Oh...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Evia

Oh...

Post by Evia »

I'm surprised also to hear that you have the Aguila ammo in such a good level!. I guess that my Mexican shooting buddies will be very surprised too when I tell them.

I just sent to Industrias Tecnos (Aguila Manufacturer) 8 shoots of Match Pistol that failed to ingnite in my Hämmerli 208S. They showed very strong firing pin marks. They were checked by an army gunsmith.

We have a theory: Maybe Aguila exports all their premium lots and sell us another quality of ammo.

Who knows?

Manuel, Mexico
Tom

Storage issue?

Post by Tom »

Hi,

You may be correct that they choose to sell the most reliable lots in the USA to increase brand image. However, I do want to make a comment as to the storage of 22's.

A number of years ago I purchased a few cases of PMC Zapper for plinking with friends. Being cheap tin can ammo I didn't put it in the same storage containers as my match ammo. Except for 3 bricks that didn't fit in the cabinet, those went into the airtight container with the match ammo. We shot it all summer. As the summer went on, we had more and more misfires. When we first started shooting, every one went off, then after a month we had maybe 1 in 500 that would be bad, by the end of the summer, 1 to 2 in every 50 was bad. I just figured it was the cheap ammo showing its true colors. However, when we had burned all the stuff in the cabinet, I went for the 3 bricks I had kept with the match ammo. To my susprise, there was not one failure in 1500 rounds.

As 22LR ammo does not use sealers as Military and most centerfire ammo do, it is free to absorb moisture from the air. Same brand, lot, and case, the only difference was the storage method. The stuff kept in a woden cabinet exposed to high humidity in a basement had numerous failures, the 3 bricks kept in airtight US 40mm ammo cans with desicant packs had no failures. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the moisture affected the priming compound and caused the misfires.

How are you storing your ammo?

My 2 cents,

Tom
Evia

Good point

Post by Evia »

Good point Tom. I live in a place with almost 100% 0f relative humidity. Maybe the problem is how the local Tecnos dealer store the cartridges. I purchase them by bricks of 10 boxes of 50 cartridges, and use them about two boxes weekly. Maybe that's the answer