N.S.R.A Board of Management Resignation

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dougal

N.S.R.A Board of Management Resignation

Post by dougal »

Just so all you Target shooters are aware of what is going on at the N.S.R.A in Great Britain

Resignation of Charity Trustee

A good friend of mine has resigned and I have his permission to post this letter

Hello everyone, some of you will already know I have resigned from NSRA BoM. This has come about because legal advice was taken by the paid staff at NSRA to find out if I was entitled to the financial information I was asking to see. This opened up a large can of worms, more about that later.

Many of you reading this will know that it is the duty and responsibilty of trustees of a charity to be fully aware and conversent with all matters financial concerning that charity. I asked to see the profit and loss accounts and balance sheet for each NSRA company. The only figures made available were the group figures for the 3 companies. Therefore, I could not satisfy myself of financial probity.

The BoM cannot effectively manage NSRA nor its subsidiaries. Most of the directors have to hold down full time jobs and cannot give the necessary time to be effective. Therefore, the paid staff have been taking on more of the hands on running and decision making; mainly the Secretary. If the membership of NSRA is happy with this situation then let it continue; you are getting your shooting, national meetings, national leagues, individual comps and an excellent insurance scheme. If on the other hand you feel like me that it goes against the grain, then the membership must force through changes.

The future of NSRA is at stake when the present paid staff retire or leave. The Charity Commission published a study paper concerning experiences of charities where trustees allowed their charities to be run by one or two of the trustees or in some cases the paid employees. In every instance without exception those charities ran into trouble and had to call in the Commission to sort things out.

NSRA is not master of its own Constitution. Trustees of NSRA charity are not authorised by its Constitution to trade with the charity. This is why I have resigned. Even though I declared my conflict of interest when I was elected to the board, the paid staff were ignorant of this part of the constitution which automatically disqualifies me. There is a conflict between the professional advisers to NSRA. Mazars the auditors believe that trustees can trade but such trading must be declared on the annual accounts; they have stated that for the last 20 years. Owing to my presence on the board, and the questions I raised, advice was taken from Wilsons the solicitors, part of which states that trustees cannot trade with the charity.

It's a mess. According to Companies House the NSRA Secretary has no less than 7 company appointments. Who is he working for? NSRA charity, NSRA Ltd and Bisley Sports Wholesale Ltd are the known companies, what are the others? Is he drawing salaries from the others?

Finally, the not inconsiderable loan to NSRA from Cherry Nash. It has grown from £200,000 to £280,000. Is it insured against the event of sudden death and, therefore, its immediate repayment? If there are insufficent monies from NSRA to repay it, then the trustees become responsible, if they cannot then the membership must repay it, or is this another Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club situation where they lost ownership of their ground, which is now a commercial shopping centre?

YOU, THE MEMBERSHIP, MUST ASK SOME FUNDAMENTAL QUESTIONS ABOUT THE WAY YOUR ASSOCIATION IS BEING MANAGED.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Yes this is a worry, but I am not sure why you posted it here.

The politics behind it will mean nothing to the overwhelming majority of TT readers.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would have to agree with David. I am a British shooter and a member of the NSRA and I don't really understand what it means to me so I can't see how it's relevant to the US scene.

Rob.
dougal

Post by dougal »

I quite agree that this is of no relevance to most of the TT readers.
However by posting the letter on here at least it is reaching shooters from
Great Britain who may not use other Forums.
As your replies have proved.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Dougal,
Both of us have already seen the letter on UK forum, forum.stirton.com as well, hence our comments. That said I don't mind where the letter gets posted but if the situation were reversed, I would have no interest in someone in 'USA shootings' resignation.

Rob.