconceivable, in the US they are educational toys! that's why the guy could buy one for $20 in a walmart!

and they are not regarded here as dangerous with good reason! the BB gun is about the least dangerous item in the sporting goods section... or the kitchenwares section for that matter... and for politicians in other countries to regulate them as "weapons" demonstrates the stupidity of politicians!

if society were TRULY civilized, it would be very difficult to accidently break a law and there would be NO punishment for accidental violations!

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/
A law-abiding American

Post by A law-abiding American »

Misny wrote:I find the article very offensive. First, an air gun is not a firearm. Second, pellets are not ammunition, and finally an air pistol is definitely not a weapon. I'm very glad that our forefathers were smart and courageous enough over 200 years ago to fight and die to defend personal liberties. Yeah, I am unashamedly an American.
First: true

Second: maybe

Third: Point one at a police officer and get his opinion
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Misny wrote:I find the article very offensive. First, an air gun is not a firearm. Second, pellets are not ammunition, and finally an air pistol is definitely not a weapon. I'm very glad that our forefathers were smart and courageous enough over 200 years ago to fight and die to defend personal liberties. Yeah, I am unashamedly an American.
In plenty of countries you will find that an airgun is classified as a firearm. In countries that ban them it might as well have been an ordinary handgun and the penalities are likely to be the same.

With something like airguns, bb guns etc you need to be very sure of the laws of the country in question. Perhaps in the US some people become too complacent with their firearms laws and their relaxed nature, but even then I assume you would check the laws from state to state ?

At the end of the day if you don't check the gun laws where you are going then you are asking for trouble, and ignorance is no excuse in a court of law.

Rob.