Dumb Idea Department

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

funtoz

Dumb Idea Department

Post by funtoz »

I have been drooling over a Rika system again. Try as I might, I can't justify the cost of one, especially when you realize that you don't need it every time you shoot. Wouldn't it be cool if someone would rent one out, say on a weekly or monthly basis.

Larry
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Larry,
Try and convince your club to get one and use that. My clubs too small so I bought my own (a Scatt).

Rob.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Thought of that.

Its hard to justify it even for that use. I'm the range committee chair. I get to rastle with them kind of compromises... do you buy a toy for a few serious competitors (the rika), or a toy for a few dozen bench rest shooters (bore scope), or replace the pistol range side wall that is falling down onto the rifle range, or finish building the rapid fire range. And even if we had the free cash, who gets to use it, when, where... where do we keep it? and then there's the computer that goes with it. I can't count the times the chronos have been hurt. A neighboring range loaned their chrono to a shooter that tried to chrono his shotgun. They don't have one any more. I thought about getting one and renting it out to other clubs when not in use but who has the time to manage that? I like to shoot once in a while too.

Far better if a business found a profit potential in doing the deed (Scott!- Warren needs another headache, right), preferably someone that could do credit cards so they could recoup the damage when it happens.. sort of like the rental car companies do.

We can't do polls on the board - too bad. I wonder how many training systems are sitting unused in closets and garages. You hardly ever see a used one for sale. Maybe they're more useful and used than I think.

Larry
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I got my Scatt second hand from the (UK) main dealer. It's worth asking around the dealers as they probably won't advertise them.

As for PC's most people will have one to spare - we all upgrade them too often don't we ?

As for it being a toy, it is really anything but. A seriously useful bit of kit for those club coaching sessions. Also great for training youngsters - who normally like anything a bit more exciting than a paper target.

Rob.