First members of the Olympic Rifle Team selected

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USAS

First members of the Olympic Rifle Team selected

Post by USAS »

2004 FINAL OLYMPIC RIFLE, PISTOL and RUNNING TARGET TEAM TRIALS

FORT BENNING, Ga. – At the conclusion of Sunday’s matches, the first group of shooters were named to the 2004 Olympic Rifle Team at Fort Benning’s Pool Range. Staff Sgt. Jason Parker (Omaha, Neb.) won a spot on his second Olympic Team, while Matt Emmons (Browns Mills, N.J.), Sarah Blakeslee (Vancouver, Wash.) and Morgan Hicks (Roy, Wash.) were all selected to their first.

After coming in fifth after the first day of competition in men’s air, Parker knew he just needed to calm down and shoot the scores he knew he could shoot. Parker, the World Record holder in this event, settled into his own and soared past the competition for a first place score of 1989.0 and the chance to go after that medal that had eluded him four years ago at the 2000 Olympics, where he placed only fractions of a point off of making the medal stand.

“That has been my motivation for the last four years,” Parker said. “That kind of disappointment just doesn’t go away. I mean someday, I’m sure I will look back and realize fifth place was a pretty good finish for my first Olympics, but not today, and not while I am still training for Athens. I really don’t want to go home empty handed again.”

Joining Parker in the fight for an Olympic medal will be his U.S. teammate Matt Emmons. Emmons was able to clinch an Olympic berth in this first men’s event by remaining consistent through all three days of competition and finishing with a score of 1,985.0. A 2002 World Champion in prone, Emmons will also compete in that event starting Tuesday. And if everything goes his way, he could realistically shoot in a total of three events at the Olympics.

“I still need to stay focused. It is really easy to get hung up on the score and the pressure, but I know I need to concentrate on the things I can control,” Emmons said.

Sarah Blakeslee agrees. Blakeslee had to shoot at these trials just days after losing her grandfather. “He was such a huge supporter of me and my shooting,” Blakeslee said. “I wanted to do well for him, and I just feel blessed to have done that.” Blakeslee took the first spot on the Women’s 3-Position Team after a huge last day score, finishing with a 1,934.3.

For Morgan Hicks, the realization that she has made the team really hasn’t sunk in yet. “I am shocked,” Hicks said. “I really didn’t think I had a chance in 3-position. I am actually much better in air rifle.” An event Hicks will try to win Tuesday, as well.

Newsline No. 3 ◄
Editor: Sara Greenlee

Yesterday
AT THE RANGES
Men’s10m Air Rifle Matches and Finals
Women’s 50m 3-position Rifle Matches and Finals

Today
AT THE RANGES
Men’s10m Air Rifle Matches, Finals and Awards
Women’s 50m 3-position Rifle Matches, Finals and Awards

Monday
AT THE RANGES
Official Training Day

Tuesday
AT THE RANGES
Men’s 50m Prone Rifle Matches and Finals
Women’s 10m Air Rifle Matches and Finals

Men’s Air Rifle
Final Overall Standings
Top-10
1. Jason Parker, 1,989.0; 2. Matt Emmons, 1,985.0; 3. Ryan Tanoue, 1,981.4; 4. Trevor Gathman, 1,977.0; 5. Matt Rawlings, 1,976.2; 6. Bradley Wheeldon, 1,964.4; 7. Joseph Hein, 1,961.6; 8. Christopher Abalo, 1,867.1; 9. Eric Uptagrafft, 1,859.8; 10. James Hall, 1,856.4.

Women’s 3-Position Rifle
Final Overall Standings
Top-10
1. Sarah Blakeslee, 1,934.3; 2. Morgan Hicks, 1,933.8; 3. Amber Darland, 1,931.1; 4. Emily Caruso, 1,929.7; 5. Melissa Mulloy-Mecozzi, 1,929.2; 6. Jamie Beyerle, 1,925.3; 7. Hattie Johnson,1,920.9; 8. Alicia Sawyer, 1,802.9; 9. Hannah Kerr, 1,801.7; 10. Sherri Jo Gallagher, 1,798.8.

For more information or full results please log onto www.usashooting.org.