Turn Tikka 308 into a 6mm BR CISM rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Robert

Turn Tikka 308 into a 6mm BR CISM rifle

Post by Robert »

I have a Tikka Sporter in .308 and thinking of getting it re-barrel into a 6mm BR CISM rifle. I know Tikka M595 is not a main stream CISM rifle, but $ is alway a factor.

Is this change over possible. Once I heard these two calibers share the same bolt face. My primary shooting will be 300 Meter for 3 position only.

Please advise,
Robert
tim s

.308 to 6mm

Post by tim s »

6mm BR does have the same case head diameter as the .308 Win, so you could just have the rifle rebarreled. However a sporter stock would not be suitable for competetive 3-P. You would need to find an adjustable target stock that would fit your Tikka's action, or have one modified to fit by a gunsmith. Also I'm not sure whether the receiver of the Tikka, presumably designed to mount a 'scope would accomodate an aperture rearsight, especially one designed to fit on a dovetail as do most. Have you considered finding an older 300m target rifle used? If you are beginning this would serve you well until you feel you want to invest in a newer, more expensive rifle.

Good luck and good shooting whatever your decision

Tim S

Exeter UK