List of Shooting Competition Associations

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SlartyBartFast

List of Shooting Competition Associations

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Has anyone anywhere attempted to create a comprehensive listing of shooting sport associations that run or oversee competitions?
A list of shooting sport disciplines?
A gargantuan and Sisyphean task to be sure, but would be beneficial IMO to both prospective competitors and the associations themselves.
Competitors to find competitions and disciplines that best match their interests and equipment, associations to better understand their relation to others and perhaps foster resource sharing and cooperation.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
PaulB

Re: List of Shooting Competition Associations

Post by PaulB »

Quite a task if you are talking about international, national, regional, state and local associations that are across the whole world.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Being a people's encyclopedia that anyone can edit I suggest we add to their list.
I might start by adding NSRA which is embarrassingly missing its own page.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

TenMetrePeter wrote:
Being a people's encyclopedia that anyone can edit I suggest we add to their list.
Ahem. Though certainly look to expand and improve it.

Whoever added the link in the listings obviously didn't look very hard. They just added what they thought the article title should be instead of looking to see if it already existed. The "of the UK" is entirely superfluous. It's not a part of their name, and they do not use it (unlike the NRA who do actively cite themselves as "NRA of the United Kingdom" to disambiguate themselves from the US organisation).
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Many of the links in the Wikipedia post are broken, or do not work as may have been intended. Perhaps those who know what, is what, here, can update them.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Yeah, a while back I looked at the Canadian shooting sports page and added a LOT to it. Then there seemed to be a pissing contest as to which firearms lobby group should be mentioned first and I seemed to have simply begun the trip down the rabbit hole.

Someone else does seem to have done a decent job cleaning some of the beginning descriptions up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_sports_in_Canada

I started playing with the info I could find on the ISSF and ISSF regional federations and created this by importing a spreadsheet:
https://kumu.io/Slartibartfast/internat ... akeholders

Really think there needs to be a database driven project for all this information. Data could be self reported and regularly verified by different representatives.

And most importantly, the data has to be easy to access by anyone who wants it. I've found that I can't get any response out of the NSSF by asking if it was possible to access the raw data or have an output of their range listing database.

The sport really needs some cooperation. Not to mention a truly driven webmaster and designer to help better present so many clubs and organisations. IMO, a concerted and cooperative effort to share resources and revenue (shared advertising platform) would serve to help everyone.
- FAS SP607
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Hemmers wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:
Ahem. Though certainly look to expand and improve it.

Whoever added the link in the listings obviously didn't look very hard. They just added what they thought the article title should be instead of looking to see if it already existed. The "of the UK" is entirely superfluous. It's not a part of their name, and they do not use it (unlike the NRA who do actively cite themselves as "NRA of the United Kingdom" to disambiguate themselves from the US organisation).
Well the NSRA link has been updated this morning. Thanks whoever did that.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

m1963 wrote:Many of the links in the Wikipedia post are broken, or do not work as may have been intended. Perhaps those who know what, is what, here, can update them.
It's probably worth clarifying that if you're referring to the red links, they're not "broken" per se (a "broken" or "stale" link is normally one to a page which no longer exists), simply that the article has not yet been created. The red link is a placeholder.

Someone has looked at the list and added the name of the relevant organisation so that readers can see it exists, but they haven't had the time or inclination to start a full-fledged article for it. As someone who has contributed and indeed written a few articles from scratch, it's quite an undertaking to get together even a basic stub worth reading that's reasonably structured with decent citations and a sensible infobox.

What is also important is to remember that there may in fact be a Wikipedia article for an organisation, but in a non-English Wiki. You're only seeing articles there in en.wikipedia.org. There could be (and probably are) more comprehensive articles about the German or French Associations (for instance) in de.wikipedia.org or fr.wikipedia.org.
SlartyBartFast wrote:I started playing with the info I could find on the ISSF and ISSF regional federations and created this by importing a spreadsheet:
https://kumu.io/Slartibartfast/internat ... akeholders
Nice, not come across kumo.io before. Going to have to have a play with that. My initial reaction to your tree there is that it's potentially a little misleading if we're talking about "stakeholders", because (for instance), the European organisations are clustered around a Europe node but AFAIK, groups like British Shooting deal directly with the ISSF - they don't go via the ESC for instance. There's that balance between making the tree usable (it wouldn't be helpful if every single national governing body had a link to the ISSF), but also preserving the actual relationships between bodies and chains of hierarchy.

However, as a way of finding organisations, it's excellent and breaking out geographically like that is much more hierarchical.

The other problem with all those hierarchical representations of course is that there's no single global body. The ISSF for instance want nothing to do with Fullbore Rifle outside of their 300m discipline, so the ICFRA would be at the top of their own tree, as would the IPSC and WFTF. Former Olympic Disciplines like Running Deer are also out in the cold in favour of the ISSF's overly-sanitised "Running Target". But that is more a reflection on the politics and fragmentation of the sport itself rather than anyone's data visualisation skills!
TenMetrePeter wrote:Well the NSRA link has been updated this morning. Thanks whoever did that.
That would be me. Probably should have mentioned I went in and furtled a couple of bits after posting here.
Last edited by Hemmers on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

For larger matches in Europe, that are not ISSF World Cups, I always consult the calendar from the European Shooting Confederation.

They tend to include links for each of the respective National Governing Bodies (NGB). So you should be able to get contact information for each.

http://www.esc-shooting.org/calendar/

They show matches organized by the different NGBs for all disciplines including Running Target and Centerfire Pistol.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Hemmers wrote:Nice, not come across kumo.io before. Going to have to have a play with that.
As I said, just started playing with it.
Have lots of ideas, but not necessarily the skills to implement them. IMO, the start is a database. Then export to the visualisation.

Outputting from a database to Wikipedia pages for each sport, organisation, and hierarchy could be possible as well. Or creating a CMS webpage that does that.

Start including organisations, links, disciplines, equipment rules.

Then have some active/passive data collection to seek out missing information and keep information up to date.
- FAS SP607
Paul

Post by Paul »

LOT of info on this website: http://www.shooting.by/