Need trainingplan/advice on dumbell lifting.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Leffe

Need trainingplan/advice on dumbell lifting.

Post by Leffe »

Hello!

A facelift, nice :)

I´m a pistolshooter and I need to strengthen my shoulders and back. I would like to get hold on a serious plan on how to do this the right way.
I´ve visited all the "standard answer" -websites but could not find what I was looking for. There´s to little details in the information.
I am interested in how to aim the right musclegroups ,how hard I should work them and how to avoid erroneous moves that causes damage to the stability or my hold!

Is there anyone out there who can help me with this?
deleted1

Weight Lifting Caution

Post by deleted1 »

I suggest caution and go slowly---you are not training for an AAU Weightlifting Federation tournament. I recommend that your free weights do not exceed ten pounds per hand ( 5 would be better in the beginning)---avoid going above that for several months---work in repetitions of 10X per excercise and rest for 5 minutes in between excercises---limit your reps to one set of 10/excercise---as you progress you should increase the number of reps and exercise repeats. I really suggest a trip to a local gym or YMC(H)A and get some instruction, the tendency is to always overdo the issue and then we get tendonitis, muscle strain with spasms----goodbye to another shooter. I have heard of all kinds of concoctions from different sources and they are a recipe for failure and injury. When I was coaching I let the weight coach from the Academy prescribe the weight training for the rifle & pistolshooters---he was the expert---go find an expert---pay a couple of bucks for the advice and follow it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Balance dumbell work on both sides. Take it easy and do not strain the elbow or wrists. No jerky movements.

Work with a light 20-30 pound curl bar (the wiggly bent kind)
Work from the clean position and do presses out and up at about 45 degrees sort of a 1/2 military press 1/2 bench press while standing.

Warm up, strettch, and cool down slowly. After a while isolate biceps, triceps, and all angles of wrist work. Then add shoulder isolations. Don't forget low back, glutes and abs. And cardio.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

A link to a program used up North... good place to start,eh.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/stren ... ng-ont.pdf

Larry
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

Personal coaching experience here, Don't drop the weights on your foot!!! Our newest 3-P air rifle shooter did that, now Kneeling is impossible until the cast come off, and since the bottom of the cast is ROUND, standing is interesting too.

Mike
Wichita KS

P.S. Fortunately, he's radically improving in PRONE.
Jim B

Weight Training

Post by Jim B »

I noticed that this was for pistol training. Is there anything for rifle training?

Jim
funtoz wrote:A link to a program used up North... good place to start,eh.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/stren ... ng-ont.pdf

Larry
mikeschroeder

Dumb bells and shooting

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

For what it's worth, my coach class instructor had a boy in the club whose score dropped 5-10 points during the six months he took a weight training course in high school. I would guess the tightness effected his wobble area, but that's a guess.

Mike
Wichita KS
Len_R

Re: Need trainingplan/advice on dumbell lifting.

Post by Len_R »

This is going to sound earthy crunchy but try Yoga. You do not need a lot of muscle mass to hold up a pistol, you do need stamina, flexability, and concentration -- Yoga provides this and more.

Yogatrains both mind and body at the same time, not treating the two as different components of the same system. The synergy of yoga is perfect for the shooter.

earthy crunchies over...
sbarnum

Find a trainer

Post by sbarnum »

For my son and our junior shooting group, we hooked up with a local trainer for advice. Initially, no one had worked with shooters, so we had some ground work to cover.

I took in my coaching books and info on the shooting positions. My son spent the first hour with the trainer going through the positions and the requirements of the matches - (time in position). What and when to eat wa also covered.

Form there the trainer developed a complete workout - including cardiavascular training for my son and a variant for the other shooters that did not have full gym access.

The resulting program was focused on the total body fitness. It was for rifle shooting - but the back and shoulders and abs and legs received much attention. The sets were long and slow. Light weights with many repetitions (20-25) to add strength but not significantly increase bulk qand stretching to maintain the flexibility

The advantage for us was working directly with a sports professional on a specific sport.

Good luck and good training.
Leffe P

Tank you all!

Post by Leffe P »

Well, I guess there are as many methods as there are coaches :)
This is an interresting subject though wich is worth exploring further.
Thank you all for interresting tips and advices.
BR