2004 FINAL OLYMPIC RIFLE, PISTOL and RUNNING TARGET TEAM TRI

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USAS

2004 FINAL OLYMPIC RIFLE, PISTOL and RUNNING TARGET TEAM TRI

Post by USAS »

FORT BENNING, Ga. – Matt Emmons (Browns Mills, N.J.) has qualified in his third and final rifle event Monday at the Final Olympic Team Trials at Fort Benning’s Pool Ranges, and accomplished a feat no other American in the history of modern Olympic Shooting has—triple qualified.

“That was my goal,” the 23-year-old University of Alaska-Fairbanks graduate said. “I have been training really hard and knew that I could shoot good scores in all three events. I was in the right mood this past week and just got into a rhythm. The more I competed, the better my approach got.”

If that continues, then competitors beware. Emmons was unstoppable by the final days of competition. With no one even in his reach, he continued to shoot excellent scores and expand his lead each and every day. By the end of the three-position event, Emmons had a 31-point lead in a very competitive class of shooters.

Major Michael Anti (Winterville, N.C.) must have caught the fever as well. Although Anti did not shoot near the scores he is capable of, he was able to join Emmons on the men’s three-position Olympic Team. Anti qualified in prone just a few days earlier. And both men say that three-position is their strongest event.

In men’s air pistol, Jason Turner (Rochester, N.Y.) and Sgt. 1st Class Darryl Szarenski (Saginaw, Mich.) hung on to their top two-positions and were finally able to walk away with the Olympic Team spots. Turner and Szarenski led after the Fall Olympic Selection last year, but had to squeeze through this spring in order to be home free. It was a touch-and-go final round though, as Brian Zins (Quantico, Va.) hung in there with all he had to make the competition tight and suspenseful. In the end, it came down to a two-tenths of a point difference between Zins and Turner.

There was much less suspense when it came to the women’s sport pistol event. After all, Elizabeth Callahan (Upper Marlboro, Md.) and Rebecca Snyder (Grand Junction, Colo.) forged such a lead in the Fall Selection that no one even came close to pushing them out of the top-two spots this spring. Callahan and Snyder finished with more than a 40-point lead over their competition.

This will be Anti, Callahan and Snyder’s third Olympic Games. None of them have yet to step on the medal stand. But, all three are hoping third times a charm.

For more information or full results from today’s events, please log onto www.usashooting.org.

Newsline No. 10 ◄
Editor: Sara Greenlee

Yesterday
AT THE RANGES
Men’s Running Target Matches, Finals and Awards
Men’s Three-Position Rifle Matches and Finals
Men’s Air Pistol Matches
Women’s Sport Pistol Matches

Today
AT THE RANGES
Men’s Three-Position Rifle Matches, Finals and Awards
Men’s Air Pistol Matches, Finals and Awards
Women’s Sport Pistol Matches, Finals and Awards

Men’s Three-Position Rifle
Overall Finishers
Top-10
1. Matt Emmons, 3,717.1; 2. Michael Anti, 3,686.3; 3. Matt Rawlings, 3,683.1; 4. Shane Barnhart, 3,677.4; 5. Eric Uptagrafft, 3,677.0; 6. Matthew Wallace, 3,676.2; 7. Ken Johnson, 3,671.6; 8. Trevor Gathman, 3,662.0; 9. Joseph Hall, 3,574.0; 10. Christopher Abalo, 3,563.1.

Men’s Air Pistol
Overall Finishers
Top-8
1. Daryl Szarenski, 2,407.6; 2. Jason Turner, 2,406.8; 3. Brian Zins, 2,406.4; 4. John Bickar, 2,395.2; 5. John Ennis, 2,382.9; 6. Mark Kelly, 2,366.4; 7. Adam Halloway, 2,358.7; 8. John Zurek, 2,355.9.

Women’s Sport Pistol
Overall Finishers
Top-8
1. Rebecca Snyder, 2,420.0; 2. Elizabeth Callahan, 2,414.9; 3. Sandra Uptagrafft, 2,374.3; 4. Nora Stoyanova, 2,359.3; 5. Teresa Meyer, 1,194.8; 6. Janine Bowman, 1,143; 7.Melissa McConnell, 1,116; 8. Kimberly Hobart, 1,091.