the new forum style--your thoughts

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

the new forum style--your thoughts

Post by pilkguns »

Okay guys and girls, now that we have played with this for some time, what are you impressions? what do like? what do not like? what would you like to see changed? do we have too many seperate areas? should we combine everything back togther like it used to be?

Let me see some input from you
Scott
deleted1

Impressions

Post by deleted1 »

I like the current idea which is much more organized---the selective areas are easier to work with as you don't have to wade through posts that are not of interest. I like it and don't fix it, it ain't broke. Thanks for hosting this site---I check in a few times a week.

The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good

Post by Guest »

Scott:

I agree with Bob - the system works well.

Jim
Helen

Post by Helen »

I like it. I like that if new comments on older subjects are posted, the subject is brought to a current status again. Also, can look at what I'm interested in, easily.
Thanks for hosting.
Randy Bimrose

Post by Randy Bimrose »

Good format and operation. Easy to find what you are interested in quickly--it ain't broke--don't fix it!!
Southpaw

impressions

Post by Southpaw »

I like it, now that I'm familiar with it. It does look like most others. I was also fond of the old site. The threads seemed to get more discussion, or is that just my imagination?
I would like to see and buy, sell or trade section, perhaps with a built in 30 day, or whatever arbitrary length of time drop off.

My 2 cents,
Southpaw
sparky

Post by sparky »

Looks great, much more organized. Easier to find topics you're interested in and ignore ones you aren't.
I think some topics aren't getting as many posts because instead of rehashing the same question every two weeks (like "is the Toz competitive", "Morini 162 vs. Steyr LP-10 vs. LP-1", etc.), someone can just do a search and find the topic they're interested in.
noname

Post by noname »

In general, it's a great site and format. If I were to change anything, I'd add a "view all items" option along with the "go to page 1,2,3" links.
Dan Hankins

Forum comment

Post by Dan Hankins »

Scott,
I am thankful that this forum exists at all. So, as I see it, you should make a form that is most easily managed and takes the least of your time.

Someone mentioned a classified section might be of interest. As forum owner, you could also post your merchandise that does not make it to your web page, due to time constraints. If you think that you might step on some ones toes advertising your merchandise on the web page that you host, just remember they could have or could start their won web page too. So, I see no problem.

Just what ever is the easiest, to make sure Target Talk continues.

respectfully,
Bubba
Rustam Bana

Post by Rustam Bana »

Like it the way it is now and second the idea of adding a classified section.

Thanks.

Rustam
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Scott,
I prefer it to the old format.
I think it's great.
Thanks!
JLK

Post by Guest »

Appreciate the ease-of-use with this format (active topics go to the top of list) and the reduction of useless comments from the peanut gallery. Gives our sport the demeanor it deserves.

If you could stand to do more tweaking, a Buy/Sell area would be helpful, and one just for listing events, like matches, shows, etc.
Bill177

Nice to see only new items

Post by Bill177 »

To me, the greatest feature is the ability to select only the threads that have new items added. That makes for a very quick read and directs me to what interest me, and not having to cull through all entries.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I like the forum format. One thing I would like if it was possible is to choose to have the newest post first in your profile.
Victor

I like it!!

Post by Victor »

It's great- the forums are logically organized and it is easy to find the threads you might be interested in. Thanks a lot for taking the time and effort to provide this service to the target shooting community-- TargetTalk is much appreciated and enjoyed.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Think it looks fantastic, it loads faster and it works better. Keep it !
Bill

Forum- AWESOME

Post by Bill »

Scott-

The site is great. Keep it up!

Bill
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

Its just great the way it is.
May all your shots be "10's"
Steve Swartz

Slower, Cumbersome, But Compared to What . . .

Post by Steve Swartz »

Scotty:

1) Keep up the great work- thanks for hosting this effort. Mega-Kudos!
2) Compared to a standard "Newsgroup" viewing with a newsreader, the format is much slower, cumbersome, cluttered, and does not appear to me to be any improvement at all (well, it looks prettier, but is less functional) than the old format. Fort what it does, it is no improvement (except in "oprettiness") over the old format AND is slower, harder to navigate.
3) With a newsreader, the topics are automatically threaded together, you can quickly navigate, you can customize views to hide already read/too old/uninteresting topics; you can select/deselect posts from certain posters, etc. etc. And- best of all- newsgroups/newsreaders are FAST!

Me personally- my participation has gone down because it just takes so &^%$^@#! long to get on the site, load up the page, then load up teh subpage(s), then every time you want to switch topics its back to waiting for pages to load etc. etc.

Sorry to be the one lone voice here. And thanks for asking.

Steve "Speed is Life" Swartz

p.s. AND i got another *!&@^# error message the first couple of times I tried to post this (happens frequently)
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Took me a while to used to it, but I now think it's great. Though I may be wrong (and i don't think I'm the first to say this), it seems that the old board was more "active" - though dividing the board up into separate disciplines is probably responsible for making this appear so.

What would be nice would be to see some enhancements similar to what I have seen on other boards using similar (the same?) open-source BB software. It would be great to have the option of an ID photo next to the posters name (be it a genuine photo or silly one - we could do with more humour on the board).

Even better would be the ability to import an image into a posting directly from one's own computer. The only way of currently doing this is if the image already exists on the web (using the "Img" tags and inserting a URL - correct me if I'm wrong on this) . This would enable those with digital cameras / scanners to easily post images of items they have for sale, or close-ups of parts giving problems, or whatever. If possible, set the image size limit to (say) 100k, and the board could reach a whole new level of usefulness.