2004 FINAL OLYMPIC TRAP TRIALS

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USAS

2004 FINAL OLYMPIC TRAP TRIALS

Post by USAS »

FORT BENNING, Ga. – It was a battle until the end in women’s trap, but Collyn Loper (Indian Springs, Ala.) eventually walked away the victor and the first member of the 2004 U.S. Olympic Shooting Team Saturday at Hook range in Fort Benning, Ga.

Loper and U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit’s Staff Sgt. Joetta Dement (Seale, Ala.) were neck-and-neck throughout most of the day’s competition. It wasn’t until a tie-breaking round after the finals that Loper finally managed to beat Dement by one measly target.

“That was probably one of the hardest things I’ll ever do in my life,” Loper said after the 25-target tie-breaking final. “I thought we would do a miss-and-your-out tie-breaker, but after I heard we had to do a full round, I knew I had to remain focused. I don’t think I have ever had to concentrate that hard for that long. Dement was a great competitor.”

The 17-year-old Loper, a junior at Oak Mountain High School, is naturally right handed. But being born blind in her right eye, forced her to train her body to shoot left, an obstacle that doesn’t seem to have any affect on her shooting.

There was no big battle for a spot on the men’s team, like there was for the women. Two-time Olympians Lance Bade (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and USAMU’s Sgt. 1st Class Bret Erickson (Buena Vista, Ga.) stole the show in men’s trap, making their third U.S. Olympic Team. Bade and Erickson went into the final 11 targets up on their competitors. Bade finished with a 501 total score, while Erickson finished with a 499.

Both will also compete in the double trap Olympic Team Trials, which start tomorrow. Erickson currently leads the double trap event, but isn’t looking to compete as hard as he has been in these last few matches. “Now that I’ve made the team,” Erickson says, “there is a huge weight that’s lifted. I’m just going out to have fun.”

For full results log on to www.usashooting.org

Newsline No. 3 ◄
Editor: Sara Greenlee

Today
AT THE RANGES
Trap Matches, Finals and Awards

Sunday
AT THE RANGES
Double Trap Official Training

Monday
AT THE RANGES
Double Trap Matches

Tuesday
AT THE RANGES
Double Trap Matches, Finals and Awards

Men’s Trap
Final Top-Six
1. Lance Bade, 501; 2. Bret Erickson, 499; 3. Mike Herman, 490; 4. Matt Ruchong, 489 (25); 5. Seth Inman, 489 (24); 6.Matthew Wallace, 488.

Women’s Trap
Final Top-Six
1. Collyn Loper, 471 (24); 2. Joetta Dement, 471 (23); 3. Amanda Dorman, 460; 4. Theresa DeWitt, 452; 5. Kelly Doll, 432; 6. Emma