Gun safes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

LesJ

Gun safes

Post by LesJ »

Does anybody have any experience with gun safes surviving house fire or should I say guns inside of them? I know that they are rated to certain temperature, but that doesn't tell much what happens to the guns inside of them when safe is in the middle of the fire. I am weighting my options on getting safe, steel security cabinet at the fraction of the safe cost or to increase my insurance coverage.
Thanks in advance.
mitty

safes/fires

Post by mitty »

There was a big discussion of this a couple/three years ago on the Bullseye list.

IIRC the problem is that the heat shielding material is basically water, in the form of gypsum board or something like that. The water turns to steam by absorbing heat, slowing the temp rise in the safe. So you end up giving the guns a high temperature steam bath and by the time the safe can be opened they are all rusty.

You should probably check the bullseye list archives for a higher fidelity report; sorry I don't have the URL handy as I dropped off the list a while back.
anonimous

Safes...

Post by anonimous »

Take a look at this link regarding safes and fireproofing:

http://www.sturdysafe.com/new_page_1.htm

BTW, the Sturdy Safe Co make very well built safes for a reasonable price. They also at times have safes with slight cosmetic flaws (if you can find them) that they sell at discounts. They are way better quality that the Sportsman safes and the like that you find out West.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Another low cost (non-fire safe) option is to buy a Construction Site strong box ... used for tool storage at constructions sites ... come in all sizes ... use with heavy duty padlock ... weigh box down with inexpensive 25 lb barbell weights from sports store ...
sandy741

gun Safe

Post by sandy741 »

A friend who sell gun safes, indicated the major flaw in temperature control is not during the fire, but when the building falls and the safe is at the bottom and now is a baked potato in the bottom of the BBQ. The temps will exceed that of the flames and may stay that high for many hours depending on the amount of water placed on the structure after the fire is "out".
Chris

gun safe

Post by Chris »

I find it interesting that it appears that one of the questions being asked is if you should buy a safe to or increase your insurance. Do not try and save a buck and not get a safe.

For one you should absolutely buy a safe to keep your guns safe and out of the hands of someone that they do not belong to. This would include criminals and KIDS. We as gun owners have the responsibly to keep our guns out of hands of people that have no reason to touch them.

A safe is to keep "control" of your guns. (this is what I think gun control should be. If more gun owners owned safes there would be more kids alive) Insurance is so you can replace your guns if some how they do burn up in a fire or get stolen when they are not in your safe. If I would have had the money when I got my safe I would have paid for one with fire proofing.

I just feel like responsible gun owners are paying for what has happened to people that do not take care to do something so easy to help keep guns out of the hands of those that they do not belong in.
mitty

safes/yes

Post by mitty »

I agree with Chris. And anther point: Before I bought my safe, several people told me that it would immediately fill up -- so buy a big one.

They were right. In addition to protecting my guns, my brother appeared one day with several guns for me to store, plus there are the income tax and investment records, the computer backup discs, Grandma Eileen's gold coins, ....

So yes, get one, and make it a big one!

Geo.
aa2tn

Gun Safes

Post by aa2tn »

I agree with both mitty & Cris. Buy a safe and insurance if you need to but the safe is more important. Make it large and fireproof. Also a good option to consider is an electronic lock, they are so handy and quick to get into. When I got my "Fort Knox" brand the guy said he had sold 3 safes to three guys that bought them together at the same time. He had 3 safes in stock but one had the electronic lock. One of the guys decided he would spring for the lock (I think $50 to $75). The next time he saw the guy, the guy said how he loved it and his buddies wished they had it. A safe is a fair investment for most of us so make sure you choose the right one. I only wish I had gotten a bigger one. Oh well, I can always get another.....Jim.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

When building a house, it is nice to have either one room of the basement or under the front porct hollowed out, and a safe door put in. I know three people that really like this as a safe. In one case, the guy has a 8 x 10 foot room, with a safe door and a concrete ceiling.

That may not be a CURRENT suggestion, but it pays to think ahead. Besides, I don't want to cart my Safe back up the stairs.

Mike
Wichita KS
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

Thanks to all for your input. You convinced me to go with gun safe, so I came home with new safe that I just purchased half an hour ago. If only you were here to help me unload this beast. Thanks again.