Ideal Spotting Scope for 10M range - is 20x an overkill?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

esafromny

Ideal Spotting Scope for 10M range - is 20x an overkill?

Post by esafromny »

In the market for a spotting scope - 10M air pistol.

A lot in the market out there - - Any recommendations on power will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I use an old 20x, and it works out fine for single bull targets, I have no trouble seeing the holes. Although 15x is probably easier, in that aligning the scope to the target is not as critical, especially if you shoot the multi-bull targets. When I shoot a multi-bull target w my AR, I have to readjust my 20x scope for the different bulls.

Critical is how close will it focus. There are a lot of spotting scopes out there that won't focus down to 10m. And many scopes don't list that in their specs.

Gary
Greg Knutzen

Post by Greg Knutzen »

I have a low end kowa scope 500 series with a zoom optic at 45 degrees and love it. It can focus down to 10m and works great at 50m and works well in low light. I tried a scope made in china that you may see advertised and it was to small and the eye relief was not the best.
Spotted Spotter

Minimum focus distance

Post by Spotted Spotter »

Yeah, take care, and test the focusing abilities of the scopes at 33 feet (10 m) prior to purschase. Too many scopes will not focus down to 10 m. Simply because they were not constructed with that in mind. They are typically made for birdspotting.

And those flying objects will not often let you as close as 10m. And if they do, then you do not need a spotting scope to see them clearly. That is how it is.
RolyF

Post by RolyF »

With all due respect to our Host, take a look at what Don Nygord is selling soon at his website. Looks like the perfect scope for many of us. I haven't had a peek at Pilk's stuff lately so would look there as well before ordering.

Nygord site

Post by Guest »

Roly - I couldnt find a single scope for sale on Nygord's site - can you be more specific as to where it is??

Thanks!
Warren

Baby Scopes, eye relief

Post by Warren »

I guess I've been using one of the NG scopes for so long I haven't considered looking far afield for anything else.

But on a couple of occasions I've been told they lack eye relief for wearers of glasses. I also wear glasses, and have never had any problem, but today I decided to try a "scientific" field test to see just how much eye relief would be needed to comfortably spot an air pistol target.

I figured a view of the 5-ring and all within should be all we need to spot shots and decide where the group is headed.

Holding that view, I had a friend measure (as accurately as possible) how far my eye was from the eyepiece. The 5-ring view gave me 1 3/4" clearance, even with glasses this gives 1/2" to 3/4" clearance. A little closer, still not having the glasses or frames touch the eyepiece, I could easily see the whole target.

The entire field of view for non-eyeglass wearers would easily cover a 4-bull air pistol target, at least the four blacks and a little clearance. But that would means us bespecked fellas only have to move our heads a bit to see each target.

I don't know if its size makes it appear a "toy", so it's dismissed out of hand. I'd defy anybody to find better optics in anything even twice the size, even if it does have a "nickel objective".
CraigE

NG Scope/eye relief/optics

Post by CraigE »

I concur with Warren about the optics....in the shooting game bang for the buck isn't a bad approach. And...there is of course, the mantra of "Quality has no regrets". When the two coincide....the shooter lands in 10x heaven. While I didn't happen to purchase my scope from Pilkington (but from an affiliated relation down under) because I wasn't aware they were selling them, I must attest to the ease with which I can spot/score a target with this scope at 10m. I too wear site enhancers (read "enablers") and mine have several divisions to boot. No problems for either the Edelmans or the 4-bull targets. In fact, I have only missed accurate scoring (thru the lens) on two occasions...and it took a loupe to make the difference anyway. The quality v. cost makes this scope ideal for AP. Other disciplines my require something different, but for me (and some other shooters on the line I have seen) will be a while before there is something better at or near the same money. Several shooters have one in the free pistol kit as well as AP kits. Certainly worth the try.
Your mileage may differ along with your opinion, but this is MHO. CraigE
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I too have a Kowa 500 series scope with the zoom ocular. Using shooting glasses with an iris, it's easy to see out to the 3 ring without pressing the lens against the ocular and the entire B40 when I do at the 20x position. At the 40x, you can see the entire bull at a comfortable distance and up to the 4/5 ring pressed up against the eyepiece. I usually keep mine at 40x for AP just to see the bull with my shooting glasses. From what I understand, the fixed focal length oculars usually have a higher eyepoint (relief) and larger effective aperture for a brighter image then the zoom/varifocal oculars. I bought this scope after decades of using an inexpensive 40mm Bushnell zoom spotting scope with a 9-30x objective. If I were to do this again after using the Kowa, I probably would opt for 60mm or greater scope with a fixed, high-eyepoint ocular at 40mm. The extra cost IMHO, would be worth it.