Cleaning Primer pockets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Alex L

Cleaning Primer pockets

Post by Alex L »

During the weekend, I was talking to some fairly new C/F shooters, and one commented on the number of malfuntions with the primers. I discovered that he has never cleaned the primer pockets, and pointed out this may be the problem. He did not know what I was talking about!
He uses an automatic loader, but before loading he cleans the cases in a vibrator. I pointed out to him that when he loads with an automatic loader there is no cleaning sequence, therefore he must do it by hand, because if the primer does not sit properly there will be a malfunction.
I wonder how many shooters would agree with this.
I load my cases individually, and do regular inspections at each proceeding. I feel that if you go to compete, you want to make sure your ammo works!
Alex L.
David Levene

Re: Cleaning Primer pockets

Post by David Levene »

Alex L wrote:I wonder how many shooters would agree with this.
I could not agree more.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

I'm glad that you enjoy your loading tools. I doubt that cleaning primer pockets, of pistol ammo at least, was the problem. Improperly seated primers maybe, firing pin problems maybe, but I can't remember the last time I had a fail to fire from a primer problem with either 45 or 38 ammo. I load the same way they do, as do all of the bullseye and center fire shooters that I know. Most of us gage our ammo after loading to make sure it feeds, but that is a whole different failure mode.

Then again, Australian primers and tools might be different. The world is a strange place at times.

Larry
Alex L

Cleaning Primer Pockets

Post by Alex L »

Thanks for your replies.
However, when you use a vibrator for cleaning the cases, sometimes the very fine cleaning compound (walnut shells) can get lodged inside, and need to be manually removed.
At many competitions, especially with double action revolvers, we find that this is one of the common problems causing malfunctions. Plus, sometimes the primers do not sit deep enough, and when you have a close tolerance (like Manurhin) the cylinder does not rotate properly. In the timing sequences, you lose time.

Service Match and Action Match are popular here in Oz, and most shooters use revolvers, for speed loading. If the firing pin main spring gets old, that can also cause a problem.
You are lucky you have a reliable pistol! I use a semi-auto, however I know how important it is to have No malfunctions during the time sequences, which can be a disaster if they happen!
Alex L.
Spencer C

Re: Cleaning Primer Pockets

Post by Spencer C »

Alex L wrote:Thanks for your replies.
However, when you use a vibrator for cleaning the cases, sometimes the very fine cleaning compound (walnut shells) can get lodged inside, and need to be manually removed.
Deprime AFTER you put the cases through the tumbler / vibrator, not before.

IMHO there are lots of things worth worying about when reloading CF pistol ammunition - cleaning the primer pockets is not one of them.

Spencer