Rules for USAS National Rankings?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Steve Swartz

Rules for USAS National Rankings?

Post by Steve Swartz »

Does anyone know the algorithm for calculating national rankings used by USAS? It apparently isn't a moving average . . . is it a static average based on calendar year?

Do they calculate it only once a year?

How might their method affect participation?

Steve Swartz
mcole95

Post by mcole95 »

Steve,

The methodology is described in the article below:

http://www.usashooting.com/News/NewsView.cfm?id=163

I see you're not listed in the National Rankings. From what I've heard/seen, there are a number of people not showing up for some reason who should be.

--Matt
Steve Swartz

Thanks! So it *is* supposed to be a moving average . . .

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . but according to the person who replied to my email at Competitions, the way they are doing it in practice is not at all what they describe as a 4-quarter moving average.

Apparently, they drop your name if you fail to fire the required number of shots (3 full matches) in *any one quarter* of the 4-quarter moving average, not if you fail to have the required number of shots *over the 4-quarter period.*

I like the stated policy (moving average of 4 quarterly periods) but not sure how the policy in practice is working.

My fear is (since I just totally hosed two matches in AP at the SSM) that some competitors may decline to shoot- or withdraw from a match- if they don't think they are going to have a "good day." The 4 quarter moving average will offset this- but only if all data is included, not just quarters where you shot at least three complete matches! If we drop periods where we shot only two matches completely from the calculation (as tehy appear to be doing in practice??) this will skew the results.

Hopefully I am misunderstanding how this is working.

Steve
Chris

Post by Chris »

I wish I had the time to shoot 3 matches in each event every quarter.

Post by Guest »

Heck! There aren't any three events, close enough together any quarter, to shoot without traveling across the whole darn country!
mcole95

Post by mcole95 »

Just got the official word from Tim Conrad of USA Shooting. Apparently shooters must fire 3 Olympic courses of fire PER 12 MONTH PERIOD, NOT PER QUARTER. Hope this helps.

--Matt

--------

[Tim's Response]

We documented this about a year ago in USA Shooting News,
but have not said much about it since. It works as follows:

Ranking is based on a 12 month period. We have a three
month lag, to allow match sponsors to submit scores. We
update four times a year.

March 1 update, scores from Dec 1 thru Nov 30
June 1, scores from March 1 to Feb 28/9
Sept 1, scores from June 1 to May 31
Dec 1, scores from Sept 1 to Aug 31

A shooter must have shot at least three Olympic courses
of fire or equivalent. 180 shots, Men's Air rifle, 375
targets for Men's trap, etc. We only look at # of shots,
so half courses count. We do not yet include international
matches, world cups, etc. We hope to do so in the future.

Some Canadian shooters get included, as long as they have
current membership in USA Shooting. If a shooter's
membership lapses, they do not get included in the current
ranking, if they renew, previous scores will be included
in the next update.

Hope this helps.

Tim Conrad
Technical Coordinator
USA Shooting

Post by Guest »

It is indeed a 12 month moving average. Sorry if my reply didn't make that clear. We have had a couple of folks who didn't appear on the list even though they had enough shots. If their membership expires just before I run the ranking, and they renew just after, they don't make the list. (It's how the database works) Ditto classification cards. Must be an active member to get one.

Tim Conrad
(tim.conrad@usashooting.org)
Steve Swartz

OK- but it isn't working that way! (see three posts up)

Post by Steve Swartz »

I meet *all* of your criteria and still dropped off the list.

Something isn't working properly.

Did the three matches we shot for the 3x Airgun in February not get submitted or something?

Steve Swartz