Value of Anschutz 2007/2013 and Hammerli 208s

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

spmtt

Value of Anschutz 2007/2013 and Hammerli 208s

Post by spmtt »

First post for me. I have been reading for a while though.

A friend is selling his collection and I have a chance to buy an Anschutz 2007/2013 single shot rifle (stainless) and Hammerli 208s pistol (blue). Both are used but in good (80%+) condition. The book shows about $750 for the hammerli but it seems like most people ask a lot more. I can't find anything on the Anschutz. Any thoughts on the value of these two?

He also has a walther gsp, gsp32, s&w m41, and sig trailside. Would any of these be preferable over the hammerli?
Evia

The 208S

Post by Evia »

None of these guns is better than a 208S...Trust me.

If you have the oportunitie to buy a 208S don't let it pass. These guns can cost more or les 2,000 US at USA. I don't know where you got that 750 price, but I think it's very low.

If your friend wants to sell you his pistol in 750 you'll make an excellent deal.

Rgds,

Manuel Evia
tim s

Post by tim s »

hello, you said that the rifle was a 2007/ 2013. Do you mean a 2007 (lighter weight) barrel and action in a 2013 stock? Or are you not sure which it is? Normally the 2007 and 2013 are quite different; the 2013 has a much more adjustable stock than a 2007, (assuming the 2007 is isn the original stock). This will have great effect upon the price. here in the UK a 2013 with a wooden stock costs about 1800 GB pounds, a 2007 in normal wooden stock is more like 1100 GB pounds. If it is in a metal stock the price difference is much less, about 200 Gb pounds.

You said that it had a stainless barrel, is this a factory barrel or an after-market custom barrel. The difference may influence the price.

Hope this has been of some help, and not too confusing.

good shooting

Tim S

Exeter UK
spmtt

Post by spmtt »

Thanks for the responses. To the best of my knowledge this is a factory stock rifle with a wood stock (many adjustments on the stock) and a stainless anschutz barrel that is marked "2007/2013". It might be a super match. The rifle is a single shot RH bolt action. It also appears to be counterweighted. The asking price is 1495 USD.
F. Paul

Post by F. Paul »

$750 for a Hammerli 208s is a STEAL if the gun is at 80 percent especially if it functionally sound. I would jump on an offer like that.

My estimate of a fair market value for the 208s based on all the window shopping I have done for the past two years is is $1500-1700

Good luck - you'll never regret owning one of the best.

Paul
Fabian

208S

Post by Fabian »

Blue book value for the 208S in 80% condition is approximately $1800. During the past few months I have not seen anyone offering a 208S for less than $2000.
tim s

Post by tim s »

1495 USD that's about 8-900 Gb pounds, doesn't sound bad as long as it comes with sights. If there are any goodies like irises, handstop or others the price sound even better. The inscription on the barel is odd though. The difference between an Anschutz '07 and '13, other than the stock, IS the barrel. I've never heard of the dual marking before. Is the stock a thumbhole with hook, or a UIT standard (no thumbhole, fore-end deepens to the trigger guard)?

good shooting

Tim S

Exeter UK
spmtt

Post by spmtt »

I went ahead and bought the two 208s ($1100 USD each) which I think was fair. One of them had a G. Madore counterweight with scope mount and ultradot scope, the other was just a plain pistol. Neither had box or tools. I found that the anschutz is a 2013 super match. It looks like the one at the link below but has a stainless barrel with no counterweight. Asking price was $950 USD. I put some money down on it but won't be able to pay it out for a while. The hammerlis broke the toy budget for some time according to the wife :)

http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/gallery/ ... tz2013.htm

Post by Guest »

CONGATULATIONS on your your purchases. Not only have you purchased the finest .22 pistols made you did got them at a great price.

Enjoy!
tcsantelli

Post by tcsantelli »

If you got that Anschutz for 950 USD, that was a steal. here in the U.S. used they cost about 1800-2400. Brand new they cost 3000 USD. That was a excellent find.
spmtt

Post by spmtt »

There were two of the 2013s available. One had a thick stainless barrel, the other had a thick stainless barrel but it was shorter and had some sort of counterweights near the end. I got the one without the counterweights. He also has a 1903 left handed for the same price.

I shot the 208s with the scope for the first time last week and realized that I have a lot to learn. :) The hardware does not make a champion.

I am looking for a hammerli case & gun-ho range box if anyone has one available.

Haemmerli 208 .22 semiauto

Post by guest »

The Haemmerli 207 / 208 has been around for very long. These guns are made with Swiss quality in mind. And they do not come cheap.

The grip angle is more like a service pistol, less so like a match .22 auto.
The triggers used to develop creep after a few thousand rounds with the earlier models. This has porbably improved since then.

A costly plinker, capable of very good accuracy. But seldom seen at the great maches.

Some functional problems reported. Change of ammo brand sometimes helps. With the earlier models some malfunctions were blamed on the (formerly?) very tight chambers.

I owned one 208 during the 70´s. Fired it a lot. The gun did definetely not prefer russian iron cased .22 ammo!. It did its best with Eley Rifle Club, I remember.
Paul - in Dever

You gotta be kidding - right?

Post by Paul - in Dever »

Regarding the Hammerli 208, a Guest wrote:

"A costly plinker, capable of very good accuracy. But seldom seen at the great maches."

With all due respect, ARE YOU SERIOUS??

The only reason that they are seldom seen at the "great matches" is because they have been out of production for many years.

You dont see an Aston Martin DB5 on the roads or racetracks very often either. But only a complete idiot would say - "a costly commuter car capable of good reliability but seldom seen on the great roads"

Your unsupportable estimation of this fine gun makes me believe YOU are the thing that has never been seen at the great matches.

haemmerli 208 again.

Post by guest »

To Paul - in Denver.

Thanks for your patronizing post, Paul.

Mee at the "great" matches? Well, I have visited some, during more decades, yes.
The 208 was used by some female international shooters in the 70´s I recon. But not by many. That was what I ment.

By the way I was in Denver some time ago. And I did not see you at an autdoor range I visited in that area. Seems I was lucky.
Spencer C

Re: Hammerli 208 .22 semiauto

Post by Spencer C »

A costly plinker, capable of very good accuracy. But seldom seen at the great maches.
Some functional problems reported. Change of ammo brand sometimes helps. With the earlier models some malfunctions were blamed on the (formerly?) very tight chambers.
I owned one 208 during the 70´s. Fired it a lot. The gun did definetely not prefer russian iron cased .22 ammo!. It did its best with Eley Rifle Club, I remember.[/quote]

*Took me a long time, but I (finally) got my hands on a 208 a year or so back. It does all I expect of it and only gives ammunition problems with ammo that also gives problems in my rifle (i.e. a much bigger firing pin hit).

* Grip - not that angled that it gives me tennis elbow problems with these aging limbs,
* Costly - could this be a reflection of the price people are prepared to pay?,
* Plinker - you have got to be joking!,
* Seldom seen at the great ma(t)ches - agreed, but this is more a matter of 'fashion'. Just look at how many shooters are interested in what the top shooters ae using at a major match (rather than how many hours they put in each week).

Got one!
Love it!
Only wish that I could shoot as well as the 208!

Spencer
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Next time you're in Denver let me know ahead of time. I'll make it a point to meet up with you - and buy you a beer for being so haughty. I'm in Edmonton next month on the 16th and I hear that Canadian beer is even tastier when consumed on that side of the border.

There's enough grief in this world without two complete strangers starting off on the wrong foot- especially armed strangers.

I offer my apology for the way I said what I did.

However, I respectfully still think you're all wet on the subject.
former 208 owner

Post by former 208 owner »

Hi, Paul in Denver.

Canadian beer? I like the lightcolored "Canadian Blond" beer. Served well chilled.

On my "tour" in the southwest I also visited Soccorro, Las Scruises and Santa Fe. And did some informal shooting, also with blach powder rifles at very long ranges. Lovely. And we had "bollons" of cold beer after the shooting. After a few hours in the dry desert sun nothing tasted better than a chilled beer! You are right.

Back to the 208.

I bought my 208 in 1970, I think. Back then it was considered better for ISSF (UIT back then) match shooting than the more common High Standard .22 auto pistols. The oddly looking GSP was already there, but I prefered the 208.
I did a lot of shooting with this gun, about 3 cases (5000 each) of Eley, one case of Lapua Pistolmatsch, and one (ONLY!) of cheap russian .22 ammo, featuring black iron cases.
The wooden russian case contained 2 green military looking sealed boxes of 2800 rounds each, making a total of 56oo rounds. (The 2 green iron boxes had to be opened with a large "tin can opener", which was supplied in a recess inside the lid of the wooden case. Strange.)
The iron cases required a strong firing pin blow, which the 208 had not. A lot of misfires! It took eons to make it through that case of russian ammo.

But with Eley ammo the 208 did well. The Lapua stuff (back then) had too much greese on the bullets. Stoppages occured.
The gun eventually evolved a creepy trigger. That is not so bad for the ISSF Standard Pistol disipline. But for slow fire accurate shooting I did not like it. If finaly traded the 208 off and bought a pair of GSPs (.32 and .22).

I do not know when I´ll be back in the US, Paul. As for now I am enjoying duch and austrian beers. Not so bad either.

All wet on the 208 topic, you said? Mee? Well, remember I also consider my now old GSPs costly plinkers!
F. Paul in Denver

Comraderie and the 208

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Former 208 owner\guest wrote:

“The gun eventually evolved a creepy trigger. “

I suppose guns are a lot like us - as we get older, we start showing signs of wear (some of us more gracefully than others). We can at least agree that even an exceptional gun is no exception

I don’t know from where you hail but if you are out of the country enjoying Austrian and Dutch beers, I am very envious.

Enjoy yourself, stay healthy and please keep my invitation in mind next time you are in my back yard.

By the way, I travel to Geneva, Switzerland each fall to visit my mother.
(Now you can see why I am so defensive about Swiss guns. :-))

F. Paul - Denver