what is the difference between sk and lapua rounds?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Greg Knutzen

what is the difference between sk and lapua rounds?

Post by Greg Knutzen »

What is the difference between pistol match by sk and pistol king by lapua? Which would work better in a free pistol? Is there better lots?
Bobcat

Sk/Lapua

Post by Bobcat »

Greg:

I think that the Pistol King, like the best of the .22 Lapua match rifle ammo, is maunufacturat at the Lapua Plant at Lapua, Finland. The SK (Schoenebeck) cartridges are manufactured at the SK ammo plant in the former Earst Germany. (And, yes, partly with Lapuan maschinery and supervision).
(Some of the more reasonably priced .22 ammo sold under the Lapua label is also made at the SK plant, I am informed.
Southpaw

sk vs. lapua

Post by Southpaw »

I would say, go to the SK site and send them an email.
I was told that all the Lapua rimfire is now make at the SK plant.
You may get a definitive answer from Champions.
Lapua packaging use to be distinctive and they used to label them as to where they were made. Not so anymore. I just bought a brick of Master and it doesn't indicate where it was made.
I'm sure the Sk pistol match and the Pistol King are very close in spec.

Regards,
Southpaw
gmsych

Post by gmsych »

Had a chance to compare the Lapua made (Midas/Master) and SK made (Super Club) ammo in the Lapua factory. Both are made on different line with different lead, grease and load but with the same cases. You can tell the difference by looking at the lead. Super Club made bigger groups, as expected by the virtue of lower grade, but also feels slightly faster, or it was just louder. For free pistol it may not make too much of noticeable grouping difference but you may get you quieter and more consistent recoil. Also, all the Lapua lots we tested had very nice group sizes and what's more important were very cosistent lot-to-lot... Good luck
Southpaw

Where lapua ammo is made

Post by Southpaw »

I decided to email Lapau myself and asked if all their .22 ammo was now made in the SK factory.

The Lapua R&D rep emailed back to say that Midas, Master, Pistol King, Polar Biathalon, Signum and Scoremax are all made in the Lapua factory in Finland.
That leaves the Super club, Club Standard and whatever is left is made in the Sk facility.

And that's from the "virtual horse's mouth".

Regards,
Southpaw

Re: Where lapua ammo is made

Post by Guest »

Southpaw, you wrote:

"The Lapua R&D rep emailed back to say that Midas, Master, Pistol King, Polar Biathalon, Signum and Scoremax are all made in the Lapua factory in Finland.
That leaves the Super club, Club Standard and whatever is left is made in the Sk facility".

This is what Mr. Bobcat told you above, Southpaw.
Southpaw

Post by Southpaw »

Didn't know Bobcat was in the employ of Lapua! My apologies!

Southpaw
Greg Knutzen

Post by Greg Knutzen »

Thank to you all for the input. I tried the pistol king in my morini free pistol and it worked great. Not one of the cases failed to eject. I experienced some ejection hang ups with pistol match but loved the feel. the wolf had a constant hang up on ejection. I wonder that is the difference in grease between the pistol king and pistol match. If the brass is the same then it must be the grease that was giving me a nightmare. The only eley that worked well was the eps.